kissing best friend on the lips.

When I was younger, I went through a phase where I was kissing everyone on the lips hello and goodbye. And then I wondered why my girlfriend always acted so jealous.....

These days, I know a few women who kiss me hello on the lips, but it doesn't seem so normal, and I'm not as comfortable with it as I once was because it's so easy to blur a friend/romance line sometimes. Take it from someone who has slept with many of his female friends over the years. The best policy is a hug IMHO.

I did, and he thought i was overreacting.

I guess it has to do with cultural differences. He said he wouldn't do it if he was with me, in a serious relationship. But I would still feel awkward whenever I was around his best friends, because I'd know they used to lip kiss all the time etc.

He's cute and sweet and nice, but I guess that's over... can't look past that.

and this is aside from the fact I think men and women can't really be friends...

I wrote Netherlands, because the guy I'm talking to is from there, and he just told me about this yesterday.

I was pretty shocked and I found it a deal-breaker.

Just wanted to see what other people thought about it, and if I was just overreacting.

I'm not sure of the customs there and if this is widely accepted or not. A french girl that a buddy of mine dated always kissed everyone because she was raised in an environment where that wasn't out of the ordinary.

Dating people from another cultural upbringing can be difficult due to little things like this, its best to get all the info and try to see things from all angles. Talk to him and let him know how you feel, if he doesn't understand and its still a deal breaker then move on.

who here has friends (of the opposite sex), that they kiss on the lips as a hello? (no tongue)

would you be ok with someone you are dating to do this?

yea.....he would have to be gay or not feel anything.

I mean, if you are a guy then you guys probably wouldn't be kissing each other on the lip

so why should it be different because you are a girl?

draw the line carefully, good friends are hard to come by

My best friend is a guy and we kiss on the lips everytime we say goodbye, but not hello...we also have a somewhat confusing relationship to begin with though...never any sex or anything but we've certainly made a habit of the kissing goodbye thing (no tongue)...what do you think that means...anything?

I agree with others that it is a "no-go". It's totally unnecessary & if you mentioned to your bf it bothered you (in the context of cultural differences) then one would hope it wouldn't be a big deal for him to kiss on the cheek, or give a hug, or what is wrong with simply saying hello or goodbye....

and this is aside from the fact I think men and women can't really be friends..

Well, I can see why it may have seemed 10 times worse to you ;-) Though you may have an issue with that one in other relationships. There are too often complications, yes, though sometimes men & woman can just be friends.

A good friendship will have solid boundaries & complete & primary respect for any romantic relationship going on outside of the friendship, with any one of the people in the friendship. It's easy to tell the difference, which is a good thing.

Archived