Giving my Toddler Medicine is a Nightmare

BellaDonna

He won't take oral medication, at all.

If you hold him down he either spits it back out, chokes, or if he manages to swallow it- he will literally make himself throw up. It's terrible.

The pediatrician recommended giving medication via suppository instead. That was pretty bad. It wasn't hard to do but he got so mad at me for it and now I am worried that he will be paranoid about diaper changes (which are already a battle).

I don't have many options here- since he needs to take medication for a fever so he can feel better. He has to have it- it's just so stressful.

My son won't even eat a gummy/chewable children's vitamin. I tried hiding it with fruit snacks and he immediately spit it out. So I hide vitamin drops in his juice- there is one brand that he has not detected. But the medications (even the flavored ones) don't blend/hide well in a beverage.

Any ideas? He even gets mad when I use a temporal thermometer on his forehead. He freaks and tantrums at the sight of it. All it does it gently touch his forehead. He is a very combative little patient. It just makes a child getting sick all the more worse when you have to battle them and they become traumatized from receiving the medication and end up hating you.

The idea that he will need another dose in the morning is stressful to even think about. ](*,)

If he takes it then he gets something he really wants immediately afterwards. He must swallow and not spit it out to get the reward. Make the reward small so he doesn't get a huge amount for each dose.

One chocolate M&M as a reward might work for that- but he'll have to open his eyes, stop screaming and gagging to see it. It might be worth a try though. I'm desperate.

I'm trying to decide which is the worst ordeal -the oral medication or the suppository. I wish he would just take the oral one.

It's just tylenol

Does he tantrum over just this stuff or more than that?

My philosophy is show them who's boss, firmly, and then give lots of hugs and kisses after, perhaps even a sweet. Better to tame the tiger while it's still a kitten.

He has typical toddler tantrums (nothing too bad) but the reaction to medication is different and is one filled with fear, real tears, and he just gets terrified.

Can you give him the suppositories while he sleeps?

Well, I really don't want to wake him up if I can avoid it- especially if he is sick and getting rest. He would definitely notice it.

It was easy to sneak it during a routine diaper change but he got so mad and upset that he went to my husband screaming and sat on him for 2 hours and didn't even look in my direction during that time. Though it was better than him choking I suppose. I just think future diaper changes may be more of a battle now.

I hate being feared. I imagine it is scary for him because he doesn't really understand why I am doing it.

My daughter is just like this BellaDonna. She has a very sensitive gag reflex, and the moment anything she doesn't want to taste passes her tongue, she gags and throws up. Pills are impossible, even at almost 11 years old.

When she was a toddler, I had to go the suppository route, even though it made her angry as anything at me. I took it in stride, as best as I could - she wasn't permanently scarred emotionally from it, and I did my best to explain to her that the medicine was to help her feel better. She still hated me AT THE TIME for it, but she did get over it.

Sometimes there isn't an easy painless solution. I would reward her with a little treat after the suppository, and that made a bit of a difference, and told her over and over again that I loved her.

It does get easier though. Now at almost 11, I can get her to take the liquid medications as long as she has milk to wash it down immediately - I mean IMMEDIATELY - otherwise she will throw it back up.

My advice is to go the suppository route. It's not easy, he's not going to like it at all, but it needs to be done.

I found this on the Internet:

* Ask for a higher concentration of medicine so that you can give less. For example, instead of one teaspoon of Vantin at the 50mg/5ml concentration, your child could take 1/2 teaspoon of the 100mg/5ml concentration and get the same dosage of medicine in a smaller dose.

* When possible, choose chewable or dissolvable medicines instead of syrups. Many cold medicines and fever reducers are now available as chewables, which many kids like.

* Give your child some control over taking his medicine, such as choosing which spoon to take it with, when he is going to take it (before or after he gets dressed or brushes his teeth), etc. For over the counter medicines, let your child choose the color or flavor of medicine that you buy.

* Offer a 'chaser' after he takes his medicine to cover up the taste

* Consider dipping a spoon in chocolate syrup and placing the dosage on the coated spoon (if your pediatrician or pharmacist approves). This way, your child's tongue and taste buds only 'taste' the chocolate syrup.

* Create a routine of when your child takes his medicine, especially if he is taking them long term for a chronic condition.

* Teach your kids to swallow pills. Although many kids don't learn to swallow pills until they are ten years old or older, any school age child might be able to learn if you practice.

* Help your child understand why he needs to take his medicine to feel better.

* Consider using a suppository if you really need to give your child medicine. For example, if your child has a high fever and feels miserable and won't take an oral fever reducer, you might try FeverAll, a suppository form of acetaminophen (Tylenol).

* Avoid mixing your child's medicine with food or liquids unless you have been told that it is okay. Although it seems like a good idea, downsides of mixing medicine with food can include your child associating the medicine with food and becoming a picky eater, or not getting a full dose if he doesn't finish eating or drinking whatever you mixed the medicine with.

I don't think he'd understand charts or any complex reward system or discussions at this point.

I'm thinking an M&M might work, eventually. I'll have to show it to him right beforhand. Then again his apetite has not been the best either so I wonder if it will still have allure.

The suppository was definitely easier to give- but that was the first time. I'll have to see how he is tomorrow for a 2nd attempt for the next dose. Dread it.

Thanks for that list, Bella20. I did try this one

* Consider using a suppository if you really need to give your child medicine. For example, if your child has a high fever and feels miserable and won't take an oral fever reducer, you might try FeverAll, a suppository form of acetaminophen (Tylenol).

The chocolate syrup one might be a good idea.

I thought I had found my answer when I saw the dissolvable tablets in the store but then he just spit it right out as soon as it touched his mouth. So between forcing a tablet to be injested and forcing liquid- the liquid is easier in that regard.

Thanks for that. Maybe I can try to let him eat M&Ms while his diaper is being changed as a distraction. Luckily he is very good about brushing his teeth so I know I can clean his teeth well after the candy.

I guess I'll probably continue with the suppositories. I'll be the bad guy because my husband will not do it. ](*,)He wants nothing to do with the suppositories.

That sucks! My daughter brings her tylenol to us and gets mad if we won't give her some. I don't know what the heck happened. But she refuses to allow us to brush her teeth. She has to do it herself and she only does a half decent job (any suggestions?)

How about diluting it ridiculously in a lot of juice and let him drink it over the course of an hour or so? It'd be kind of time released then and so diluted he couldn't taste it. Anything's gotta be better than a suppository!

Bella, what about relaxing him a bit first? I remember seeing that Johnson and Johnson bedtime bath stuff and it is supposed to be relaxing maybe if you put a small amount on a washcloth and wipe him down with it using a soft touch he might be relaxed enough that his initial response to the meds will be less and you can administer them?

I have the calming prodicts and I love them. They basicially just smell like lavendar though.

He woke up this morning feeling a little better but he will need another dose of Tylenol soon. It's too bad motrin didn't make suppositories because motrin lasts 6 hours when compared to tylenol's 4 hours- so it would mean less doses.

pretend to eat the pills in front of him. act like they are yummy. then give him one when he really wants it.

this works in theory. not sure about real life. but monkey see monkey do is a powerful thing.

When I worked at a daycare, this is exactly what we had to do with the more difficult toddlers.

Archived