Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Was your ex selfish?

Leveller

Was your ex selfish?

If so how do you get it accross to a selfish person that their actions are/were unacceptable?

Although I have a PhD my ex managed to play on my feelings and manipulate me to the point where I didn't know whether I was coming or going. She knows I still love her, is seeing someone else, and wants to remain 'friends'.

leda
    I HATE it when they say they just want to be friends! I'm too angry to hear those words from my ex. It's another selfish thing that they need, so they can clear their conscience and sleep at night I think. The best thing you can do is cut your ex off for good. It will become clear to her that she is the one who screwed up.

Crazyaboutdogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Leveller [Register to see the link]
    If so how do you get it accross to a selfish person that their actions are/were unacceptable?

Although I have a PhD my ex managed to play on my feelings and manipulate me to the point where I didn't know whether I was coming or going. She knows I still love her, is seeing someone else, and wants to remain 'friends'.
    You tell them and then you walk away from them. Selfish people have thick skulls...you can tell them that their behaviour is horrible but they deny, deny, deny, twist blame around, create a storm in a teacup in order to deflect from their wrongdoing etc. Intelligence and success has no bearing on selfish people because these people themselves have PhDs in control and manipulation. They may be dumb as posts in everything else but their claim to fame and where they excel is in control, manipulation and often emotional abuse. They prey on people who love them and people who have integrity. Those people are an easy mark for them...kind of like a person with a wallet in his back pocket is an easy mark for a thief. Unscrupulous people take advantage of those with integrity and those with a warm heart, no matter how smart they are. What you can do, however, is refuse to be friends with your ex and shut her out of your life now that she has moved on to someone else. That would allow you to take back control over your life.

itsallgrand
    My ex was selfish.

Relief came when I finally realized, and let go of, wanting or trying to teach or to change his behavior in any way.

So that meant accepting that I had to walk away. Not to get results from him. For myself; it was the only thing to do in order to stay true to myself.

It's easy to get wrapped up in someone else to the point where it becomes difficult to see anymore what is them/their and what is your own.

Follow your own inner voice and you will be just fine. I know it's cliche. It is so true though. Sometimes in order to hear it correctly; you need to move away from and not have to wrestle with the outside noise of someone else for a while. And sometimes once you've done that you realize their voice is totally incongruous with what you want in your life.

Leveller
    My god this is SO TRUE. I will say this though my ex is very clever but has dumbed herself down to fit in. Us not working/and not getting back together was down to her pretty much alone. The way she is doing in the current relationship is following the same pattern ours did. I did very little wrong, I loved her unconditionally. She is a selfish liar who is unhappy with her own life. She probably (almost certainly) wants both me and him in her life. She treats those close to her like crap and they put up with it. At some point in her life this will all come crashing down. The more I am away from her mind games and manipulation the more I see her for what and who she is (and where I have gone wrong). None of this means I don't care for her and love her but there are limits to the extent selfish behaviour will be tolerated.

I have known many men and women put up with all sorts of crap over the years perhaps for fear of being alone or low self-esteem. This is not a recipe for happiness or for a balanced relationship.

Leveller
    Your right. In order to think clearly and prioritise yourself you must get rid of the outside (background) noise of the selfish ex. Otherwise they will take, take, take and give little or nothing in return with no personal cost to themsleves. My ex was always up front about her personality traits (lying, selfishness and potential for infidelity) but these were not issues that manifested themsleves until I stopped being myself and became a doormat after losing my job and having to move back to our village and live with my mother. I am much more of myself now.

mad rabbits
    Gold Member
    The whole "actions count more than words" thing goes both ways - it applies to the dumper (who says all the right things but basically doesn't give a crap about you)...but it also applies to the dumpee.

What I mean is if you tell someone they are selfish they can't hear you. Your continuing a relationship with them, on the other hand, validates their perception that their behaviour is acceptable, they aren't selfish, they are caring people...otherwise why would you hang around?

When you walk away...then they hear you...actions speak louder than words.

Leveller
    Quote Originally Posted by badhabits [Register to see the link]
    The whole "actions count more than words" thing goes both ways - it applies to the dumper (who says all the right things but basically doesn't give a crap about you)...but it also applies to the dumpee.

What I mean is if you tell someone they are selfish they can't hear you. Your continuing a relationship with them, on the other hand, validates their perception that their behaviour is acceptable, they aren't selfish, they are caring people...otherwise why would you hang around?

When you walk away...then they hear you...actions speak louder than words.
    This is also true and I'm glad I've learned to walk away. I have a gut instinct that not only will she get back in touch but that she might also want to get back into my life. She has admitted I am the best looking person she has ever gone out with, still 'loves me as a person' and we still get on like a house on fire despite saying 'we're worlds apart'. Fool of a woman.

mad rabbits
    Gold Member
    If she knows you mean business she'll stay away.

Just block her entirely. Block her number and her emails - the lot.

That says you mean business.

Mustachio
    Platinum Member
    I agree with everything that has been said before.

People who are truly selfish will never learn! You cannot let them know because as was said, they will twist it around and call you selfish for trying to hurt them by calling them selfish.

Quick story about my ex. She cheated on me, pulled me back in numerous times, didnt do very much to right her wrongs, then became extremely needy of me and my time to the point where I began to pull away from everyone else in my life. At one point I accused her of being selfish, the most admittance I got was her telling me that yes she was selfish in this relationship because of me, either because I was wrong for her or because I was not meeting her needs. Exactly, not meeting her selfish needs, and therefore somehow her selfishness was only caused by me, not her. Give me a break.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Really messed up
Ugh. I hate myself My ex and I broke up in March due to distance however now distance isn't an issue due to unforeseen circumstances. He however
He's still emotionally hooked on his ex
My boyfriend of 2 years is still in close contact with his ex. At first I was ok with it until I eventually asked for more info. He told me they go
Living and sleeping with ex-boyfriend
So I started seeing someone who was a really close friend through high school as well as the past few years. I moved from the mainland to Hawaii to
exgirlfriend deleted my whatsapp
we still talk but she deleted me on whatsapp, the picture wont appear. So i cant see her picture but she can see mines. We talk every 3rd or fourth
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
girlfriend bpd?
Hi all.long story just wanted a bit of info.my ex girlfriend of 7.5 years was perfect at first.then I started to see her telling a few lies here and
My girlfriend put wealth over me
It was only 5 days ago that she told me she is going for another as if her parents had made her marry a rich guy. Ok it is right every parent wants

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice