My period is 23 days late, but I have negative pregnancy tests.

sarahN

It just occurred to me the other day that I never got my period this month. So I went to my calendar and actually counted the days from when I was supposed to get my period, I was 20 days late. This was three days ago. So now I'm actually 23 days late. I purchased 3 pregnancy tests, and took one each of the last 3 mornings, all negative. The negative results haven't calmed my nerves and I'm actually on the verge of hysteria right now. I haven't had unprotected sex, but I have had sex, so I guess it is possible. I'm not on the pill, so I know that isn't messing with my cycle. I've always heard from doctors and nurses that at home tests are extremely accurate. Am I worrying for nothing?

PS... my cycle has usually been very reliable, and I counted 28 days exactly from my second to last period to my last. Sooo... that also makes me nervous.

Hmm.. Maybe you could take a blood pregnancy test if your medical insurance covers it.. It would require going to the doctor though (I think).

Those are fool proof.

I assume you guys used a condom?

I'm wiling to bet it could just be stress.. even if it's not alot.

I wasn't under significant stress yet it still affected it. I didn't even realise.

Another thing which I find always helps my period get back on track is excersizing. Could it be that?

Ah.. I think every female friend I have went through something like that at least once. (Some unfortunately even went the other route.. having the everlasting period)

I've had that happen myself two times.. one was because of an antibiotic medicine I took a month before was still affecting my system. Another because I was syncing with my mom without realizing.

There's alot of things you could look at. I heard from girls in sororities that their periods goes way out of whack just being surrounding by other females constantly. It could be stress, the way you're eating, or your body is just readjusting to being older. I know alot of girls that were regular in their teens but just suddenly went out of whack in their mid 20s

Ah.. I think every female friend I have went through something like that at least once. (Some unfortunately even went the other route.. having the everlasting period)

I've had that happen myself two times.. one was because of an antibiotic medicine I took a month before was still affecting my system. Another because I was syncing with my mom without realizing.

There's alot of things you could look at. I heard from girls in sororities that their periods goes way out of whack just being surrounding by other females constantly. It could be stress, the way you're eating, or your body is just readjusting to being older. I know alot of girls that were regular in their teens but just suddenly went out of whack in their mid 20s

Good to know, that kind of calms my nerves. When I told a girlfriend yesterday she gave me a really uneasy look, and it freaked me out. lol. I have to slap her.

If you're 23 days late, a pregnancy test (THREE tests) really shouldn't turn up negative. You'd be 7 weeks, and hCG is usually increasing very rapidly in this period. However, stranger things have happened, so I suggest you have a bloodtest.

My guess is that you somehow skipped a cycle (probably missed an ovulation and therefore had not period this time).

I went through this exact same thing last month. My period was 2 1/2 weeks late..I was freaking out [because I did have unprotected sex] but I was getting negative tests. I literally went through about 20 pregnancy tests. I went to the doctor but they refused to do a blood test on me, they wanted me to wait..so that's what I did. Aunt flow came...eventually. It caused me a lot of stress..just give it time. Your hormones may have been interrupted some how and it's just delayed..or you may have ovulated late therefore delaying your period. Don't stress! If you still haven't started your period in a week or two, I would go to the doctor.

• 3 years later...

Archived