H1N1 Flu vaccine

Im 22...I have a great immune system...No medical problems

Should I get the swine flu vaccine? Theyre giving them out at work this week and im kind of anxious about it. I just read an article on MSN about the swine flu vaccine giving you swine flu and that its just a false rumor. Which was the main reason i didnt want to get it. So now that my main reason for not getting it is found to be false...I'm in limbo.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard that unless you are in a high risk group (senior citizen, other health problems) or you work in health care, (nurse or whatever) that you don't really need one.

I have heard this also...And im not a high-risk individual...I know ultimately it's my decision...I just wanted some ENA input.

I know people who have a normal flu vaccine and then shortly after have come down with flu and twice as bad as they had flu before....

The swine flu vaccine, is actually a dose of swine flu they are injecting into your body....a small dose, so that your body can build up its immune system to fight it. So you may get flu after the vaccine.

Do you live or work on a college campus, or in some other kind of large-scale/close-proximity housing?

Personally I would get it, because there has been no evidence that it would do you any harm (beyond the very small risks of serious side effects that exist with any vaccine), and it would at least offer some protection.

I know people who have a normal flu vaccine and then shortly after have come down with flu and twice as bad as they had flu before....

The swine flu vaccine, is actually a dose of swine flu they are injecting into your body....a small dose, so that your body can build up its immune system to fight it. So you may get flu after the vaccine.

That is NOT true. You cannot get the flu from the flu vaccine - it does not contain live viruses.

link removed

But, you can still get the flu from a different strain. The regular flu vaccine given out every fall is just a cocktail of the predicted strains for that year. They are normally right in their predictions.

But, being a RNA virus, a new strain can easily pop up and everyone who got the flu vaccine is in just as much risk as anyone who didn't get the vaccine.

Hmm, I thought ALL vaccines contained live viruses in small doses. That is how the body builds up an immunity to it....

No, that would just give you the virus. You only need one virus to infect you.

They give you a shot of the dead virus so your immune system can flag it as an intruder.

Next time the live virus enters, your immune system already identifies it as an intruder straight away, and can kill it early on.

From the CDC.....

What are the risks from getting a flu shot?

The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot.

Odd....because my gran got the flu jab and was ill with flu, shortly after...

The normal flu jab that was.

I read on Google, that there is no such thing as swine flu and was made up by governments, to take our minds off the recession....

If this was the case, what explains all those deaths in Mexico with it? DOH!!!

Did you read that on Qaddafi's personal website? LOL (his speech at the UN, if anyone knows what I'm talking about)

Yes, obviously you can still get swine flu if you get the virus, but it should greatly reduces your chances. I don't know, I don't really understand the logic behind not getting it. I know there can be concerns about side effects, but so far looks like no more than any other vaccine. The benefits should far outweigh the costs.

No, that would just give you the virus. You only need one virus to infect you.

They give you a shot of the dead virus so your immune system can flag it as an intruder.

Next time the live virus enters, your immune system already identifies it as an intruder straight away, and can kill it early on.

OK, makes sense.

Well if I had the option of having the swine flu vaccine or not, I'd opt to have it.

They actually say you do get a mild fever/pain at the injection site as a side effect of the vaccine. It goes away after 24 hours.

A lot of people will experience that with a handful of shots that are given......

Tetnus or Penicillin.....

I'm sure the redness and swelling are mild either way.

I would probably get the vaccine just because I have never had a flu shot before so I guess I want to see what all the hype is about.

Archived