Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Where are you from? What's cool about your country?

Bella20

I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska.

As for whats a must see? hmm... everything!

It has a colder climate than most areas but during the summer you can hike Flattop, you can do any sort of rafting. Basically the beautiful thing about alaska is you can just walk in one direction and find some beautiful secluded spot hidden away from the world, like hidden lake, the water is so clear!

I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska.

As for whats a must see? hmm... everything!

It has a colder climate than most areas but during the summer you can hike Flattop, you can do any sort of rafting. Basically the beautiful thing about alaska is you can just walk in one direction and find some beautiful secluded spot hidden away from the world, like hidden lake, the water is so clear!

how much of your state have you seen?

i spent a bit of time there last fall. i wish i'd taken MORE time. obviously Denali was spectacular, especially in the fall. ever been to wonder lake?

I live in Derbyshire, UK, 15 minutes' drive from the Peak District - beautiful, rolling hills, misty moors and wooded slopes leading down to winding rivers. It really is a lovely place. Near to where I live is a stately home called Chatsworth (google it!) - I just love it there.

My town has a church with a crooked spire - it was made of wood in the 15th century, and it warped over the years. Local tradition has it that it bent when the Devil sat on it to watch a wedding, and the day a virgin gets married in the church, the spire will straighten! (Freudian, or what?!)

link removed

Try switching to 'satellite' and zooming in.

I live in Derbyshire, UK, 15 minutes' drive from the Peak District - beautiful, rolling hills, misty moors and wooded slopes leading down to winding rivers. It really is a lovely place. Near to where I live is a stately home called Chatsworth (google it!) - I just love it there.

My town has a church with a crooked spire - it was made of wood in the 15th century, and it warped over the years. Local tradition has it that it bent when the Devil sat on it to watch a wedding, and the day a virgin gets married in the church, the spire will straighten! (Freudian, or what?!)

link removed

may be a bit cynical...but i hope no one's holding their breath on that one.

may be a bit cynical...but i hope no one's holding their breath on that one.

LOL I told the tale to a couple of Japanese tourists as I took their photo. I thought it might be a little raunchy for them but they were roaring with laughter as they walked away, giving coy little glances back at the church!

I've wanted to visit Canada since I was a little girl. I've got relatives there but haven't yet made it over there.

i agree. nunavut's the only place i haven't been. can't imagine ever seeing all of what Canada has to offer. just too damn big.

I have lived in 3 provinces and been to almost all the rest of the country. Every area is just SO awesome and different. It is hard to explain unless one has been here. All of it is beautiful.

I come from Greece, from the capital-Athens

What's cool ha?

1)The weather

2)The Acropolis I guess (yes I've been), a paradise for people into history and archeology. Everytime they build a new undergaround station they find some more ruins!

3)The islands. Pure beauty. The sea is crystall clear.

I come from Greece, from the capital-Athens

What's cool ha?

1)The weather

2)The Acropolis I guess (yes I've been), a paradise for people into history and archeology. Everytime they build a new undergaround station they find some more ruins!

3)The islands. Pure beauty. The sea is crystall clear.

Oh wow, that sounds so exciting!! I'm so jealous!!

I live in New York, USA.

I guess the cool part is that there are a lot of attractions in NY. As far as the water here goes, it's dirty. Lol. It's advised that we don't go to a lot of beaches.

However, all the places that everyone listed above sounds so much more exciting than where I live. I would love to travel to Alaska and Greece, and other parts of the UK one day. Sigh - I definitely need a vacay.

link removed

can i dispel the myth, it was unseasoned wood they used and 32 tons of lead tiles!

Where are you from? (City, Country?)

What's a must-see in your area? Have you been there?

Also... for those of you who don't live in your City/Country of origin...

Where do you live now? What's interesting about that place?

I live In Wales (which is in the UK).

In Wales we have the longest railway station name in the World (Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch* in case you were wondering, and yes it actually means something too: "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave").

Wales has it's own language.

It has the coolest flag ever (link removed), which is a red dragon.

It is pretty much the best place in the world (at least in my opinion, there are over 400 and include UN World Heritage sites) for castles. Historically although Wales has a small population, it's inhabitants have been tough! Perhaps that's why rugby is so popular.

It has some of the worlds best beaches (shame it usually rains and isn't always warm though link removed

So there you go.

*The name is in fact so big this site won't allow me to post it without putting a space in it - I didn't include a space but after pressing post it seems to stick a space in there!

how much of your state have you seen?

i spent a bit of time there last fall. i wish i'd taken MORE time. obviously Denali was spectacular, especially in the fall. ever been to wonder lake?

I've seen alot of it lol

I live in Anchorage, and I usually go hiking during the summer, a little in the winter, every week or so. I go hunting on the knik river, and that place is beautiful! I have gone to many beautiful places and forgotten the names. I know i've been on a huge river where two rivers combine, one is glacial water and the other is river water. The glacial water is light green, and the river water is brown, and you could see the currents combining and it looked very cool lol.

The wildlife is everywhere, just last night I had two moose on my porch, and a week or so ago there were 4 moose on a hill accross the street. I have never seen four adult moose together, coolest thing in the world

I live in Belgium.

What's fun about Belgium ? Small country, great history, lots of trouble.

My analogy for Belgium is: "We are Europe's * * * * * , everyone has been in our country until 200 years ago." Even if "Belgium" didn't really exist before that.

We are famous for our world best beer, wafels and chocolate. We're also (in)famous for the many pedophiles that roam around the country. The funny thing about Belgium is the language problem: You can compare it with Quebec in Canada. You have dutch speaking people, french speaking people and germans. English is also very popular. A good Belgian can speak an average of 3 languages. That's why it's fun to come over here as foreinger.

We pay amongst the highest taxes in the world but we also have one of the best social care system. A welfare country at it's best !

The average Belgian is kind, warm and very outgoing. But we are more shy then countries like the Netherlands or the US. Mostly because there's a feeling of guilt in our culture ( because of our past ). For some reason, dating seems harder here. There are just countries where people are more "easy" or just more open.

Belgium is also a country where you can say, do or think almost everything you want. Not as much as in the Netherlands but it's close to it lol.

In the end I'd say: "Pack up your empty mug and come visit us!"

I live in a college town. Harrisonburg, Virginia in the US. Home of the James Madison University Dukes. JMU is ranked as one of the top "party schools" in the US and also ranked as one with the most beautiful girls. lol This town really does cater to the college kids, but some of the bars are cool at times. Although, for me, I'm 35 years old, it gets really old partying with 21 year olds.lol

We have Massanutten Resort here which is a huge ski resort with an indoor waterpark.

We are surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, in which the Appalachian Trail runs through, so we get alot of people who are hiking the trail. I've met some really cool people from all over the US here.

I live in Belgium....

......We are famous for our world best beer, wafels and chocolate.......

.....A good Belgian can speak an average of 3 languages. That's why it's fun to come over here as foreinger.

.....The average Belgian is kind, warm and very outgoing......

....In the end I'd say: "Pack up your empty mug and come visit us!"

Of all the countries I have been to as a tourist, Belgium comes off looking the best and other countries come off looking not as good. In one country the very first native person I saw was really unfriendly, angry and impatient. The first person!

I never met a single unfriendly person in Belgium. I spoke to a lot of Belgians and without exception they were friendly. It could have been a fluke in that I only met friendly Belgians, but I don't think that is very likely.

Any country that produces the finest beer, waffles and chocolate and is happy and welcoming is in my opinion truly magnificent! I am not sure if I should say this though, but Belgian woman are amazing too... lol So yeah I love the place.

Archived