Ask For Advice

Thread: Birthday Sadness

renegade43

Birthday Sadness

Every year, I get really sad around my birthday. This year, my partner has taken it upon himself to take my emotions personally, and he is offended that I am not bubbly and giddy, asking for presents, etc. I have always felt shallow when people ask me "What do you want for your birthday?" I feel like if they know me well enough to buy me a present, they should know me well enough to be able to get something they know I like. I feel stuck up saying "I want this, I want that."

I told the same thing to my partner today, and he got so mad at me he didnt speak to me for hours. Then, when I tried to tell him that my birthdays always make me sad, he barked at me, saying "youre just being a baby!"

I don't cry, but I feel like it right now. I am sad about something that bothers me, and he just drove it in even deeper....what should I do?

southofapril
    Have your birthdays been let-downs in the past? Or was there one particular birthday that stuck in your mind because it made you depressed? As for feeling stuck up when asking for gifts, I understand where you're coming from there -- I feel uncomfortable asking people for gifts as well.

In my opinion, your partner needs to take a look at what he's doing. He has no right whatsoever to belittle you by calling you a baby for your feelings. You can't help what you feel. You need to stand up for yourself and tell him you're not going to tolerate that and if he can't respect the way you feel, then he needs to do something about it and/or take a look at himself. You don't deserve him making you feel bad for something like that.

Try looking deeper for the reason your birthdays make you sad. It could be because of something that happened in your past, or it could be because on and around your birthday you become the center of attention, and that makes you uncomfortable. An important thing to remember is to not beat yourself up for this. Again, you can't help the way you feel. This could take some searching, but I think if you take your time with it, you can figure it out. I hope this helped you.

renegade43
    Yeah, birthdays usually are let downs for me. People get me so hyped up saying "isnt your birthday coming up soon? Then, the day of, I'm left with nothing to do, and no one who really care. My partner wants to make it all about himself, because he cares, but if he gets this upset with me about it, then I'd rather he just forget it like everyone else.

southofapril
    Ugh, that feeling sucks.

I know you've tried to tell your partner all this, but how about trying again a different way? Slowly, so he can comprehend :P

Say to him ''Listen, I have something I need to talk about and get off my chest, but I haven't been able to because you always blow up at me. Now I'm going to talk and I need you to listen, and ONLY listen to what I have to say.'' See if this works, and tell him how you feel, everything you just told me. Use duct tape if necessary. (just kidding, of course... )

Another thing I'd suggest is, on the big day, forget everyone else instead of giving them the chance to forget you. Find something you love to do, then go do it. Give the day to yourself as your own birthday gift. Do something great for yourself because you deserve it. Don't let anyone else in on it; that way, they can't let you down, change it or ruin it.

Top Threads
First love/ex friends with rebound
im friends with my ex/my first love. My ex is friends with his rebound (after me) they were only together for a month. she started talking to him
Feelings for fwb
Ugh.....I think I'm getting feelings for my fwb. We've had a long history together. We do jive well together. I know deep down he doesn't see me
That guy... Part 3
It's the Holiday season. A time when that guy doesn't even want to leave the house. He wishes that he had some kind of surgery to put him out of
everyone always needs something from me
I almost feel as if this is a very type-A person problem, but maybe that's because anyone else I've ever talked to that also has felt like this is
Question about projection.
First of all i would like to thank everyone for helping me out on my last thread. Im better. Now i have a small question, issue and i would like
What is going on with me?
Soo, I catfished someone in my past a few years ago. I was being young and naive. It honestly all started because at the time some guy I was talking
Don't know how to handle this
Disclaimer: I love this girl, and I truly want to help her So I'm dating this girl, We get on great and there's a definite spark. I know she's

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Confused about what he wants
I've (21F) been hooking up with this guy (21M) for a few weeks now, but we've also been really good platonic friends for years. I recently got an
Dating Secretly
A few months ago I started dating a man who I am very serious about. I have known him for about a year , and we have a great connection. We are
Why is it all about SEX?
I haven't been much of a dater. All of my relationships first started off with me and the person being classmates then friends which then moved to a
Somethings amiss...HELP!
Hi guys, I have a confusing situation that I need help dissecting. I have been dating "Z" for a little over 2 months (both in mid/late 30s
My Dad has given up on life
So about 10 years ago my Mother died of cancer. My Dad is now in his 70's and over that past 10 years he has just given up on life. - He no longer
BF does not like to take pictures/ Shady AF
My bf has admitted he hates pictures, he just does not like them, so on thanksgiving 2014 I remember I was so excited I wanted to take some pic of
One day " I love you then the next " we're over "
I've never asked for help or done this before so i don't know where to start but here it goes. I have been in a relationship for around 20 months we
Ask For Advice