Hitting Self in the Head.

Panther_Dude

I've been doing this since I was in high school. Sometimes when I feel I've done something stupid or get mad at myself...I try not to do it as often. I know I risk concussion or brain damage over time. But a...at times I also see how hard I can hit myself in the head, mostly during the 'I felt I've done something stupid' parts.

Also have done some cutting in the past on my upper left arm towards the shoulder...but didn't leave bad scars luckliy.

Growing up when my sister would become frustrated, nervous, or upset she would hit herself in the head really hard a few times. It was her way of expressing the way she was feeling.

Please stop if you can its not good for you

Well, it feels a bit good getting it off my chest. I have a hard head...but I've made myself cry and get upset afterwards.

I've tried to quit. It happened as recently as yesterday. Left a Pepsi Max in the fridge and it exploded but I was sure I had it and didn't leave it in there. So, my Mom wakes me up as I am going to bed at 7 am (was almost sleep)...and asks me to clean up the mess. I do, but I get so mad at myself that afterwards I just slammed my cellphone (in it's case) against my head and got in a few punches as well. My Mom heard me doing something and told me to stop, but I yelled at her to leave me alone.

Also she gave me a small attitude about the mess I made.

DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

Read this article on concussion. link removed

Hitting your head against anything is not advisable. It can result in a lot of things which you will not notice initially. Why do you think boxers, athletes wear head protection? If you keep doing this to yourself, soon the minor injuries to your head will start to pile up and one day take form of something very serious like internal bleeding in brain, or loss of function of one or more centers. You do not want to deal with that. Trust me.

Why not join yoga or medication or some kinda sports and spend your energy in that? Why not get a punching bag and a pair of boxers gloves instead? (if at all you need to take this anger and frustration out) it would serve the same purpose and not hurt your body physically.

You are young, life is going to throw more at you. Learning to deal with frustration, anger, is a part of growing up. Its a skill that we all have to learn and develop. You will do that too. But you have to be kind to yourself. Respect the physical body that you are given, take good care of it, not every part of your body can be replaced. Understand that.

Well, going by what that article says in the link...probably have given myself a concussion or two if headache or drowsy counts. Been doing this off and on for 6 years to myself and I don't trust my memory anymore, so that probably isn't good. Thank You for the link.

I do work out, but because I am now a night owl again, it's kinda hard to....on lack of sleep. When I do work out or play ball, it's in the evening now.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a simular problem , i used to hit my head but then one day i hit to hard an got a head ake for like a month. It was then that i realised i needed to stop and the next day i bought a punchbag. This really helped me alot because anytime i got really stressed with my self (which was alot) i just hit bag over and over and over ect until i was so tired that i would just lie on my bed an relax.

you just need to let the beast out of you , it keeps your head in shape and it feels good after wards

• 2 weeks later...
I had a simular problem , i used to hit my head but then one day i hit to hard an got a head ake for like a month. It was then that i realised i needed to stop and the next day i bought a punchbag. This really helped me alot because anytime i got really stressed with my self (which was alot) i just hit bag over and over and over ect until i was so tired that i would just lie on my bed an relax.

you just need to let the beast out of you , it keeps your head in shape and it feels good after wards

That's not good. A headache for a month. Did you go to the doctor?

I've stopped, but I never know if I will do it again or not. Sometimes when I would do it, I would see how hard I could do it. Which is messed up.

I would suggest that you need to find another, healthier outlet for your anger. Redirect the habit. Whenever I get excessively angry (and it does happen from time to time), I work out. Hard. I'm so exhausted by the end, having lifted longer and heavier than usual, that all the anger has drained away. I've also got endorphins rushing through me, and a much calmer state of mind from which to consider the circumstances that fired me up to begin with.

So find another outlet, and just keep redirecting it to that until it's second nature. Lower the fist, put on some running shoes, and pound some pavement. Punch a heavy bag. Lift some weights. Do something that calms you down AND has a positive effect. Beats the hell out of a concussion and a sense of shame.

I do work out. Not as hard as I should though, but I try to work out and get in cardio.

And since this is my thread...gonna ask another question.

I have 3 cats at home. Is it bad...that when any of them die, I know I am gonna break/fracture my right hand in extreme anger? I can see myself flipping out if I get the news. Like HULK pissed.

I have been dealing with similar issue. I hit myself very hard and the worst was when we were on our honeymoon. I was nervous and overwhelmed with college work that everything irritated me. I hit myself pretty hard - and resulted in a bruise on my lid. the worst part is that I had to lie - saying one of the children at work accidentally head-budded me. I used make up to match the other eye with dark eyeshadows, i looked good but felt horrible.

What i have been using - the quick fix, I walk away and count to 10 while breathing heavily. 10 seconds usually is enough to snap back to reality and realize that whatever caused the upset is not worth hitting myself.

I also walk away where i cannot be seen and just tense my whole body, like hulk or body-builder with facial expression too. That releases the immediate anger.

I used to push the wall - there's always a wall around and pushing it helped direct the anger and force towards a stationary object that would not be harmed by my push.

In the long run- i have a strong and caring people around me who have helped me look beyond at what is causing me to hit and hurt myself. I have found that it is in the area of communication - I get frustrated when I am misunderstood and can't find the words to clearly state what i want, when others overpower me and I just agree without saying what i want, and when I feel like i've said too much. I may say something sharp to my mom and get her upset - feeling guilty i'd punish myself.

I'm working on it and have been doing this much less.

but yes, STOP doing this.

• 5 months later...

Panther Dude, Your parents taught you how to punish yourself. From the sound of it, they still are. It's a tough habit to quit, I know. If you want to talk privately, feel free to contact me.

Brittany2008, are you sure that's why your sister punishes herself? I have never heard of that explanation before. Is that what she said, or what you concluded? If so, how is hitting yourself in the head a form of expressing how one feels? It seems to me more like an action done because someone is NOT allowed to express the way they feel, which is contrary to what you are saying. I don't mean to argue; I am simply trying to understand the masochistic act myself.

Archived