My New Life Style

Bella20

Eating Today (Not in order, not all at the same time. Had small portions throughout the day).

6 rice cakes. 3 with cheese, 3 with sugar free jam.

1 cup of tea with skim milk

Some beans, tomatoes and sunflower seeds.

1 cup Imitation crab meat.

1 banana

1 apple

Exercise: power walking - 20 minutes.

Soda: 4 cans Pepsi Max. (Aiming for three tomorrow).

if you can, try to aim to cut soda out of your diet, i used to drink upwards of 8 cans of soda every single day, at my worst i was about 285 and 5'8" i cut soda out of my diet, ate better, exercised more, and a year later, im 212 and 6'6"

its not all related to the soda, but cutting it out of your diet will give you much better results ^^

also variety is the spice of life, if you eat the same things every day over a long period of time, you will get bored with it, and want to quit your diet, just small variations every now and then is useful

Cutting down soda gradually is good.

Just going cold turkey can be harsh (esp with the caffeine headaches).

Yes, that's exactly why I'm doing it slowly. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations.... Although I am extremely exhausted and have a bad headache.... Maybe it's part of the red bull withdrawal effect too.. haha

Aren't rice cakes pretty much empty calories? Why don't you try some oatmeal or something in the morning with some sliced fruit? Or fry some eggs and put them on some whole wheat bread? Or make some whole grain pancakes with apples or blueberries in them?

This sounds better than yesterday, but it still sounds pretty unhealthy. You are really going to run yourself down. This can't even be 1000 calories.

There are so many awesome meals you can make that are low in calories but still very filling. You might consider avoiding empty calorie foods because they have basically no nutritional value. Soda has empty calories and just drinking plain water is so much better.

Also, why eat imitation crab meat when there are so many other meats out there? Chicken, beef, salmon, trout, shrimp... Mixing it up is fun and keeps the food boredom away. It also gives you great opportunities to learn new recipes. Personally, I love stir fries. You can throw in so many ingredients and they are very healthy. Broccoli, carrots, peppers, tofu or meat, etc. So yummy! Throw it on top of some rice and voila! And the sauce can be kept really light too.

Sorry for being off topic above....

but I think you're not eating enough. I've been keeping a diet-log due to some stomach pain, to see if its food related, so here is a sample day:

Breakfast:

1 grapefruit

Smoothie made from: 1/2 cup yogurt, 8 fl oz. watermelon puree, 1/2 cup frozen blackberries.

Lunch:

Sandwich with potato bread, hummus, and sliced red bell pepper.

Cheddar Sunchips Snack Bag.

Snack:

Apple

1/2 cup v-8 Splash Mango Peach

5 saltines

Dinner (went out for Japanese):

Caterpillar Roll - rice, seaweed, eel, imitation crab, avocado

Philadelphia Roll - rice, seaweed, cream cheese, smoked salmon

Later:

Berry white tea with honey

Shared a small icecream with my boyfriend

You could be having real bread/toast instead of those rice cakes and its still not enough calories. Try buying light bread if you really need to.

For breakfasts, I love egg whites. I usually either have egg whites on toast with fruit, or a smoothie for breakfast. It's good protein, yet low calorie and not high in cholesterol. I eat real eggs for breakfast, its just not good for you every day.

Also for protein, I like turkey hot dogs. They are really healthy, and easy to make (I'm in a dorm room...) I'll make some brown rice, have hot dogs without the bun, and veggies.

I know the sample day I gave probably doesn't have enough protein. Turkey breast for sandwiches is good! That day I had just run out.

why are the rice cakes badd? they're like 35 calories

They're very processed and don't have much nutritional value. Not really bad per se, but not really good either. If you get the flavored ones then they've got all kinds of sugars and additives and preservatives. If you eat the plain ones with something healthy on them you could do worse. I just think avoiding any kind of processed food as much as possible is a good idea.

They're very processed and don't have much nutritional value. Not really bad per se, but not really good either. If you get the flavored ones then they've got all kinds of sugars and additives and preservatives. If you eat the plain ones with something healthy on them you could do worse. I just think avoiding any kind of processed food as much as possible is a good idea.

Agreed. Get some good whole grain bread!

You grew 9 inches in one year?? Is that possible? My boyfriend grew too much in one year and had to go to physical therapy for all of high school because he outgrew his muscles.

thinking about when i graduated it may be more like a year and 3-4 months, the whole time through i was working out and my muscles are fine, the only problem is that after this growth spurt, ive been living with pretty bad knee, shin, and back pain for... 3-4 months now, worst part is i went to an ETT training course and i had to solo-lift a 195 pound dummy, it was easy but just killed my back. ive been working on my back muscles and taking fish oil and vitamins for my knees and they're feeling better but they still ache in mornings and after activities like hiking.

Op, im not going to judge you, but i have to agree with whomever said that your only eating 1000 calories or so, its just not healthy, on a normal day, of doing absolutely nothing, you burn upwards of 2000 calories, so if you dont do anything you should aim for about 1500-1800 calories a day so you dont starve your body and prevent muscle growth, and important bodily processes. If you are working out alot, i think i read that you need to be eating upwards of 3500 calories daily for muscle growth. Yea, you will lose the weight, you'll still be healthy and happy, but just not as healthy as you would be if you took it a hair slower and upped your calorie intake just a bit.

Eating Today (Not in order, not all at the same time. Had small portions throughout the day).

1 banana

1 apple

that's not enough food for a whole day. and if you do this long enough, your metabolism will slow dawn and when you go off your diet, you'll gain the weight back with even extra weight.

oh and what you do loose whren you eat so little is MOSTLY water and muscle. you don't wanna burn muscle.

and 4 cans of pepsi??? THAT will destroy your health.

Bella, can I ask, once you get down to your ideal goal weight, do you plan on sticking with this diet? Honestly, it's not very healthy, though I do imagine you'll be dropping pounds quickly. But for the long haul, it just won't do. I'm mostly concerned about your nutrition, or lack thereof. The last thing you want is for your body to get the munchies and start snacking on some muscle.

1 banana

1 apple

This is starvation! Outside of the fruit and beans, there is no nutrional value in this diet whatsoever and it's way to low in calorie intake.

As a woman you shouldn't be consuming less than 1200 calories a day. You can get away with a 1,000-12,000 diet but it's recommended to get clearance from a doctor first.

Here is an example of how much you should be eating and what to eat. You of course wouldn't be eating exactly like this....but it gives an idea of how much and what types of food to eat. Losing weight should be done in a healthy nutrional way, especially if you want to have better success at keeping it off.

Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid: A sample menu

Example of a 1,200-calorie menu

Breakfast:

1 medium banana

1 cup bran cereal

1 cup fat-free milk

Herbal tea

Lunch:

Tuna salad sandwich made with 1/2 cup water-packed tuna, 1 tablespoon low-calorie mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, chopped celery as desired, leaf lettuce and 2 slices whole-grain toast

2 cups raw baby carrots, jicama and bell pepper strips

1 small apple

Water

Dinner:

3 ounces broiled cod sprinkled with juice of 1 lemon wedge and 1 teaspoon drained and rinsed capers

3/4 cup steamed green beans

1/2 cup sliced beets

Salad made with 1 cup bibb, Boston, butterhead or leaf lettuce, 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, a splash of balsamic vinegar and 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Sparkling water with lemon

Snack (anytime)

1 small pear

Okay so today so far I've had:

Tea

A wrap with chicken salad, tomato, lettuce, onion.

A banana

Coffee with skim milk

My mother in law just sent us a box of pastries and homemade food for the Jewish holidays.... I mean, I'm not tempted at all to eat it, but I know my boyfriend will possibly cave and eat it.... and I'm going to start making excuses for myself as well.

I need someone to slap me in the face and tell me not to cave.

If you are working out alot, i think i read that you need to be eating upwards of 3500 calories daily for muscle growth. Yea, you will lose the weight, you'll still be healthy and happy, but just not as healthy as you would be if you took it a hair slower and upped your calorie intake just a bit.

I doubt bella is exercising so much that she would need to eat 3500 calories a day. I don't think I know any female athletes who even eat that much food. Especially being a woman, she probably doesn't need more than 2000 on a regular day with mild to moderate exercise and not trying to lose weight. 1800-2200 is probably maintenance level for many women who fall into average body size (with only mild to moderate exercise). And maybe I missed this somewhere, but it doesn't sound like she is wanting to gain muscle size as much as she wants to lose some more body fat.

Bella, do you mind if I ask how tall you are and how much you weigh right now? Since we don't know your size, nobody can really give you a good estimate of how much you should be aiming for for daily caloric intake. If you determine that to maintain your current weight you would need to consume roughly 2000, then to lose a pound a week, you would want to consume around 1500/day. I wouldn't suggest you dip below 1200 calories though since that creates a pretty large caloric deficit and may upset your body.

Your chicken wrap sounds a lot better, but it sounds like you haven't eaten much else still.

I know I recommended this website on your thread, but I'm going to recommend it again: link removed

She has some really awesome information and podcasts. Her book is being updated right now, but when it is available again, it's called The Fat Loss Troubleshoot. My mother has been using her book and has lost over 20 pounds recently pretty easily, and is aiming to lose another 20-30.

Archived