Hey everyone. I've been with my long distance boyfriend for 4 years. I live in Ontario Canada and he lives in Alma Arkansas. I'm almost 18 and he's 19. He bought me a beautiful promise ring a couple years ago, and he says all the time how he wants to propose to me. He says he wishes he could do it now, except he is lacking the money for a ring and obviously can't right now because he isnt here and I'm not there. He's mature and has been doing things by himself for most of his teenage years. He works 2 jobs (bank teller and pipe insulator) and will go back to school next semester, has his own place with a room mate, and has a truck that he uses to drive the 1000+ miles to see me.

Bottom line is, he's committed, and his best friend recently told me "We're adults now. Its time for us to find someone to settle down with, and Coty's set on his decision with you". It just seems so strange to me, because around here, 19 year olds are into partying and not marriage. When is a good age to get engaged, and when did you first truly commit to someone??

I think it really depends on the person. Some people are more committed than others. There really isn't a correct answer to this question. I've known couples who were together for a long while and are still together and yet there are others who don't remain together. However, in my opinion if your hearts are in the right place, then no one can tell you otherwise. If you've made it this far being in a long distance relationship, I'm pretty sure you can make things works in the long run. Good luck. I'm happy for you!

Thanks you two!

I feel super lucky Just wasnt really sure why he is so willing to propose to me at 19!

You guys have been together for 4 years, this is quite some time. He is willing to propose to you because he found the right person for him and he does not see himself being with anyone else. You are the love of his life and he wouldn't want it any other way! You should be thankful that you found someone who you love and he loves you just the same. That's a wonderful feeling to have. Seize the moment!

You guys have been together for 4 years, this is quite some time. He is willing to propose to you because he found the right person for him and he does not see himself being with anyone else. You are the love of his life and he wouldn't want it any other way! You should be thankful that you found someone who you love and he loves you just the same. That's a wonderful feeling to have. Seize the moment!

Thank you It definitely is. Never in a million years would I have thought the one for me would be in a different country. Thank god for the internet!

sorry to be a party pooper, but what do your parents think? i think it's very cute and romantic to have a long-distance b/f and have images of the perfect lives you guys are going to have. but how have you guys lived together in the same area and if yes, how long? i think marriage is more than just love... it's about having compatible goals in life, values (financially, morally, etc). and i think you're really young.

i think if you do a google search on success of marriages based on when they were married, i think you're going to find that the younger people get married, the more likely they get a divorce later on in life. why? because people are very naive and optimistic. that's not to say not every marriage at a young age will not work out. it's just that statistically, it's unlikely. my advice to you is to take it slow... you have the rest of your life to spend together so don't rush anything.

You are right.. most people around here (I come from Ontario too), don't get married at the age of 17-18! I totally agree with you. I find it too young to get engaged and married right at that age.

When I was 16-17, I dated a guy from the country who's mentality and family mentality was to marry young too. Most of his cousins married around ages 18 to 24, so he was set on getting married to me. Eeeeek!! I did love him at the time, but I'm glad I didn't!

If you are planning on going to college, I'd personally wait until after you are done to get married. But that's just me.

My fiance proposed to me when he was 19, and it was on our year anniversary.... i am a little older than him at 24... but stranger things have happened in the world and if it is right for you then it will work...that is all there is to that!

Age isnt really anything. My fiance is more mature than my previous long term boyfriend who was 29 when I was 20!!!! Your guy sounds very similar to mine, always been independent, works hard at two jobs and is also studying pretty much full time too..

Our wedding is all booked and sorted for April 2011...and he has been fantastic about it all...very keen and interested in picking things, sharing decisions...

He is way more mature than his 20 years of age, but then at the same time we are able to have a laugh and muck about too...

Just wanted to share with you that age and time doesnt really matter if it works and is right!

I say good luck to you, the only worry being as its long distance, you do not really know what it is like being with a long amount of time: i.e living with them? Maybe you could give this a try for a few months before the proposal...they always say you REALLY get to know someone and all their annoying habits when you live with them!!

Hi, I'm a guy, 26, been married for 7 years(with a 5 year old son).

I got married at 19, was responsible, my wife who overall is a pretty good person is a couple of years older than me.

Long story short I recommend you wait a few years, I certainly regret getting married. Not liest because I was so young but because I made what has turned out to be a poor choice of partner.

Like I said my wife is a pretty good person, but with each passing day it's becoming more clear that we're totally different people. I ignored a lot of good advice that has left me in this possition(the best being "just wait").

I recommend you wait until you're at least 23 before making the decision.

Best regards and I hope everything turns out well for you.

Sorry to hear your experience Dublin, but I don't think just cos you wait til your 23 everything will be fine. I know people who met at 40, got married and found they were different people at 43.

If it works for someone then it works ... I don't think you can label age or anything

Too true.

The reason I said 23 is that by that age you're more likely to know who you are, instead of being lost in the person you're with.

Archived