Should I give my bf half of the money?

alice1485

So my bf has been investing some of my money for me. He picked all the stocks using his knowledge of the market. So far, I've made about $200. When/If I decide to take my money out, should I give him half the earnings? Like, is he expecting me to? Is it the nice thing to do?

So my bf has been investing some of my money for me. He picked all the stocks using his knowledge of the market. So far, I've made about $200. When/If I decide to take my money out, should I give him half the earnings? Like, is he expecting me to? Is it the nice thing to do?

No, it's your money and your investments.

Ho well i did not expect that, maybe that is the way to bring it up and honestly ask him how he feels about it.

When i did my wifes income tax return (refunds were always treated as personal fun money) if she did get a refund I certainly did not expect her to pay me back for doing the return....

hope ths helps

I think the difference is that she didn't give you money. You got her money by doing work but she didn't invest her money to begin with.

If that makes sense.

If I lost my boyfriend cash in the stock market, that's my own darn fault and I'd pay him back.

If I was investing money to make money, I wouldn't be getting someone else to do it if I had to give them half. Sort of defeats the purpose of investing, if you're not actually getting a whole lot back. Why not skip the middle man?

Like mentioned, I'd so something sweet, like take him out or buy him something he's been eyeing up as a thank him.

But I'd say more or less he's just doing it because he loves you, something my guy would do...and he certainly wouldn't be expecting to cash in if the investments went well...but I would certainly do something as a thank you, whether its monetary or not...he had part in it.

You can offer him half of your earnings if you feel that is the right thing to do.

If I was investing money to make money, I wouldn't be getting someone else to do it if I had to give them half. Sort of defeats the purpose of investing, if you're not actually getting a whole lot back. Why not skip the middle man?

Like mentioned, I'd so something sweet, like take him out or buy him something he's been eyeing up as a thank him.

But I'd say more or less he's just doing it because he loves you, something my guy would do...and he certainly wouldn't be expecting to cash in if the investments went well...

You can offer him half of your earnings if you feel that is the right thing to do.

Hm, good point. I don't really know what I would do, I just wanted to hear your opinions to make sure I wasn't being stupid if I decided to give him half. I mean, the way I see it, I wouldn't even have the extra dough if it wasn't for him...and I trust him more than a random investment middle man, you know?

My dad helped me invest some of my money. I lost $1,000 in an IRA in less than a year. But it wasn't his fault; just the wrong time with the sharp fall in the economy. But I certainly didn't expect him to pay me back the money I lost. He gave me guidance which I could have accepted or declined. Likewise, if it had made money, it's still my money.

I would maybe take him out to dinner in celebration of the earnings and call it good. Yeah, you wouldn't have made money without his help. But he wouldn't have gotten any either without your money to invest. And if he has his own money invested in the same things he told you to do, then he has his own and he doesn't need your earnings. So no, don't give him half.

I would maybe take him out to dinner in celebration of the earnings and call it good. Yeah, you wouldn't have made money without his help. But he wouldn't have gotten any either without your money to invest. And if he has his own money invested in the same things he told you to do, then he has his own and he doesn't need your earnings. So no, don't give him half.

That makes sense. I think I'll just get him a nice gift. Thanks for the advice, guys!

I think how much you invest and how much you make also is a factor.

Investing $100, and ending up with $200, well you're no further ahead if you gave him half.

But say you invested $50 and ended up with $1,000...is what he did really worth giving him $500 in his pocket? All he did was put your money in a few stocks/investements and comes away with $500?

I think how much you invest and how much you make also is a factor.

Investing $100, and ending up with $200, well you're no further ahead if you gave him half.

But say you invested $50 and ended up with $1,000...is what he did really worth giving him $500 in his pocket? All he did was put your money in a few stocks/investements and comes away with $500?

Kind of like what the mutual fund companies do...they take your money and invest it, then charge outrageous fees...same with the banks and financial planners etc etc.

To the OP: Quite frankly I think you should be taking charge of your own money and not have your boyfriend invest your money. You are lucky you made some money..but it is hit or miss sometimes. You need to be responsible for your own investments and to understand what it is you are investing in. No you don't owe him the money, presumably he was doing it not to make a profit off of you but as a favour. $200 is really not a lot of money and I wouldn't go blowing it on a big treat for him..the whole purpose of investing is to make money. I am sure you do nice things for him all the time and do favours for him.

If he took $50 and turned it into $1000, I'd say he was earning his money! And write him a cheque....

Meanwhile, I will echo the sentiments elsewhere: the person who takes the winnings is the person who takes the risk. If you would have paid the full amount had you lost, then you should take the full amount when you win. What you choose to do with it after that, and how it relates to him helping you, is up to you. I used to invest in the options market on behalf of my former partner as well as myself, and if it made a loss, she lost money, and if it made a profit, she gained money. It was my knowledge and trading account, sure, but I'm not a professional trader and I certainly don't expect a cut of any sort; it was her money, her risk, her reward.

if you had given your money to someone else, you most certainly would be expected to pay a certain percentage of commission.

since I assume your boyfriend did this as a favour to you, you do not need to give him a commission, but I would give him something in return. after all he invested his time/ knowledge. without him you would have probably not have had any idea in what to invest.

I agree with someone else here: you should try to keep finances and the relationship as separate as possible as long as you have not made a long term commitment to each other (I think for spouses who have common funds things are different).

Dont give him half the money but you can buy him a DVD/CD or take him out for lunch for his efforts. That would be a nice gesture on your part but like many have said on here its your money and you wouldnt expect him to cover your loses therefore take your earnings for yourself.

if you do decide to give him half of it, don't forget to take out capital gains tax which you will have to pay on any profits. you might end up giving him more money than you actually get!!

Archived