Eating after a period of starvation

Over the past few weeks, I have been really stressed and have been barely eating at all. Most days I would eat only once, if that. I am currently very depressed and I have no desire to eat. I get hungry, but it is almost that the physical pain is desired over my emotional pain. Food has no taste to me, I've tried eating foods I really like and it all seems like a chore.

I know the damage this is doing to my body. I've lost a significant amount of weight. I also know my metabolism is probably at an all time low. I need to start forcing myself to eat. I need to, especially since I want to get back in the gym and lose the weight proper. Does anyone have any advice on how to get back to eating without causing all the weight to come back? I am overweight so I know sticking to a low cal diet will still help me lose weight.

What you need now is nutrients more than calories, and the best way for the body to absorb nutrients is through natural foods. Don't go for the suppliments or vitamin pills, I would recommend fresh fruits and veggies. Maybe a nice fruit/yogurt smoothie in the morning? Snack on carrots/apples throughout the day and try an easy salad for lunch or something. Sometimes the heavy carbs in meat and bread are too much after a period of malnutrition. Drink lots of water too to help your body rejuvenate itself. You may find that eating fresh, whole foods will help with your depression as well.

Here's a site that lists a lot of essential foods that will help you regain your energy and you can increase your food intake in a healthy way:

link removed

After my recent break up I just flat out couldn't eat. I've always been on the heavy side and I dropped 10 lbs the first month. Your stomach is hungry but you can't force yourself to eat, its like your brain has shut off. I know exactly how you feel. The thought of ice cream, which is the best thing on earth, made me disgusted.

I started getting really dizzy everytime I stood up so I started drinking Ensure. Get the chocolate kind. I had to force myself to drink it but it gives you the vitamins and energy you need. Slowly start eating things again that you like. Since you haven't been eating your stomach has shrunk and you will get full after just a couple bites. That is ok, it is better than nothing.

The best thing you can do is just slowly start eating small bites of something through out the day. Try to eat some chicken or anything with protein. If you still can't make yourself eat goto the store and get an Ensure or another type of food replacement. It doesn't taste that great but it will make your stomach feel better.

I have now lost 20lbs in 2 months and my clothes fit great but I am not healthy. I am slowly starting to eat again and trying to make wise choices on what I do eat. Sometimes I felt like I was feeding a child, forcing myself to take "just one more bite!".

Best of luck to you.

• 7 years later...

Archived