"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

Ok people feel how they feel and they are ENTITLED to that, I DON'T diss them, BUT I personally DON'T agree with this AT ALL. If someone breaks my heart, me personally, id rather not feel love at all then feel it then have it taken from me. But hey, thats just ME. I was just fine without being in love for the first time, and honestly, if i could go without heartache, id rather never feel love at all. Id rather be lonely from never being in love than lonely and heartbroken of being in love and having it ripped from me. But again, Thats MY personal opinion.

Ok people feel how they feel and they are ENTITLED to that, I DON'T diss them, BUT I personally DON'T agree with this AT ALL. If someone breaks my heart, me personally, id rather not feel love at all then feel it then have it taken from me. But hey, thats just ME. I was just fine without being in love for the first time, and honestly, if i could go without heartache, id rather never feel love at all. Id rather be lonely from never being in love than lonely and heartbroken of being in love and having it ripped from me. But again, Thats MY personal opinion.
While I understand how you're feeling right now, cast your mind back to the days when you were falling in the love, to those exciting, nervous, wonderful days when you were experiencing love for the very first time. Now just think for a moment of just how wonderful that is going to feel when it comes around again.

I have had my heartbroken more times than I can remember but each time I have never given up on it. Falling in love is the most wonderful experience you can have. While this hurts like hell, and will probably hurt for a long time to come, I cannot wait until I fall in love again. This pain will all have been worth it.

Here's where the true value of the statement comes in, though:

If you've had your heart broken, you really learn how to appreciate love when you have it. That's not to say you wouldn't appreciate it anyway, but it becomes more valuable and more precious.

That's why, right now, I totally see the value of it. Travel back a year ago, though, and I would have slapped any person who said that to my face, because I was completely heartbroken. It's an easier statment to agree with when you've healed from heartbreak.

Once the heartache has passed and you no longer have an emotional investment in someone, looking back on loving someone is an intensely gratifying experience. Never having experienced that kind of thing would be the worst thing to happen to anyone.

There is so much truth in that statement that it should jump off the page you're reading it from and punch you square in the nose.

Agreed. For two years my ex treated me like a freaking yo-yo with her on-again/off-again fear of commitment, finally dumping me for no real reason at all. But damn if I don't look on our good times as some of the happiest in my life.

To feel otherwise would make me bitter, and that's the one quality you don't want in yourself if you ever want to love again.

Whether or not I agree with those words, there is some truth to them. It would be cowardly for a person to live their life not loving anyone simply because they thought that they were going to get hurt. The truth is that if you put yourself out there then you are going to get hurt. Being hurt is a part of the process, of course when a person is in the midst of a break up or still healing from a break up then I understand why people would disagree with it.

I wholeheartedly agree with that quote.

I have a friend who is just now getting into her first relationship. She's obsessive and crazy and she's changed so much. She's so depressing to be around because she doesnt feel "right" unless she's around the guy.

If she'd gone through relationships and the dating game and "lost" a few times, she'd be so much stronger. But alas, it didn't happen. She never felt "loss" and it's made her a very weak person

Shakespeare wrote "it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all", not Alfred Tennyson.

To me it means that it is a good life experience to positively remember how we love those we care for when they are gone then to go through life with out being able to love and only imagine the experience.

I lost the love of my life very recently, I am really heartbroken, but I agree with this statement totally, I know alot of things I did wrong to screw up my first love, and if I ever have a chance with her again, or fall for someone else I can now tweak my relationship abilities and make it even better!!

Archived