LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

Gold Member
    Ok people feel how they feel and they are ENTITLED to that, I DON'T diss them, BUT I personally DON'T agree with this AT ALL. If someone breaks my heart, me personally, id rather not feel love at all then feel it then have it taken from me. But hey, thats just ME. I was just fine without being in love for the first time, and honestly, if i could go without heartache, id rather never feel love at all. Id rather be lonely from never being in love than lonely and heartbroken of being in love and having it ripped from me. But again, Thats MY personal opinion.

Originally Posted by scared and alone
    Ok people feel how they feel and they are ENTITLED to that, I DON'T diss them, BUT I personally DON'T agree with this AT ALL. If someone breaks my heart, me personally, id rather not feel love at all then feel it then have it taken from me. But hey, thats just ME. I was just fine without being in love for the first time, and honestly, if i could go without heartache, id rather never feel love at all. Id rather be lonely from never being in love than lonely and heartbroken of being in love and having it ripped from me. But again, Thats MY personal opinion.
    While I understand how you're feeling right now, cast your mind back to the days when you were falling in the love, to those exciting, nervous, wonderful days when you were experiencing love for the very first time. Now just think for a moment of just how wonderful that is going to feel when it comes around again.

I have had my heartbroken more times than I can remember but each time I have never given up on it. Falling in love is the most wonderful experience you can have. While this hurts like hell, and will probably hurt for a long time to come, I cannot wait until I fall in love again. This pain will all have been worth it.

Here's where the true value of the statement comes in, though:

If you've had your heart broken, you really learn how to appreciate love when you have it. That's not to say you wouldn't appreciate it anyway, but it becomes more valuable and more precious.

That's why, right now, I totally see the value of it. Travel back a year ago, though, and I would have slapped any person who said that to my face, because I was completely heartbroken. It's an easier statment to agree with when you've healed from heartbreak.

Once the heartache has passed and you no longer have an emotional investment in someone, looking back on loving someone is an intensely gratifying experience. Never having experienced that kind of thing would be the worst thing to happen to anyone.

i totally agree with him actually. if i'd never gotten my heart broken, i would never know which mistakes to avoid in the future. also, it's nice knowing what it's like to feel loved, so i know when someone else does or doesn't love me. all learning experiences.

I have been hurt many times, but when I find someone worthy of my love, loving them is a very enjoyable experience. To regret it would cheapen it.

I agree with it wholeheartedly, and like to think of it actually when going through rough times.

The point that is relevant, to me is that the gift is in the loving. Not whether someone loves me back or not.
    But that I learn and continue to love.

9. 08-05-2009, 03:31 AM
    Reason
    Being drunk & bitter

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Sn0man
    There is so much truth in that statement that it should jump off the page you're reading it from and punch you square in the nose.
    Agreed. For two years my ex treated me like a freaking yo-yo with her on-again/off-again fear of commitment, finally dumping me for no real reason at all. But damn if I don't look on our good times as some of the happiest in my life.

To feel otherwise would make me bitter, and that's the one quality you don't want in yourself if you ever want to love again.

Whether or not I agree with those words, there is some truth to them. It would be cowardly for a person to live their life not loving anyone simply because they thought that they were going to get hurt. The truth is that if you put yourself out there then you are going to get hurt. Being hurt is a part of the process, of course when a person is in the midst of a break up or still healing from a break up then I understand why people would disagree with it.

Silver Member
    I think the 'lost' part of it is the most important. It's how we learn. We humans can become a complacent bunch if not kept in check.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice