My Pooch

ACarrington

My pooch passed away this morning. I've had him since I was 6 years old. I'm almost 22 now. I was with him when he passed. I was there for his last breath... What a horrible and yet beautiful thing. I am so distraught but thankful I could be there for him when he passed. I seriously think he waited till I woke up this morning. I woke up and noticed that something was very wrong. He died in my lap 10 minutes later...

Anyway, there is an actual point to this post. I was wondering if anyone could diagnose what they think happened to my dog. He had been passing liquidy blood the past couple of days. Dark maroon in color. The vet said he might have eaten something that upset his stomach, we have an old lady in the neighborhood who feeds all the dogs and cats of our street scraps and treats, and to give him this medicine and everything might be ok. The vet said since Max was so old there would be no use to operate or do anything drastic. The vet seemed optimistic... Well obviously my dog bleed to death Im pretty sure, but I was wondering does anyone know what might have caused this to begin with???

Thank you.

I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved pet.

Dark Maroon stools is usually a sign of internal bleeding.

He lived quite a long life for a dog- it could be so many things at that point, like something he ate (but unless it was a foreign object I don't understand how it would cause blood), or a tumor, etc.

As the vet mentioned, at his old age, even if they found out what was going on, the anesthesia for a surgery would be very risky to give him.

I'm glad that you gave him a good home for all of those years.

Hang in there,

Bella

I also have had a dog that we got in 1993, hes an very old pup and i feel your pain and i start to think about his passing.

When he was a puppy he ate about 10 chicken that really hurt him inside, im not sure what the lady was feeding the animals or if your poor guy got into the wrong garbage, but id be upset if she was feeding them anything period, specifically for this reason.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Any kind of pet loss for me is always really hard for me to endure. I have 8 cats, one dog and two fishes. So I have dealt with a lot of pet loss which is very difficult at times.

But you had him since you were 6 years old till now? That's a really long life. I would appreciate that he had that long of a life. Very thankful for that opportunity. Also, no one can replace him!

Remember all the great memories that you had together. That's the most important thing that he left behind. Those are guaranteed to make you smile.

I had a dog I got at 13 that lived for almost 17 years. I had a dream there was something wrong with her leg.. Found out a few months after her death, she'd died from my parents,

Don't know why they didn't bother to tell me that she'd passed away... Remember feeling very uneasy that weekend, when she had died, but didn't know it.

At least you were there for your dog when they left for dog heaven. I think in heaven we will all be reunited with our pets.

Archived