Thank you, random homeless man

jengh

Last night, my boyfriend and I were out in Liverpool. We decided to stop and sit on the steps of the big library for a bit. Something happened that caused us to get into a mini-argument where he got upset and went to get some air. He didn't venture far, just around the corner but it was enough time for some man to drag me away.

This man, a decently dressed black man in his late 20s-early 30s, would not let me go. He pretended to be nice at first, but when I wouldn't go with him, started to get angry. He said he would walk me home. He walked me in a completely opposite direction (which, even with being new to the city, I realized). I kept screaming for help. No one helped. He led me down a dark alley-way... there were people scattered about. Despite my screams and pleas for help, no one stopped to help me. He kept dragging, getting violent with me. I started crying, he got angrier. He dragged me to the ground. I thought, "Oh my god, he's going to rape me".

And then, out of nowhere, a homeless man steps in. He yells at this man to stop, to leave me alone. The assailant initially tries to ward him off, telling him to get out of there. He wouldn't and he didn't. At this point, I was bawling my head off, I think (?? I'm sort of fuzzy on the details..I sort of blacked things out) I was pushed to the ground (I have a skinned knee). Homeless Man eventually got him off and Assailant took off out of there.

Homeless Man stayed with me until my boyfriend was able to find me. I was in a completely random spot of town. I owe this man so much. I gave him all the £ I had, but I still feel like it wasn't enough. The only details he had about himself was that he stayed in some park.

We called the police and they came to take statements. Because I had had wine HOURS previously, they wouldn't so much as write anything down. They didn't take me seriously at all. Despite my crying, my obvious distress...nothing. Not even so much as, "I'm sorry this happened to you". They were just cold. They said they would take a statement tomorrow (today) but it's 3pm and nothing.

As of now, we're trying to track down homeless man as he was the only sober witness to the crime.

To the homeless man--thank you. You saved me from a violent, horrible crime and I owe you my life for that.

Random acts of kindness. Out of all the people who saw this assailant dragging me along, as I was crying out for help, he was the only one to stop and help me.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, he couldn't hear me. We can't figure out why.

Yeah, he just came up and grabbed me, despite me saying NO multiple times. Not many people were around the library at that time, however, as we were on our "walk"/drag, there were a LOT of passerby.

Which makes me angry. If you saw a young woman being dragged against her will, wouldn't you stop to help and see if she was okay? It's not like it was a joking matter (when couples play-fight)... I was CRYING.

Oh god......I started crying while reading this. I'm so glad you are okay. I can't imagine the terror you must have felt. I'm soooo soooo sorry you went through this.

Homeless guy, God bless him. That was your angel watching over you. I hope you find him so you can thank him appropiately. I bet he doesn't even realize what an angel he is.

Can you complain to the police chief or something for the police lack of empathy and not taking the report or investigating further?

OMG Jenn!!!! How horrible!! And the cops were so useless!! I'm so sorry that happened. You were soooo lucky that this homeless man had the balls to stand up for you.

I know, I'm so upset with the cops. I wasn't drunk. They could've breathilyzed me had they wanted to prove that!!! They just didn't care!!!

Out of all the people, I never would've expected a random homeless man. What a good heart. I wish I could have given him more. I am forever grateful.

metro, thank you so much for your words.

I'd like to place a formal complaint with the chief of police. I need to find out how it's done over here. Their lack of empathy is appalling. I felt like, "Oh, she's drunk...she brought it on herself"... but I wasn't drunk

I hope this homeless man is more reflective of the people over there then the cowards who did nothing. Bad apples.

I'm sorry you had to thru this, but knowing there are people like this Saint out there that are willing to do the right thing, regardless of their situation, does make me smile.

I'd like to place a formal complaint with the chief of police. I need to find out how it's done over here. Their lack of empathy is appalling. I felt like, "Oh, she's drunk...she brought it on herself"... but I wasn't drunk removed[/i]
This is really scary! Oh my god, so glad you are ok. I can't believe no one tried to help you at first. I know I'm repeating myself, but this story really shocks me.

Thank god for that kind man. I hope he'll get rewarded somehow!

Thanks sophie...

I know, seriously...if it wasn't for him...

I'm really sorry this happened to you. A tip for the future that I hope you don't need: Instead of yelling HELP, yell FIRE. It's been shown that people will come running for a call of fire yet frequently ignore cries for help.

Holy holy holy holy hell Jenn. I can't believe that. I'm so sorry, must of been terrifying.

You could probably find the homeless man somewhere.

Don't let him leave you alone in a strange city again. I know he could never of known that'd happen, but jesus.

Our justice system here isnt the best. My friend was in a similar situation not long ago where she actually had something sexual happen to her, the guy got off scott free because the police couldnt be bothered.

People just dont respond to people screaming help a lot here in the UK they just cant be botehred. I would have tried to help you.

Are you ok with your bf now?

People like the guy who saved you make the world seem a better place.

I hope you are ok, you should never go off by yourself, or be left alone. Its just not safe. Im so sorry

I'm really sorry this happened to you. A tip for the future that I hope you don't need: Instead of yelling HELP, yell FIRE. It's been shown that people will come running for a call of fire yet frequently ignore cries for help.

Thank you...

I think the lack of empathy for another human is ridiculous. If someone yells help, you help. It's a simple concept. But, good to know the FIRE works well nonetheless.

Oh my god! What a nightmare!

He definitely was an angel watching out for you.... you're so lucky he was there. Who knows what that other creep could have done.

People can really surprise you... can't believe so many saw that happen, and yet did nothing. I don't think i'll ever understand that. Nice to know there was at least one decent person there that came to your help.... hope you find him again some day to thank him.

(just one last thought.... don't go around those parts alone for a while in case that creep is still around - be safe.x)

Our justice system here isnt the best. My friend was in a similar situation not long ago where she actually had something sexual happen to her, the guy got off scott free because the police couldnt be bothered.

People just dont respond to people screaming help a lot here in the UK they just cant be botehred. I would have tried to help you.

Are you ok with your bf now?

People like the guy who saved you make the world seem a better place.

I hope you are ok, you should never go off by yourself, or be left alone. Its just not safe. Im so sorry

Ohh, I'm so sorry about your friend! It's terrible!!! It's similar in the US, they just can't be bothered.

My boyfriend and I are perfectly fine now, thanks. He blames himself but it's in no way his fault. He blames himself for bringing me to this city but these things happen anywhere. No one could have ever anticipated this happening. There are bad people everywhere you go, small towns, big cities. Just bad people.

Aside from being traumatized (and my stupid skinned knee), I'm fine thanks to the random homeless guy. I wish I could've done more for him.

I feel totally responsible. I brought her to this city, and I turned my back on her. I can't even remember what the stupid mini-argument was about but I went around a corner and when I returned she was gone. I rang the flat phone and she wasn't home, so I rang 999 and reported her missing... twice. Then I had this phone call from her phone the homeless guy had found in her bag and ran up there.. not only was it in the wrong direction to my flat... it was a goot half a mile in the wrong direction... uphill, on a busy street with drinkers still stood around at pubs and bars.

I don't blame her if she gives up on this country now, I've been assaulted myself in the past, given bad bruising and just as then, the police didn't even take a statment, having the attitute of happens'. I don't blame her if she just wants to get on the first plane back to Michigan, this is completely my fault.

I took 5 klonopin last night and 3 bong-fulls of weed and still couldn't get to sleep, so I spent the night contacting every agency I could find trying to track down the homeless guy. I'm still trying, I got very little sleep... fortunately Jenn did sleep. I haven't gone into work this morning and I won't be going in tomorrow, I don't want to leave her on her own... my mum is coming down for Friday night, I don't know what to do.

Ohh, I'm so sorry about your friend! It's terrible!!! It's similar in the US, they just can't be bothered.

My boyfriend and I are perfectly fine now, thanks. He blames himself but it's in no way his fault. He blames himself for bringing me to this city but these things happen anywhere. No one could have ever anticipated this happening. There are bad people everywhere you go, small towns, big cities. Just bad people.

Aside from being traumatized (and my stupid skinned knee), I'm fine thanks to the random homeless guy. I wish I could've done more for him.

In no way is it his fault, I agree. Just lots of effort should be made never to find yourself alone thats for sure.

That is true. There are bad people everywhere, sick people who wait around for girls who are alone etc.

He sounds like an amazing guy.

Archived