What does it mean when you stop caring about literally everything?

AlwayzRight

I mean things that I used to enjoy and thought were important such as hobbies, career..etc....I really do not care about anymore. I do not think it is depression or apathy but I do not know what it is and it worries me. I have had a rough year and it basically has made look at life in a completely different perspective. I am not happy with my life and it feels that no matter what I do or how hard I try to change it everything just stays the same.

This worries me and I do not know what it is or why I feel this way. I do not know if it is because my best friend and lover who I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with left me( 10 months ago) has anytrhing to do with it. I guess when you experience love for the first time and then it is gone it almost feels like everything else just doesnt matter. I do not have a passion for anything anymore, it is just a weird feeling and I do not think it is depression and I do not think it is apathy.. ..it is almost like I am burned out with life, I am burned out with trying to change my life, I am burned out with being unhappy with my life...I just feel burned out with everything.

redwings made a good advice, if you feel like you're stuck in a routine, it's time to shake things up. Make new friends, try new things that you never would before. You may find yourself getting excited over something new like the twilight series, or true blood show, or maybe you realize you like surfing or going to pilates.

I had the same feeling not too long ago....the lack of interest in basically everything almost made me fail out of school.

You need to find a way to snap yourself back into reality. It really could be depression, but there are ways to set yourself right. What people said above me is a good start. You could also try writing. Writing is a great way to let out repressed emotion. Take out anger on the fictional world, and let yourself continue living normally in the real world

We numb up at a certain point and just stop caring abt everything

if we've had enough or can't take things.Sometimes it's really good and productive to be that emotionally solid/void but overawhile it may become very deterimental,though honestly i think the numbed up not caring abt anything episodes are better to live with.

do you feel like it would help if you went and talked to someone. I remember going through something like that about two years ago...things that excited me once upon a time did nothing for me. I realized it was a combination of loneliness since I had a falling out with a friend and that I needed to start getting interested in different things since I was bored of the same old routine. What really helped me to discover this though, was talking to my mom and my co-workers. Talk to someone about how your feeling it may help you feel better.

dysthmia? Annhedonia?

No this is something I just started feeling in the last probably 6 months...and after reading about each I seriously doubt it is either one...

Basically when I was with my ex it was the happiest time of my life..I didnt generally enjoy my life before I met this person but the things I did not like I was always trying to change and improve. The things that I ddint like about my life were basically bearable because I was in love and I felt that is all that I needed .When she left me I looked at my life and generally didnt like alot of things in it. I have been trying for the last 9 months to do different things, try new hobbies, I have met alot of different people, made alot of different friends. The thing that bothers me though is basically of all the different things I have tried to do to change the things in my life, nothing has changed and nothing has gotten better. I am tired.....I am buned out....I do not want to try anymore because no matter how hard I try nothing seems to ever change. (Example I have been looking for a new job for 5 years basically)

Maybe I need to do something DRASTIC...some type of change to the EXTREME to force myself to be motivated to adapt to the type of change...The thing is I just do not know what that is.

do you feel like it would help if you went and talked to someone. I remember going through something like that about two years ago...things that excited me once upon a time did nothing for me. I realized it was a combination of loneliness since I had a falling out with a friend and that I needed to start getting interested in different things since I was bored of the same old routine. What really helped me to discover this though, was talking to my mom and my co-workers. Talk to someone about how your feeling it may help you feel better.

I have talked to my mom about this....she tells me that she has gone through some things like this herself but the only advice she really gives me is to say keep trying things will get better..blah blah blah...I am tired of trying..she actually asked me if I felt suicidal ( I dont) because I told her I dont care about anything anymore...even things I used to care about just do not seem important or fun anymore in my life...they just dont mean that much to me as they used to in the grand scheme of this thing called life.

Sounds like classic depression to me. Maybe time to visit a doctor for a proper diagnosis and medication?

...I really do not feel it is depression...it is just that I do not want to try anymore to change things because no matter what I do, nothing changes...I am burnt out of trying.

...I really do not feel it is depression...it is just that I do not want to try anymore to change things because no matter what I do, nothing changes...I am burnt out of trying.

I still say you're describing classic depression. But that said, no-one here can tell you what's wrong or what's going on with you - hence my suggestion you seek help via a doctor for a professional diagnosis. There's no point in guessing and going around in circles never having an answer. If you want to fix this, seek help.

I am experiencing something similar, and I don't consider it depression. Because if it were, I don't think I'd be eating or sleeping well. My energy levels can be low especially after work, not wanting to do anything, or even when doing something I used to like I no longer feel enjoyment out of it anymore. I've done the same things others already mentioned, i.e. meeting new people, doing different types of activities and things really haven't changed for the better.

Basically I know there are only one of two things that keeps me feeling alive right now. One would be studying, but even this can have its low points. Still, I am motivated in studying so I'm quite sure this is one of the remaining things I feel I can still pour my life on.

The second would be having a relationship. Every time I meet a girl I'm attracted to, it can be exciting. But this only lasts up to the point where I get rejected. I'm afraid that even this will eventually reach a point where I will stop caring.

It can feel scary sometimes, how I act around people...wearing a smile, pretending my life is a-ok, but deep down, feeling empty.

I still say you're describing classic depression. But that said, no-one here can tell you what's wrong or what's going on with you - hence my suggestion you seek help via a doctor for a professional diagnosis. There's no point in guessing and going around in circles never having an answer. If you want to fix this, seek help.

Yeah but we both know that these so called professional diagnosises are just opinions, that vary. Basically they wil just say that I am depressed an to take this Prozac or Paxil ....etc and it will make you feel better. The thing is why should we be FORCED to be happy by taking some type of meds when there is really nothing in my life to be happy about..it is almost like being fake or being a zombie without any TRUE emotions...I just do not feel that is the best way to handle the situation.

I just do not feel that is the best way to handle the situation.

So what do you suggest?? So you reckon it's much better feeling the way you do right now? If so, then what's the point of this thread? You obviously don't intend getting help and seem to have all the answers, so I'm not too sure what you are looking for.

So what do you suggest?? So you reckon it's much better feeling the way you do right now? If so, then what's the point of this thread? You obviously don't intend getting help and seem to have all the answers, so I'm not too sure what you are looking for.

I never said it was better, I meant that being MADE to feel happy by taking meds isnt the best solution to the problem. The better solution would be to find the cause of the problem and fix or change it. I do not have all the answers. As a matter of fact I do not have any answers. Why do you think I am posting on an internet message board? I am hoping to hear from people who have felt somrthing similar and dealt with similar situations and to hear why they felt it started and what they did to change it, and get over it, and move on from it. Being FORCED to be FAKE HAPPY by taking meds IMO is not the answer to solving the issue.

I dont believe in taking "happy pills" either. I only rely on pills for physical ailments. Doctors can explain to me its some sort of chemical imbalance or whatever, but I firmly believe anything pyschological/mental/emotional should be solved from within.

The same with psychologists. I studied a bit of psychology so "mind tricks" don't work on me. Besides, I probably don't feel compassion taking advice or help from someone who just considers it their job. They listen to you talk, put it in a Word document as a report...I mean, our problems aren't just something you file into a cabinet. Though, I wish my mind worked that way.

• 1 month later...

I am so sick of feeling unhappy. Meeting new people, trying new things...etc everything I try to do and nothing helps...I still think about my ex and still hate my job with a PASSION...This is like a prison that I am unable to get out of. I need some type of DRASTIC change. I am considering moving half way accross the country where I visited a friend and had a great time about 10 months ago jsut to feel free again like I have a new chance at life....

I am so sick of feeling unhappy. Meeting new people, trying new things...etc everything I try to do and nothing helps...I still think about my ex and still hate my job with a PASSION...This is like a prison that I am unable to get out of. I need some type of DRASTIC change. I am considering moving half way accross the country where I visited a friend and had a great time about 10 months ago jsut to feel free again like I have a new chance at life....

"Example I have been looking for a new job for 5 years basically"

Wow!!!!. I know this might be cliche but you took my life and put it into words. Seriously wow, it is so similar to the stuff I have been dealing with I had to read all the posts over again to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

I don't think it is depression because when I went to the doctors for this he said "You have none of the classic signs of depression." I never thought I would be disapointed that I wasn't being diagnosed with depression. After that I didn't know what else to do. Tried changing stuff, making new friends, new hobbies.

Please if you find something that works let me know and if I find anything I will be sure to pass it along.

Archived