post-coital headaches? i'm so scared!

the last 5 times we've had sex my fiance has had what i found out online is called post coital headaches. it is something i've never heard of before but it is very severe headaches caused by orgasm in my fiance's case. from what i read online they basically said if it's something you've dealt with your whole life then there is medication you can take every day to keep the headaches at bay but if it is a new thing then you need to see a doctor because it could be-anurisms, bleeding of the brain, a tumor, etc. none of the options for suddenly developing this when you're his age (almost 23) sounded positive at all.

i know i could be over-reacting but now i am so freaked out...i don't know what i would do without him and now i'm scared every time we have sex he might die! last night at midnight was when his head started hurting really bad, at 1 am he went to the hospital. the cat scan they did didn't find anything. they gave him a shot of pain medicine to help. he got to sleep around 4 but when we woke up at 9 this morning he still had it. i keep calling him and it still hasn't went away. so it's been 12 hours now, from midnight last night to noon today...

i don't know what to do, he's trying to get into the clinic instead of the hospital today. he has no health insurance so this is either going to more than break the bank or they are going to pay for it.

i had a nightmare last night about him suddenly vomiting mass amounts of blood. it just kept coming and coming , and me having a panic attack made my throat close up so tight i couldn't call for help, wasting precious time while his life just drained away. i layed awake as soon as that woke me up, just rubbing his head and listening to him breathe until it was time to go to work...

e.

Emptysoul, I have been there. I used to have the same problem. It came out of nowhere and shared the living siht out of me. Whenever I used to come, I used to get this blinding headache. After orgasming, it reduces to a dull throb that stays for hours. It used to make my life miserable. I couldn't function after I had come. For me, the headache used to emanate from the behind of my right eye. Essentially to get rid of it, I had to sleep for several hours at a stretch. Ask your guy if these are the same symptoms he has.

I did a lot of research on it. I talked to a couple of doctors too. It can be anything, ranging from a migraine to coital cephalgia to an aneurysm. I suggest he take it seriously. However, in most of the cases, it is coital cephalgia. Google it and you will find out. I realized that was what I had atleast. And it is the most common cause for these types of headaches.

I will pen down my observations and you can see if they match with your case. The headache starts like a button ON the moment you climax. There is no 'aura'.

Now from what I read (and it worked with me), these headaches go away after you orgasm a second time, in a series. That is, the moment he comes the first time, the headaches will set in. But if he can manage a second orgasm, say after half an hour or so, the headache will disappear. Weird! But it worked for me.

Secondly, a suggested solution was abstinence for a few days. You need to lay off sex for say a week or two. He needs to make sure that he doesn't orgasm by himself either. Usually, after a week or ten days, the problem will sort itself out. Thats what happened to me. I kept off it for ten days and it was fine after that. I thought it would be extremely hard to abstain for that long, but believe me, the pain is a major deterrent.

As for quick relief, I used to take a strong analgesic (ibuprofane). It didn't make the headache disappear totally but helped somewhat.

Let me know if this helps. All the best.

Take Care.

I experience this pretty often, too. I've realized that most of the time it happens after car-sex, or really intense sex, so the only thing I can think of is being deprived of oxygen. I have low blood pressure, too, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Snacking on something after sex, or even having a cigarette (even though I'm not a regular smoker) helps a lot.

It's this realllly annoying, throbbing pain on the left side of my head, directly above my eye.

I never get headaches or migraines, so it's weird that I only get them after sex sometimes.

My ex gf used to get massive headaches, from what we figured out was from simply getting off good, all the pressure and pushing and sometimes lack of breathing all contributed.

Think about it. Hold your breath, and push all the blood into your head as if you were trying to make your face read, in combination of an orgasm and you might just have a mind splitting headache.

Ok I am going to say this assuming what I read about it was correct. But these headaches are completely different for girls than for guys. Girls rarely experience serious and severe headaches. When it happens to a guy, the possibilities are much more dangerous and risky. I don't know the medical reason for it. But you can look it up online. So I presume females experience these headaches because of normal causes like lack of oxygen or excessive exertion etc.

But in the case of the OPs bf, I suspect it is a little more serious. If he can't get rid of the headaches after sleeping for 4-5 hours, I can imagine how hard it must be. Trust me, it is not your run of the mill headache. It needs to be looked at differently. I have been there and so know how it feels. You can't function for days! Until you sleep for like 8-9 hours.

Don't intend to belittle anyone else's opinion or experience. Apologies if I have don that. Just that I feel it is something that needs more attention.

got it sorted out. his headache got worse again suddenly around 1pm so i we went back to the hospital. like i said, they didn't find anything in the cat scan they pumped him full of pain medicine today..we've got to get in to a normal doc then go to a nurologist to get a script he's gonna have to take every day. they said until then he needs to make sure he takes ibuprofin any time before we're gonna have sex.

i just can't believe this is a real medical issue! GRR. nuts. i'm just so glad he's okay. i'm nervous the nurologist might find something they didn't but it's pretty likely he'll be okay.

thanks everyone for the advice and letting me know we're not alone!!!

e.

Archived