"Couples" friends.....is this weird?

Hello ENA'ers....I see and receive good advice on here often, so I thought I'd run this one past you.

My husband and I don't have many mutual friends. Our closest ones live out of state, so we're always looking to meet new people to do things with (camping, hiking, go out and have fun etc). Is it weird to meet someone say from the past, and after some small talk ask what their interests are as a couple and flat out tell them we're trying to find other couples to do fun things with?

I never used to (come out and ask) and let it happen on it's own and we seemed to find people who were like teenagers (not that all teens like to do this, but)....all they wanted to do was sit around and drink and do drugs and there was NO intellectual conversation whatsoever. Granted, that's what we used to like to do with others and eachother, but we're no longer (and haven't been for years) doing that. So, now if I meet someone and from what they tell me it seems as though we'd all connect I just come out and ask.

I'm worried that it's not being taken in a good way because well...that doesn't seem to be working either. I usually don't get much of a response (so far has been in email or facebook). I'm thinking...maybe it's a weird way to approach it? What do you all think?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I don't think it would be weird at all to ask. I actually think people would appreciate what you are looking for because I believe a lot of married people have the same problem.

Maybe check out link removed in your area. They may have a group geared towards exactly what you are lookinbg for.

Hi Vanishing,

Me and my husband is in the same boat as you. I find it so hard to make friends. We love to go camping, hiking, and all that stuff.

Example: Me, hub and kids went camping last weekend. We invited our babysitter and her hub and kids. Well we got there set up and my babysitter and her hub just left, saying they were going to get ciggs, or whatever. I dont think they stayed there for more than an hour at a time. Whats up with that? I thought you went camping to relax and enjoy.

My problem is that most women I meet end up talking about you behind your back or starting some kind of high school drama. Im well past that stage and dont judge people for how they act or what they do. (Its none of my business)

I want to comment on the drinking and alcohol thing. I do smoke and I think that holds me back from meeting some great people. I just wanted to say dont hold that against everyone. Not everyone is burnt out on drugs. I have been smoking 15 years and I can still hold a conversation of any topic, atleast thats what I think.

I get what you mean about people taking it the wrong way, I have tried meeting people online and they seem to think that I want to either take their man or I want to join in with them, if you know what I mean. I gave up meeting couples that way.

I wish you luck I know how hard it is to meet people with the same kind of likes and interest as you.

Thanks ladies for the replies!

Doya- I don't have anything against people smoking or drinking (we like to drink occasionally, but we like many other things too).. it's just that in the past the couples we were meeting were literally do it ALL the time....and that's all they did.

I'm not down with the drama either.

As for your smoking and not meeting certain people... that's a shame for them too because they don't know what they're giving up by having that discrimination. Smoking (whether it be cigs or pot,lol) doesn't bother me at all so long as they're not the focus of activities.

I appreciate your comments. I do it to get through the day the same as some people take antidepressants.

Most people find friends through work, but all I hear when I walk past on break is girls taking trash about someone that they were chit chatting on break earlier in the day. I just keep on walking. So if you come up with some ideas that works for you, let us other lonely people in on the secret.

I hear what you're saying about the workplace. Fortunately (and unfortunately) I work for a small agency (4 people including me), so I don't get the chance to meet many new people, but there is no "he said, she said" here

Where do you live? LOL too bad- I'm sure we're far apart or we could all camp and hike together

Im here in what they call Normal (but far from it) IL. Its like 2 hours from Chicago.

If you ever get a chance to come out this way camp at whats called Evergreen Lake (comlara park) its awesome, and another would be starved rock. You can camp and hike to waterfalls. Me and my husband went without the boys and had so much fun. Be careful hiking there can be dangerous.

I now work in a room by myself, helping people with free divorces, child support, that kind of thing so no meeting friends for me here. Especially after hearing their stories, lol. Anyway dont get on here much but PM if you want, would love to chit chat.

Archived