chihuahua training

.piper.

My chihuahua is 4 months old. I have never trained a puppy before. He used to only go on the puppy trainning pads when I first got him but now he poops on my rug when I am not home. I even had a puppy pad next to my rug - not sure if he is only doing this while I am not there or not. How do I get him out of it?

My chihuahua is 4 months old. I have never trained a puppy before. He used to only go on the puppy trainning pads when I first got him but now he poops on my rug when I am not home. I even had a puppy pad next to my rug - not sure if he is only doing this while I am not there or not. How do I get him out of it?

I have a yr old toy chi, she uses a crate/litter box (with a puppy pad in it) when she's inside and can't make it out. I just kept on having to catch her in the act and taking her immediately to her box and firmly saying "this is wher you potty" when I put her in the box. It took about a month, but she hasn't had an accident since.

Puppys need alot of consistent attention when it comes to training them to use a box or puppy pad.

I personally don't have rugs or carpet in any rooms in my house, so maybe that's why she only goes to her box. Maybe you should take up your rug while he's learning so as not to confuse him??

I have a yr old toy chi, she uses a crate/litter box (with a puppy pad in it) when she's inside and can't make it out. I just kept on having to catch her in the act and taking her immediately to her box and firmly saying "this is wher you potty" when I put her in the box. It took about a month, but she hasn't had an accident since.

Puppys need alot of consistent attention when it comes to training them to use a box or puppy pad.

I personally don't have rugs or carpet in any rooms in my house, so maybe that's why she only goes to her box. Maybe you should take up your rug while he's learning so as not to confuse him??

In the beginning I had to put my dog in a cage because of his destructive tendencies and bladder control issues (he is a big dog who pees rivers!). Wouldn't you know he figured out how to aim outside the cage so his cage would be nice and dry and there would be a huge yellow lake all over the floor!

In the beginning I had to put my dog in a cage because of his destructive tendencies and bladder control issues (he is a big dog who pees rivers!). Wouldn't you know he figured out how to aim outside the cage so his cage would be nice and dry and there would be a huge yellow lake all over the floor!

lol...her litter box is separate from her crate that she sleeps in.

You're dog sounds too cute

Unfortunately you have to reward the good behavior and only scold him if you catch him pooping on your carpet. If he does it when you're away, then all you can do is clean it up because if you scold him later, he won't associate the scolding with his earlier poo-accident.Chihuahuas (we have three) are notorious for being stubborn to potty-train. Ours know very well to go outside but we STILL have accidents with them, and they weren't consistent until around 9-months old.

If he is pooping on your rug, then move the potty pad to that spot. When you see him potty on it, praise him like crazy with verbal affirmation (and treats, too). It might take a while but he'll get it.

I have a yr old toy chi, she uses a crate/litter box...

Not to be a jerk, but there is no such thing as "toy" anything. "Toy" or "teacup" Chis (or whatever other kind of dog) is just a marketing term made up to sell them. Bad breeders breed the runts of their litters in order to get "toy" or "teacup" and if done only to make them small, they end up having a LOT of health issues. I'm not saying this to be mean nor put you down at all... just trying to educate. A lot of people (not saying you) have been taken in by the whole "teacup" "toy" marketing lie. The "AKC" size shouldn't be more than 6lbs, but non-AKC (family dogs, not show dogs) like ours are on the larger side... all of them are about 8lbs each. They can range up to 10lbs.

Archived