do you ever stop loving someone?

or rather, have you ever stopped loving someone? can you.. have you love other people, after?? is it possible to have room in your heart to love another person, just as much or even more than you did the first time around??

I can stop loving some people romantically, but if I really truly loved them, then it's there forever with me. It never ever goes away. It's a curse and a gift I think, but mostly a gift. I just talked to my 10 year ex girfriend (ex's for more then 3 years now) last night for about an hour. It was wonderful to hear her voice, and it was easy to talk to her. I don't have an ounce of animosity about anything, and I truly love her. I don't need to own her, or sleep with her, or command her, or anything as possessive as any of that though. I can just be her fan, and root for her, and wish her so much happiness. And really, she does that for me too. It was so worth it, the way we handled everything with each other. I can't say enough about her character. Sweetest woman ever.

But romantically, part of me is still hung up on the ex after her. I guess that will probably go away too, but who really knows. Actually, I know it goes away once you truly fall in love with another person, but if she's out there, I haven't met her yet.

or rather, have you ever stopped loving someone? can you.. have you love other people, after?? is it possible to have room in your heart to love another person, just as much or even more than you did the first time around??

Certainly. When I was 19 and very much in love I thought my ex was the only one for me. I thought, "I simply can't live without him". He ended up cheating on me and breaking my heart. It took a long time, but I did recover from it. In fact, I have no feelings for him whatsoever now. I think about him only once in a blue moon.

I loved my second ex (and only other boyfriend) far more than I ever loved the first guy. I think it also helped that we were friends for a long time before we dated. It didn't end well, but I can say that I loved him much more deeply than the first guy. Perhaps it helped that I was older?

If you aren't bitter, there is always room in your heart for another person. Friend or lover. However, that can be quite a feat for some people. Forgiveness is key.

I been in 2 serious relationships that I thought were "the one" and couldn't even imagine EVER loving anyone more then them. Boy was I wrong, I loved the first guy, the second one more and my husband now blows them out of the water. So to answer your question yes you can & you will! Your heart has alot of lovin to give lol

It's a double-edged sword. Too much of the bad side can put you off of it. In extreme cases, I would imagine completely. I believe that would have to be really extreme though. As long as you have a strong enough sense of and love for yourself, then you'll always have enough to give, in whatever context you may deem fitting.

I think the answer is definitly yes.

I've seen it happen with an ex of mine. When he was with me, he was in love (or thought he was). Yet he didn't treat me that well.

But as he got new gf's I could see his love kept growing and he just seems to treat them (in public anyways and the way he speaks of them to others) better. He's still a jerk though when it comes to break ups but that's another topic.

For me, it's also been the case. Each relationship has made me open my heart more and more, while being more cautious. But every relationship makesme discover new sides of myself I never knew existed.

I feel like I learned a bit more with each relationship, and the current one I'm in feels most like the real deal. I can't say the same for my past ones, even though it felt like it back then when I had less experience..

I've stopped loving and caring about myself. So it is possible to stop loving someone. Love, love is just a mental state of mind. Its something that we are made to believe is true. Its like advertising.

Unfortunately both love and sex seem to have been completely defiled by modern culture. You can still get the good stuff, though. You've just gotta search it out.

I have grown out of love with some. i have absolutely moved on to to love others. One I was unable to stop loving, even while with someone else. others i realized after the fact that i was never in love with at all...sometimes the 'degree' of love changes. ie, I still have a warm feeling of general fondness (love) towads my daughters father, becasue we have the bond of a child together, but I was no longer in love with him, like married people should be, when we divorced.

when you guys talk about falling out of love with someone... did you still long for them after? is that a by-product of past love? or does that mean you haven't stopped loving them? maybe it's somewhere in the middle?.. does it ever go away?

It's only fully gone away when I met someone else and fell in love with them.

Otherwise the feelings still linger till I at least begin dating someone or have a new interest in someone new.

I admit that there is an ex, I made a thread about, who still stirs up alot of feelings in me. Not love though, just a bit of pain due to the way things ended. And it's been 3 yrs or so since things ended.

I dated lots of other guys though and only the ones who hurt me bad, left me with alot of memories. The other I moved on from really quick.

However, when you find someone new, you love and who loved you back, it's almost like all those ex's never even existed (unless you keep bumping into them) and even then they won't make much of an impact like they used to.

I'm not saying getting a new relationship is the way to move on. Take the time to grieve, and get to know yourself.

But when a new relationship happens it sure seems to help.

when you guys talk about falling out of love with someone... did you still long for them after? is that a by-product of past love? or does that mean you haven't stopped loving them? maybe it's somewhere in the middle?.. does it ever go away?

You definitely don't long for someone you have fallen out of love with, in any circumstance.

However, you can stop longing for someone's company and still have feelings of genuine love and concern for them, just not to the same degree as you did when you were together.

I think people these days are too quick to jump ship through the tough times. A couple of generations ago people would stick through the tough times and work things out and keep that love going. So many times I just see people give up when it gets tough. Does loyalty go hand in hand with love? Gone are the days where you expect to be with someone forever. how many people now meet in their 20s and stay forever?

yes I agree with jul-els...you dont usually long for someone once you no longer are in love with them. Maybe a situation, or place...but not the person. I think if you are still longing and missing someone...you probably still love them. and i think out of sight. out of mind helps that feeling fade;lessen. But if you still love them after quite a while of not seeing them then it is possibly a love that will never die

There are so many different types of love out there that it's easy for people to confuse them and mix them up. I have found a website where they explain the 4 different types of love, which are:

SECURITY LOVE

This love is the love that everybody needs to survive. It is that feeling of being cared for and nurtured. Some people would describe this as the type of love parents have for their children. This is so important: high on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs; and studies have even proven that people have died of a "broken heart" (there have been no explanations for their deaths other than that).

FRIENDSHIP LOVE

This is a love between yourself and someone that is totally honest, open and comfortable. You really only have this kind of bond with a few people. You might know a lot of people and be "friendly" with them in a group situation but they are not the best friends I am talking about here.

I have a theory that you can not truly be best friends with a member of the opposite sex. Down the line romance will always come up from either party and feelings will be misinterpreted and mistaken. When this happens, the friendship will change and possibly never be the same again.

ROMANTIC LOVE

(The much anticipated love!) Most people experience this type of love many times in their life. It is when you see that person for the first time and he/she makes your knees go weak or gives you butterflies in your stomach.i.e. "Love at first sight”. Most people don’t even love the person they think they are in love with…they fall in love with the idea if being in love. This is more of a lustful kind of love, it wears off after a while and hopefully leads to...

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

This is the sincere love, the love that lasts forever. This kind of love comes when you have found the person you are destined to be with. Nothing can destroy unconditional love. It is like when you have an argument or disagree about something with that person and you realize that it doesn’t bother you because the love you have for him/her overcomes everything.

I dont believe in love. Bc I believe that, I think the feeling we think is love fades as its just an emotion. Most emotions come and go.

But lets say I did believe in it...I dont get how someone can love two ppl at the same time?

I dont believe in love. Bc I believe that, I think the feeling we think is love fades as its just an emotion. Most emotions come and go.

But lets say I did believe in it...I dont get how someone can love two ppl at the same time?

For some, love is not an emotion, but a choice.

There are different kinds of love. I love my ex, but I'm not attached to her. I just want her to be happy.

Yes you can, I used to love my ex so much that I went through the worst bouts of depression in order to cling onto our relationship. I stopped loving him though, I didn't realise it till it was completley gone. But I definitely loved him once.

I love my current boyfriend now to bits, I really do. So yes you can stop loving someone and love someone else.

Archived