A Thread For Those Of Us Losing Weight

So I figured I would start a thread for those of us who are currently trying to lose weight.

Maybe we could talk about how much weight we're trying to lose, what diet we're doing and come here for support during hard times, as well as motivate each other?

What do you guys think?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started working out about 7 weeks ago. I've gained 6 lbs in that time because I get sooo hungry after cardio. Even though I was eating well, I was eating too much. That's why I've decided to stop doing cardio and just focus on weights and diet. I'd like to lose about 10 from this point and get all nice and toned.

It doesn't sound too hard, but it is!

Sign me up. I've got to lose about 8 stone (which is alot)...to get to my ideal weight. I'm always going to be heavy set, here they call it a "rugby" build, I don't know the equivalent in the U.S though my doctor (American) says I could have played defense in American football.

Over the last couple of years I did alot of weight work in the gym, and swimming. My upper body, and legs actually toned up really well, though I still have a big stomach. I don't have "rolls" of fat like many people get, even when sitting down, its just one big roll. I stopped the exercise earlier this year when I fell down some stairs and severely damaged my ankle. Suffice to say everything 'loosened' and I got bigger.

Anyway, I went to the doctor a week or so ago and he gave me appetite suppresants. My main problem was although I wasn't perfect I ate too big portions of food. In last week I have cut out all the bad foods and just given myself one "cheat meal" a week. I started drinking more water, cut out full sugared soft drinks and I started exercising again. I have decided to stop with the weights and have begun doing 30 minutes cycling a day, which I plan to build up...I've lost a bit in the past week (not as much as I wanted to) but I plan to persevere with it.

Currently the average (yesterday as example) day seems to be:

Breakfast: A Banana (I'm aweful at eating when I get up, so I force myself) and water

Lunch: Baked Beans on Toast (just one slice, no butter, a small sprinkle of cheese, and water as a drink

Afternoon: 30 mins exercise, and an apple as a snack if I get hungry, plus plenty of water

Dinner: Whatever the family is having, which is usually meat, potatoes and 2xveg. I dish mine out onto a smaller plate now, and never go back for seconds.

I obviously mix it up a bit, but I have noticed some positive changes even if the weight hasn't fallen off like I wanted (lost 2 pounds in a week)...All the bits that seemed loose now seem to have tightened up again. My shirts that got tight before are looser, my swimming trunks that got tight to my stomach (leaving marks) are now looser...and I've noticed a positive change in my bowel movements, and complexion.

I admit I cheated this morning and ate a Bacon and Sausage roll for breakfast, but thing is I wasn't really hungry at lunch time and just had a banana, then wasn't hungry until my main meal and hour or so ago, so I think it might of evened itself out...Though I still find myself petrified i'll get on the scales (which aren't very good accurate anyway as i'm above the weight they go up to, so the needle goes round once, and round some again which I take to mean my weight) and it'll all baloon on again.

OH well, got to persevere I suppose. Will be nice to come in here and hopefully keep motivated.

I wanna lose 20lbs. I usually do about 15-30 mins cardio 4 times a week, 5 if possible. Plus my work is practically a workout.. I don't snack anymore, I don't drink fizzy drinks.. I have been brilliant with my food.. and still.. no weight loss in 3 weeks.

Aw this is really cool!

Well, I gained a lot of weight when I started college and it's been impossible to lose so far (didn't have any motivation). I started to diet this summer (I'm doing Atkins), and I've lost 12 pounds so far... I'm 8 pounds away from my first goal weight. I'm a dancer, though I've stopped for around a year, and now I'm trying to get back to that... although it's a bit harder with the extra weight.

So far I'm doing fine, I'm motivated and I really want to do this. I just know it's going to get tougher sometime along the road and I figured posting our progress here or coming for support might make it easier.

Some people don't find meals filling and it depends what they are eating so they may still feel hungry.

that's why they gain weight. you shouldn't eat until you are full. you should get your body used to eating more frequently (4-5 times a day) and smaller meals so you trick your body into being full constantly. also, watch the calories you are bringing in. 2 huge meals is worse than 5 small ones depending on the contents of course. but 2 huge meals and being full will train your body to store as much fat as possible.

that's why they gain weight. you shouldn't eat until you are full. you should get your body used to eating more frequently (4-5 times a day) and smaller meals so you trick your body into being full constantly. also, watch the calories you are bringing in. 2 huge meals is worse than 5 small ones depending on the contents of course. but 2 huge meals and being full will train your body to store as much fat as possible.

I'm simply answering your question.

Is ham a good source of protein for sandwiches? Or too much sodium?

i eat it. i get club sandwiches every once in a while. i eat a lot throughout the day, so i don't get sandwiches longer than 6". also, if you eat sandwiches, get pickles and tomatoes, the acid in them help inhibit the fats in the meats and such. helps your body break it down better. try staying away from ranch and mayo type toppings. wheat is the best bread, but i stray and get others sometimes. they are usually only 20-40 calories more in bread types, but, yeah, it does add up. most of the time i get wheat. tuna salad is really good on sandwiches too. all you need extra might be oil and vinegar. try not to use too much oil.

My little piece of advice for those who are trying to lose weight on this thread: enjoy food! A well-prepared meal that is eaten with friends and family and with good conversation is not something to be feared, regardless of how many calories are in it. I think there is a huge problem with feelings of guilt about food, and with obsessions with calories and nutrients and ratios of protein to fat and when the best times to eat are and how long one should wait between meals!

I've been the healthiest and the happiest when I have focused on making delicious, healthy meals, and focused on enjoying my meals and refused to feel guilty when I occasionally indulged. I know that for many who are trying to lose weight, a strict plan is necessary, but I also think it's important to remember that food is not the enemy!

^ that's sounds like a nice idea, but it doesn't work for me. I have to severely restrict what I eat in order to lose weight. That means no dessert, no bread, no sugary goods etc. Basically nothing that tastes good. I mean, healthy food tastes good, but it's not heavenly if you know what I mean. If I eat restaurant food or what my family normally eats, I get fat. Very quickly I might add.

Archived