My Cat won't poop

looking_up

This is gross, unless you are a cat owner whose cat may have had the same problem you proly don't want to read further.

We heard him growling in the living room last night, usually this is an indication that my other jerk of a cat is picking on him, but nope, jerk was on top the fridge.

We watched him close and he did it again while licking his butt.

He's not very bright, and will attack his tail then hiss and yowl and bite it more because he thinks its attacking him. Now the poor guy thinks his own butt hole is attacking him.

I've coaxed him into the litter box to try about 5 times(always wants to poo when I'm cleaning out the box so I pretend and he comes running) 4 of the times he tried to go, then growled and ran off, but one time he got some out and it was runny, so its not constipation. And since its not constipation I'm living in fear of a poop explosion in the near future, seriously, how long could a human hold it in let alone a cat?

Our laundry room flooded yesterday, if he drank the water would it cause this or is it vet time? I'm convinced vets just use fear mongering to rip you off, so I only take them if I'm really scared.

Your cat may have a blockage or a hairball..Even tho his poo is runny he can still have a blockage and only the runny stuff is able to come out..I know this sounds strange but it even happens with people when they have a blockage..I have been dealing with this with my granddaughter..She has diaraha sometimes but her doctor said there is a blockage..Maybe the cat ate something he shouldnt have that is blocking things up a bit..

Sounds like a blockage.

My friends cat was doing the same thing.

Every five minutes, he would try poop but nothing would come out.

To be honest it was quite funy to watch at the time, seeing the cat go from one area of the back lawn to the other getting ready to go.

Then he started growling at him butt hole.

A couple of days later he was fine.

Hasn't done it since.

In the Dark - so you didn't have to take him to the vet? And yes, unfortunately you can't help but laugh, last night it was funny, now I'm troubled and feel guilty - poor guy.

My friend let nature take it's course and the cat unblocked itself.

The cat was like this for about three days.

Good point, doesn't hurt to call and ask for info, worst they can say is no.

I know I'm being cynical, but last summer my other cat had blood in his urine, the vet kept guilting me into more and more tests, $450 later the answer was "We don't know but I can give you an expensive prescription, and "special" food and water". I just went and bought "special" urinary tract health food at the petsmart at a fraction of the cost and he hasn't had any issues since. Still erks me, but I'd rather be mad and out a few hundred bucks then have my boy die of something that was preventable.

When my rabbits have "pooping" problems I always take them the vets. Yeah it costs a lot of money, but wouldn't you rather have a cat thats well and happy? Rather than a sick unhappy maybe even dead cat? =/

It shouldn't be about the cost of a vet visit, it should be the health of the animal.

Definitely sounds like he is constipated. It sounds ridiculous, but it's true, they get constipated. It happened to my cat twice and I thought she was going to die. They did an X-Ray and she was all backed up. They gave her an enema and some medication, probably a laxative, and she was okay. My cat gets stressed sometimes and that's what happens. Also, if you don't clean the box frequently they will hold it and eventually they'll get all backed up.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a urinary tract infection. My bf caught him trying to go outside his box, so he put down a white cutting board where he had tried to pee. He peed a little and there was blood in it. He's on antibiotics and VERY happy to have returned from the vets, but very UNHAPPY about taking meds - LOL - he's a drama queen.

• 1 month later...

ug - rolling total on my fuzzy money pit is $1200. The antibiotics didn't work, they took x-rays and didn't see stones, put him on more of the not working antibiotics.

I changed vets.

New vet did a culture and new antibiotics that smell rancid and make him foam at the mouth - maybe foam = working?

Culture grew nothing so they did an ultrasound - 3 stones, 1 lodged in the urethra. Pushed that one back into the bladder and now hes on a special diet to try to dissolve the stones as well as some nutritional powder pill I give him daily.

100% improvement after the last procedure. No more growling at his pee hole!

He's got another ultrasound in 2 weeks to check the status of the stones, I'm just praying the improvement is a sign that the stones are gone and we can avoid surgery.

This would NOT have resolved itself without a vet, as painful as it is to chip away at savings I can't even imagine what kind of pain he would have had to endure if I had done nothing.

Archived