Do you think people die when it is their time?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with ponyboy. I think a lot of people die way before their time, and not everything happens for a reason, as much as we'd like to believe so. There are things that are beyond anybody's control, even a "superior" force, I don't think there's anything planned out for anybody. But those are just my beliefs.

To me it seems that some people are literally ripped off the Earth- far before their time "should" be.....

Who knows.....

But when tragic deaths occur I HATE it when people try rationalize to comfort themselves by saying" "It was their time"....especially when it was someone so young like a child, who did not even get the chance to experience life yet. It breaks my heart and hearing that makes me mad.

For example, what reason could there possbily be for young and innocent children to suffer and die of cancer or experience the terror of a plane crash? I'll never buy it- no matter what the theory is. Their deaths are HORRIFIC and unfair.

I agree with you guys. like, my great grandma (obviously, she was old), suffering, couldnt speak even, it WAS her time i believe, but like my dad? dying on his birthday, had future plans, two teenage daughters still in high school, everything else, NOT his time. I don't care how much his family claims it was, I don't believe that bs for a second. I know they need to believe that, trust me, its HARD for me too, i was a daddys girl, but i DONT believe it was his time (which probably why it makes it harder for me, but at the same time, easier). but like someone else said, a little child being killed or just dying from a sickness. NOT their time. I don't believe people are put on this earth to do nothing but suffer, having all their loved ones suffer in the mean time, just to die at a young age? I'm sorry, but NO. I think that some deaths are just screwed up tragic things that have no real reason for them other than the fact that it's just not fair or right.

I agree with the others who say they hate it when people say "When your time is up, it's up" or "it was your time"

bullcrap... I had a friend die at 21 when he was crossing the road on a CROSSWALK and a car plowed into him and hit him... It wasn't his time.

The worst (and saddest) thing I heard was what some people said to his mum (he was an only child too)

Someone said to her, "I guess god needed another angel"

my friend's mum was furious, she said back to them, "what about your angel.. why didn't he take your angel. I wanted to keep my angel"

and good on her for saying that. Sure, people are trying to be nice.. but comments like that are just rude, insensitive and patronising.

I agree with the others who say they hate it when people say "When your time is up, it's up" or "it was your time"

bullcrap... I had a friend die at 21 when he was crossing the road on a CROSSWALK and a car plowed into him and hit him... It wasn't his time.

The worst (and saddest) thing I heard was what some people said to his mum (he was an only child too)

my friend's mum was furious, she said back to them, "what about your angel.. why didn't he take your angel. I wanted to keep my angel"

and good on her for saying that. Sure, people are trying to be nice.. but comments like that are just rude, insensitive and patronising.

I tottttallly agree. When my family says that crap to me about my dad i just think 'excuse me. this man was going to have his own business, had 2 YOUNG daughters that will now, never have their father walk them down the aisle, never see his grandkids, never have a great, loving romantic relationship that he DESERVED. tell me HOW it was his time? Not to mention, he wasn't even 40 years old.' I just think it was a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I do not believe for one second, if he wasn't where he was at the time, that he wouldnt still be alive today.

That almost made me burst into tears. Agreed, good for her.

When my ex's little brother died, the only sense I could make of it was that he WAS taken before his time, that there was no sense in it, really. We are constantly escaping accidents, our bodies constantly fighting off cancer, and other illnesses. So it makes sense that sometimes, we just won't make it out. There's no sense to it, no reason. It doesn't make it more comforting to say it was someone's time, it makes it harder. It opens up the question of "why?" and to that, there is no answer.

Everyday, thousands upon thousands of lives our taken away off of this earth. I lost my brother when he was 28 to lung cancer. He was young man who had so much going for himself and had just gotten married and had his second child.

His cancerous condition had come to a surprise to many of us as we watched him fade away over 8 months and eventually pass away. It wasn't his time. Just like a kid I once grew up with, 14, killed by gunfire. I walk through the cemetery and see the tombstones of the young and the old; wondering about their stories, their fights and how they ended up where they are.

So I don't believe that it's everyone's time. I think it's a part of the evils of life that consume our souls and take us away from our loved ones. Maybe we were just born unlucky or in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a science that we all tend to challenge

Everything is chance, and there is no proof to believe otherwise. If there was proof you would think there would be some explanation, of course there isn't. Just a bunch of dudes philisophically rationalizing what they think is real. Point is, nothing happens for a reason. What makes us, the human species, think that we are so dominate when the dinasours have outlived us for Millions of years. Million is a freaking huge number... but we think that just because we evolved our brains instead of our sight, minds, speed, etc. that we are mythical and deserve to ruin the earth for other animals... our species is the most disasterous of all, look at what we are doing to ourselves. We die just like everything else... it's not because it's a time, it's because its a fact of life. Just spread your genes before it's to late.

Everything is chance, and there is no proof to believe otherwise. If there was proof you would think there would be some explanation, of course there isn't. Just a bunch of dudes philisophically rationalizing what they think is real. Point is, nothing happens for a reason. What makes us, the human species, think that we are so dominate when the dinasours have outlived us for Millions of years. Million is a freaking huge number... but we think that just because we evolved our brains instead of our sight, minds, speed, etc. that we are mythical and deserve to ruin the earth for other animals... our species is the most disasterous of all, look at what we are doing to ourselves. We die just like everything else... it's not because it's a time, it's because its a fact of life. Just spread your genes before it's to late.

haha i like what you said. and thank you. i think us humans are very cocky and completely nuts. we need to get over ourselves and start doing better, much better, not only for ourselves and other living creatures, but for our own planet (which, is the only reason why we even exist) and quite possibly beyond.

My husband and I have lost two children in less then a year...our last one on june 6th after 12 hours of labour.. and only 13 weeks and four days in the womb.. Life does not seem fair at all.. but I still believe that God is in control and that their lives although short lived... have purpose and meaning.

We believe God planned your life before the foundation on the earth and knew the numbers and what every day intailed....

I don't think people die before they are suppose to becasue I believe that God has control over everything.

I just don't always understand why certain things happen.

It hurts but it is a part of life sadly we live in a fallen world....full of sin and death...

Life is full of difficulties, and so we often wish it could be better. Upon reflection, however, what exactly is "better"? Do we know what "better" is?

Some commentators say that children who die are taken before their time. But it is not always a bad thing to die young. Some people are rich; others are poor. Some, tall; others, short. Some, male; others, female. In the same way, some people die old, while others die young.

So many "should-have"s and "would-have"s, but things simply happen, one thing following another. Like some phantom procession in a fitful dream, like the flickering gleamer in a foamy river - things come, go, and disappear. But where does the past go anyway? Unsearchable, except perhaps in a heavenly record of deeds.

Love changes, hate changes. Into thin air, they vanish, leaving an empty coolness. Like an old woman smiling fondly, recollecting the pleasant memories of her first love - then, her face turns anxious, as her mind revisits the scene of a secret loss.

And so they say, God is here! God is now! Perhaps we're doodles on a sheet of paper. God pays the most attention to scenes of love and heartbreak, and so we remember those scenes most clearly. As for the rest, he sometimes erases them, redraws them, and smudges them in the process. So when we're old, we're left with a strange, confused jumble of memories (not coherent enough to be called stories).

I think we all have our 'time' to go. I've always thought that, but after working in the medical field and seeing sooo much death and ways of death.... it's the only way it makes sense to me. I can think of no other reason a 2 year old dies of child abuse, while a 96 year old continues to linger on on a venitlator for weeks and weeks.

I would NEVER tell someone who is suffering a loss anything like.. guess it was Ben's time.. first of all that's my belief, not theirs... AND the viewing/funeral isn't the time to bring up such things.

This thought gives me comfort, that it is ALWAYS their time. It may not be when I would like it to be, but it is their time. I wish my mother had lived much longer, and my father, and some of my friends. I have experienced the death of people close to me from the age of 12. It seems I have lost someone near and dear to me every single year since then. I've stopped questioning it. Just because it hurts me does not mean it wasn't the given time for them to die. I feel for all of you who have lost loved one, especially you, KG. I have read how much you loved you wife, and still do. Try to believe that God loved her also and there was a purpose to her life that has now been fulfilled. Think of her having a ball in Paradise and waiting patiently for you and your son join her. I lost my father at the age of 12, so I truly feel for what your son is going through. Have I found the reason he died so young? Well, it took many years, but I'm beginning to understand why. It's a private thing, but yes, I do see why it happened when it did. Good luck to you all who have lost someone dear, and may you heal quickly and never forget the love you shared with them!

First, I have to agree that I can't stand it when people try to soften the blow of suffering and grief by saying these pat "feel-good" pseudo-comforting things about being in a "better" place, or "it was their time," or related comments. It shows a gross out-of-touchness with what loss really feels like. Even people of faith can't reconcile the pain in their heart and the void in their life with some abstract notion of heaven and god, or a hereafter, much of the time -- let alone people who do not hold such belief systems.

So those kinds of things are completely obtuse and counterproductive to say.

Yet...

I think we humans live in two parallel realities simultaneously: our lives as we understand them, with our hopes and dreams, and the things and people that are precious to us. In this reality, the things that happen to us feel bad and unfair when we are hurting, and that's totally as it's supposed to be. It's what makes us human, it's what makes our world have any meaning whatsoever. We have to live with a sense of meaning and significance, and love that ties us to the specifics of our lives. Life is made to be lived, and we are all designed to thrive and live to the fullest of our life span. So loss in this "sphere" of existence is terribly tragic, and there's no "but" to that.

There is an AND, though.

The AND is that other reality, or plane of existence, that is beyond the human dimension of understanding. I am not a religious person, but some people might call this god. Scientists might call it the cosmos. And this much larger system is governed by continual creation and destruction, in a macrosense. Suns all perish at some point (just as our sun will); some collide and suddenly implode; galaxies are formed, planets and matter are reshuffled all the time. In a billion years, none of us will be alive anymore, we will have converted into energy particles and wavelengths. And meanwhile, somewhere else, another galaxy will be born with planets that may support life as we know it. If you talk to astrophysicists, many say that this is likely not the only universe that exists, even. This sounds sci fi, but it's not, it's part of quantum physics.

What does this have to do with people "going before their time"?

When I think of such a vast scale of phenomena coming and going, the randomness of the universe (which has been proven), how am I to assert that anything is stopping or starting in a "wrong" fashion? Whether it's the micro level of human life, or the macro level of this grand scheme, who am I to assert that things "should have" turned out differently? I think of it this way -- when you roll a couple of dice, there are a number of potential combinations that can come up. There are possibilities, probabilities. But when the dice come to rest and you see the score, that's all there is now. Should you have come up with a different number? Did one of the dice roll "wrong"? Maybe if you'd placed a bet on it, it's going to severely upset you and it won't feel "fair", especially if you bet 10 grand on it. Especially if you bet 1 million. A billion. Or your heart and soul. But that doesn't mean the number you have in front of you is mistaken somehow. It's just a number, one of many that could have come up.

When I think about it, it almost doesn't make sense to say any event that happened, happened before or after its time. Would we have any way of calculating what was the "proper" time for it to happen? If this was not the proper time, what WAS the proper time? Does us wanting something to be the proper time for something make it the proper time? Our wanting makes it so? That almost seems to assert we have some power and knowledge about the "way things should be" that are not powers we were given. We don't have the power to determine such things. From our standpoint, what we feel is right and wrong IS right and wrong, but on the other hand, that could be completely arbitrary, couldn't it?

This is NOT the same as saying "things happen for a reason." I'm not sure there is a "reason" for anything. "Reason" almost means that there's some significance in the story that's hiding. And I'm not sure that's there. So I won't say "things happen for a reason" -- that is more like cheap comfort to me. The jury's out for me that there is some master "plan" where this is all accounted for in some way. In the meantime, I feel skeptical about that. I do believe we are not the ultimate arbiters of what is wrong and right as events go; but I stop short of believing that some benevolent force is doing this for anyone's good.

But I do believe that if something happened (or didn't), there is no way of my proving it could have ever been otherwise, no matter how much I wish it were so. And if I can't prove it could have been otherwise, then how can I say with any conviction that it should have?

To me, life just IS. That is one thing we cannot refute. That this is the way things ARE. When we fight that, that is the core of grief.

I've slowly come to these beliefs as a result of a lifetime of loss -- not losing loved ones, but losing many other things that I felt I "should have had" the chance at.

Of course, none of this is in any way applicable to the person who is grappling with the immediate agony of separation and loss. That should never be minimized or redirected, and no one should ever ask that they detach themselves in some grandiose philosophical way, because as I said, the emotional world we live in is just as potent. For the loss of life in this world I see all the time, and particularly of those I've known in this forum and in my personal life, my heart is heavy.

A few years back I lay in hospital..my heart was in terrible pain..I was in terrible trouble. I could not breathe. Funny thing..I was not scared..I just faced the reality and then belief that it was my last night alive...

At 37 .a father with younger children..mortgaged to the hilt..no insurances whatsoever.. I lay in that bed and prayed to god a prayer of thanks for the life I had. thank you and if he was to take me then so be it.

Truth is no one is taken before their time. Our time is when it comes and gets us. Period. Is it fair? No? Does it give the family any resolve no.

What we can say is that the deceased person had so much to offer in this life and it is a huge crying shame when we lose a person who matters . Our grief of their loss can never be reconciled..

Died before their time ..no they did not. But they did have alot to offer and its terrible that they were ripped away from us for ever...RIP...

Archived