Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: signs that flirting is just friendly vs romantic interest?

  1. #1
    COtuner
    Platinum Member COtuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,964
    Gender
    Female

    signs that flirting is just friendly vs romantic interest?

    How does one tell when flirting is intended to be just friendly and playful, or if a guy has some real attraction toward you? The interactions you have when you see each other in the course of the day - is there a way to tell, or do you have to rely on an actual declaration of some interest in order to tell the difference between friendly flirting or "real" flirting?

    Not looking for ways to flirt or anything like that - just interested in what responses people have based on their own or other's experience.

  2. #2
    Sweet Venus
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    579
    Hmmm..if they mention how cute or attractive you are, I think that's a sign of romantic interest. Real attraction is asking you detailed questions about yourself,not just surface questions.

  3. #3
    COtuner
    Platinum Member COtuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,964
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Venus [Register to see the link]
    Hmmm..if they mention how cute or attractive you are, I think that's a sign of romantic interest. Real attraction is asking you detailed questions about yourself,not just surface questions.
    Ah, but don't people interested in friendship also ask detailed questions?

  4. #4
    midnightrambler
    Platinum Member midnightrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,344
    Gender
    Male
    if i am flirting it isn't just being friendly

  5. #5
    Sweet Venus
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by COtuner [Register to see the link]
    Ah, but don't people interested in friendship also ask detailed questions?
    Not neccessarily. If someone is interested in you romantically, you will KNOW it. I know I do....and like the other poster said if I'm flirting with you, it's because their is attraction. I don't just flirt for the sake of flirting.

  6. #6
    cat_lady
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    727
    Thanked
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Venus [Register to see the link]
    Hmmm..if they mention how cute or attractive you are, I think that's a sign of romantic interest. Real attraction is asking you detailed questions about yourself,not just surface questions.
    I agree with this.

    Also, if they steer or allow the conversation to on to your personal life or fish about information about your love life.

    And, the consistency is a big part. All the guys that were flirting with me with romantic intentions made it a point to do it on a regular, consistent basis. The ones with friendly intentions were on and off in their attention levels.

  7. #7
    COtuner
    Platinum Member COtuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,964
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Venus [Register to see the link]
    Not neccessarily. If someone is interested in you romantically, you will KNOW it. I know I do....and like the other poster said if I'm flirting with you, it's because their is attraction. I don't just flirt for the sake of flirting.
    See, I ask because I'm used to guy friends and coworkers being a tiny bit silly with me, not openly flirting but maybe light teasing banter in conversation just for fun. Therefore, I have learned that this does not always mean romantic interest when a guy flirts - it can just be fun or being silly

    So figuring out how to actually tell the difference with guys I don't know well is something that came up in a conversation with a friend today.

  8. #8
    COtuner
    Platinum Member COtuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,964
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_lady [Register to see the link]
    I agree with this.

    Also, if they steer or allow the conversation to on to your personal life or fish about information about your love life.

    And, the consistency is a big part. All the guys that were flirting with me with romantic intentions made it a point to do it on a regular, consistent basis. The ones with friendly intentions were on and off in their attention levels.
    Hmmm.... ok... thanks for the additional detail

  9. #9
    Cognitive_Canine
    Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    17,569
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    5
    This is how I can tell if a guy likes me.

    If you are in a group setting, move to another part of the group. If within 5 minutes he ends up next to you, he probably likes you.

    if you are walking in a group, slow down the pace. If he slows down to walk with you, he probably likes you.

    If he seems flirty with most girls, but around you he is more flirty or more shy (basically any change in comparison to other girls), he probably likes you.

    If you are in a group setting and you say that you want to go out to eat, and he immediately agrees (or any other situation of the sort), even if it isn't a popular suggestion, he probably likes you.

    If he asks for you two to be alone (maybe not even directly. It could be "hey, let's grab lunch. Hey, let's work on this together, etc) then he probably likes you.

    I've always been able to feel the "vibe" they give me. It's a feeling I get. From the way they look at me to how they say "hello". I can't really explain it but i always know if a guy likes me by his "vibe".

  10. #10
    pinkelephant
    Platinum Member pinkelephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lala land
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,681
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    6
    i can usually tell by the way they look at you. if they pay any extra attention to you compare to other girls, they like you.

  11.  

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
I need to tell him how I feel
Please refrain from commenting things such as how inappropriate / messed up this situation. If you disagree with the situation in entirety, I
is he into me or nah?
Hello, I got single 7 months ago and ended my contact with my ex for good 4 months ago, it ended very badly and my ex turned out to be a complete
How to talk to a girl in the gym
I frequently go to the gym and I have seen this one girl that I think she is pretty. It might be me but every time I turn she is looking at me or
How do I know for sure if she is into me?
Hi everyone There is a girl who I recently met trough my friend. She is my friend's gf's best friend. She is 24. It was my friend's gf's birthday
Wierd situation with a younger guy!
Hi! First of all I want to just clarify that I don't live in the US so excuse my spelling mistakes! AND I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE WHILE
She's trouble
Hey everyone! So recently split from my gf of 8 months (my decision) and kinda came to terms with the fact that my head has been turned by a girl
Crush on my friend please help!
Well, i have been friends with this guy for about a year and I've recently started to develop feelings for him. We're in the same group of friends so

Featured Threads
Controlling or very opinionated?
Hi, my name is Michael. I came here for some advice on my girlfriend and I's relationship. I am 17 and she is 16 and we've been dating for just shy
Women who prefer/only date younger men
I am dating a woman who is 9 years older than me. However, going after younger guys doesn't appear to be her pattern. In fact, the age difference
Still feels like the first day...
Long long story short.. I'll Coles notes it. I meet the love of my life at a gig I was playing, we ended up not spending a single night apart for
My partner and I have different goals, values, and thinking, should we continue?
My partner and I met a couple years ago when she moved to the city I lived in. We had shared a group of friends but never really knew each other
I'm hurt and not sure what to do ...
So ,this is my first time posting here ,but My mother always said it helps to write things down .So here it goes ! ^^ For a couple of weeks now
Who Am I and What do I Want?
Hi everyone, and thanks for reading this. At the moment I feel like I am having some sort of identity crisis, whilst not knowing what I want for
Is it wrong that I still talk to my ex boyfriend?
My ex boyfriend dumped me last week because he was pressuring me to have sex and I wasn't ready to have sex and he keeps calling and texting me every
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •