Ask For Advice

Thread: How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

YabbaDabba
    Silver Member

How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

I've been at my current job for almost seven months, but I'm planning to move (2hrs away) in late August. Now, I have another job lined up for summer which requires me to be on-site Sun-Thur evenings.

The issue I'm running into is that I need to apply for jobs in the city I'm moving to and I'm sooo tempted to just start applying to jobs now...even though I can't start until after August 18th.

On a normal basis, yeah, applying for jobs 2+ months in advance seems silly, but considering the economy...maybe I should?

Or am I seriously jumping the gun here?

Or should I just apply for jobs but clearly state that while I'm able to drive up for interviews, I won't be able to start until mid-August?

Lights
    I think it's fine to think ahead if you specify that you can't start right away.

The only problem you might run into is that I think most employers advertise when they are ACTIVELY hiring and want someone relatively soon.

Trying can't hurt though.

Alezia
    I don't think 2 months in advance is silly.
    I used to have to do that as a student and now, unless you are targeting retail, fast food etc.. type of jobs.
    The whole process of sending the resumť, waiting for the contest to close, having 1-2 interviews, signing the letter of offer, having them set you up... it usually takes me a good 2-3 months.

unabashed
    Gold Member
    I don't think it's too early to start applying. I agree that the whole process from start to finish can take a few months, at least. Plus, employers usually expect to wait at least two weeks, and often longer, because employees in any responsible position are expected to give notice--often four to eight weeks, depending upon the position. I would also suggest sending resumes to places you'd like to work, even if there is not a present opening. You never know what might open up, and the timing might work in your favor.

Top Threads
College professorís strike and may let my son withdraw
Here in Ontario there has been a college professor strike for five weeks now and they may only be forced back to work next week which will be 5 1/2
How do I know if the things people say about me are legit or just jealousy?
I am currently a teacher and I am working on a masters in ed leadership so that I can one day maybe be an administrator. I am very quiet at work and
Turning a passion into a career
I'm a power user of a number of workplace software. Years ago, I worked part time teaching evening classes in Word and Excel. As a result, people
Anxious I offended my Boss and he is not happy with me
Hello everyone, I'm posting because I feel really plagued with workplace anxiety / obsessional thoughts I know I am very good at my job and I am
Applying to 2 Jobs Internally
I've been in my position at work for 1 year. I love the company. I am in an industry I care about. However, the work itself is menial and my

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice