Thread: How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

Silver Member

How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

I've been at my current job for almost seven months, but I'm planning to move (2hrs away) in late August. Now, I have another job lined up for summer which requires me to be on-site Sun-Thur evenings.

The issue I'm running into is that I need to apply for jobs in the city I'm moving to and I'm sooo tempted to just start applying to jobs now...even though I can't start until after August 18th.

On a normal basis, yeah, applying for jobs 2+ months in advance seems silly, but considering the economy...maybe I should?

Or am I seriously jumping the gun here?

Or should I just apply for jobs but clearly state that while I'm able to drive up for interviews, I won't be able to start until mid-August?

I think it's fine to think ahead if you specify that you can't start right away.

The only problem you might run into is that I think most employers advertise when they are ACTIVELY hiring and want someone relatively soon.

Trying can't hurt though.

I don't think 2 months in advance is silly.
    I used to have to do that as a student and now, unless you are targeting retail, fast food etc.. type of jobs.
    The whole process of sending the resumé, waiting for the contest to close, having 1-2 interviews, signing the letter of offer, having them set you up... it usually takes me a good 2-3 months.

Gold Member
    I don't think it's too early to start applying. I agree that the whole process from start to finish can take a few months, at least. Plus, employers usually expect to wait at least two weeks, and often longer, because employees in any responsible position are expected to give notice--often four to eight weeks, depending upon the position. I would also suggest sending resumes to places you'd like to work, even if there is not a present opening. You never know what might open up, and the timing might work in your favor.

Top Threads
The battle of the generations....
First off, I will try not to "stir the pot" too much with the points in this post. There are forums where you can do that without any consequence
Will I need psychiatry degree in order to do family counseling?
Hi Everyone and thanks for reading. Fellow member in need of some help and advice. This is my first thread since I started here. I know that most
How to go back to school at 40
Hello. Looking for input out there. I am ready for something different. I want to go back to school and become an accountant. I don't know how I can
Relationship Entitlement? (money question)
Hello, I am at a cross roads with my relationship. I'd like to get some insight on whether or not it's my own feelings of relationship
I have seniority and my hours are getting cut
I've been at my job for 5 years. I used to love being here. Took any schedule regardless of the times and didn't mind because I just loved being

online counseling
Featured Threads
Need feedback, criticism from the men here *long*
I want to vent cuz this is bugging the hell out of me me even though I should be happy to move on. I want the perspective of men here because I feel
Should I be concernd about my ex's guy being around my son?
I was married to the girl of my dreams for 16 years until she met a guy in a cooking chatroom. The question I have is can I trust this guy with our
Struggling to figure out if she likes me or not?
I really fancy her and I still struggle with all the attraction sign things. I chose to sit at the table that I knew she'd be, because her friend
So having dinner with my ex tonight.
Recap: We dated nearly two years. I dumped him by email -- which was crappy of me, but I don't do conflict well. He was never able to say he loved
2 dates but now a new girl on the scene.
Been a while since I posted here, had a break from dating really, off all OLD and just thought I'd let fate do its thing. about a month ago I got
What are the chances that she could have gotten pregnant?
I met up with an ex from 5 years ago and in the heat of the moment we had unprotected sex. Now here are the facts: - She is 27, I'm 29. - She
Marrying someone with different level of religion understanding
Say, you're an orthodox religious man and your potential spouse has the same religion as you but with much lower level of practice and knowledge