Ask For Advice

Thread: How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

YabbaDabba
    Silver Member

How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

I've been at my current job for almost seven months, but I'm planning to move (2hrs away) in late August. Now, I have another job lined up for summer which requires me to be on-site Sun-Thur evenings.

The issue I'm running into is that I need to apply for jobs in the city I'm moving to and I'm sooo tempted to just start applying to jobs now...even though I can't start until after August 18th.

On a normal basis, yeah, applying for jobs 2+ months in advance seems silly, but considering the economy...maybe I should?

Or am I seriously jumping the gun here?

Or should I just apply for jobs but clearly state that while I'm able to drive up for interviews, I won't be able to start until mid-August?

Lights
    I think it's fine to think ahead if you specify that you can't start right away.

The only problem you might run into is that I think most employers advertise when they are ACTIVELY hiring and want someone relatively soon.

Trying can't hurt though.

Alezia
    I don't think 2 months in advance is silly.
    I used to have to do that as a student and now, unless you are targeting retail, fast food etc.. type of jobs.
    The whole process of sending the resumé, waiting for the contest to close, having 1-2 interviews, signing the letter of offer, having them set you up... it usually takes me a good 2-3 months.

unabashed
    Gold Member
    I don't think it's too early to start applying. I agree that the whole process from start to finish can take a few months, at least. Plus, employers usually expect to wait at least two weeks, and often longer, because employees in any responsible position are expected to give notice--often four to eight weeks, depending upon the position. I would also suggest sending resumes to places you'd like to work, even if there is not a present opening. You never know what might open up, and the timing might work in your favor.

Top Threads
Teenage student found my nudes
Ok guys... I'm currently heart broken. I work as a behavior therapist with teenagers and children who are either on the spectrum or have
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
At a bit of a crossroads not sure of the next move
This is something I have been wondering about for a while now. Is it time for a change? I have been self employed since 2009, when I made
Working another department
JUST TO CLARIFY I would continue to work in my current department, our hotel DOES allow working in multiple departments. I currently work in a

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice