Ask For Advice

Thread: How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

YabbaDabba
    Silver Member

How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

I've been at my current job for almost seven months, but I'm planning to move (2hrs away) in late August. Now, I have another job lined up for summer which requires me to be on-site Sun-Thur evenings.

The issue I'm running into is that I need to apply for jobs in the city I'm moving to and I'm sooo tempted to just start applying to jobs now...even though I can't start until after August 18th.

On a normal basis, yeah, applying for jobs 2+ months in advance seems silly, but considering the economy...maybe I should?

Or am I seriously jumping the gun here?

Or should I just apply for jobs but clearly state that while I'm able to drive up for interviews, I won't be able to start until mid-August?

Lights
    I think it's fine to think ahead if you specify that you can't start right away.

The only problem you might run into is that I think most employers advertise when they are ACTIVELY hiring and want someone relatively soon.

Trying can't hurt though.

Alezia
    I don't think 2 months in advance is silly.
    I used to have to do that as a student and now, unless you are targeting retail, fast food etc.. type of jobs.
    The whole process of sending the resumé, waiting for the contest to close, having 1-2 interviews, signing the letter of offer, having them set you up... it usually takes me a good 2-3 months.

unabashed
    Gold Member
    I don't think it's too early to start applying. I agree that the whole process from start to finish can take a few months, at least. Plus, employers usually expect to wait at least two weeks, and often longer, because employees in any responsible position are expected to give notice--often four to eight weeks, depending upon the position. I would also suggest sending resumes to places you'd like to work, even if there is not a present opening. You never know what might open up, and the timing might work in your favor.

Top Threads
Feel like I can't find my way
I'm no longer working since school is over. After the semester ends you can no longer work anymore. I don't have much money to move out of my college

Featured Threads
Who is in the wrong?
This person isn't really a "friend" she is 24+ years older than me. I have a feeling I'm getting taken advantage of because of my age. I started
I became engaged with a girl who calls herself a "free spirit"......need clarity
I met a wonderful and bright girl 3.5 years ago and she by far stole my heart. She is appositely beautiful, funny, intelligent and outgoing. She is
Has anyone ever totally given up on finding love?
Hello everyone! Well I been wanting to post this for a few weeks now. I don't really know how to say it or word it. But, who here has or knows
Today "should" have been our 6 year anniversary
Today was suppose to be our 6th year together. Today is the first time on this date that we are not together. We made this date a big deal
Shoud I break up because my girlfriend hooked up with my cousin in t
I'm jealous because my girlfriend had casual sex with my cousin before she met me. We've been dating for a year, she's very funny, caring, sexy
I'm in love with my co-worker 😥
My coworker and I started working together about 10 months ago. We work closely together all day just the two of us mainly. From the day he started
Aggressive Courting
There's this girl I really, really like, and would really want to be in a relationship with. Unfortunately, recently I messed up, and now I think she
Ask For Advice