I don’t care for my engagement ring

NatNat

Hey all,

I don’t mean to sound selfish but I don’t care for my engagement ring my fiancée bought me. I think the band is too thin and I wanted something a bit thicker. On top is a caret and then little diamonds all the way around. The diamonds on the bottom on my ring are popping out…what the heck is up with that? He only has insurance on the diamond in the middle and bought the ring setting from a place that was going out of business. What do we do now that there is no insurance? I wouldn’t mind getting a different band and I actually told him I wouldn’t mind getting a different band and he gets mad and told me I should be happy with what I get…so I understand where he is coming from…but I just don’t like it!! What do I do??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes only getting upset because he probably put a lot of though and time into getting it and its a big deal for any guy to propose. Criticising the ring he chose for you is probably hurting his feelings.

BUT at the same time, you have been honest. Its something you will be wearing for the rest of your life, and if you want to change it you can. This is why I'd always go looking at rings with my guy before getting engaged and point out specific ones I liked. You'd like to think, Or i would your guy would be able to know you and pick the perfect one, but they dont always get it right.

I'd save up or sell that one, and get a new one. I'd be upset because the replacement one wont have the same sentimental value but at the same time its up to you

You should just be happy you are getting married and he had enough money for a ring. Some of us dont have the possibility of even getting married. You should feel lucky.

Seriously...when my SO proposed I didn't give a hoot about the ring he got, I was so freakin excited about him proposing! I know some people will say exchange it or whatever but I wouldn't in a million years, even if I hated it. There is way too much meaning behind the orginial ring he got you. Its takes some men a lot of courage/planning to propose.

Seriously...when my SO proposed I didn't give a hoot about the ring he got, I was so freakin excited about him proposing! I know some people will say exchange it or whatever but I wouldn't in a million years, even if I hated it. There is way too much meaning behind the orginial ring he got you. Its takes some men a lot of courage/planning to propose.

Aww.. I would be so happy someone proposed I wouldnt care of it was one of those plastic trash ties...lol

What did he say about the ones that are popping out? I agree that the band shouldn't matter, besides when you wear you wedding band with it it will be thicker, but I'd be a little upset about my diamonds falliing out, not at him, just in general.

If the diamonds are falling out you should be able to take it to most any jewelry store and have them repair it for free or for very little. I agree with the others though, I understand about being upset about the diamonds coming out but geez be thankful he thought enough to even purchase you a ring.

You are excited when you first get the ring...but AFTER a few months of wearing it and you see a bunch of your girlfriends with BIGGER ROCKS and nicer rings ...You start to look at yours like its not that good and you dont even want to go around them with your ring because there ring blowes yours our of the WATER!!!

Thats a different story. If it was just because you didnt like the style/setting your being reasonable.

But this is a guy that loves you, wants to spend his life with you and went out and bought a ring for you. Its not about the ring, its about wanting to marry eachother and be together.

So what theirs are bigger ? Maybe theirs guys have more money, doesnt mean their marriages and husbands will be better.

Have you told him you don't want something that is more expensive? Perhaps he's afraid that by saying you want a new ring, you want something more that he can't afford.

You can try telling him there's something wrong with the setting if it keeps losing diamonds, and you'd like to keep the main diamond and just get a different setting that won't cost him more. Perhaps you could trade in the setting with the small diamonds for just a solitaire on a wider band with no small diamonds at all.

Marriage is about love, not the ring itself. The ring is a symbol of the love you have. It's a little superficial to want a better ring just to one-up your friends. Maybe you're not ready for marriage if you feel that's what a ring is for.

You are excited when you first get the ring...but AFTER a few months of wearing it and you see a bunch of your girlfriends with BIGGER ROCKS and nicer rings ...You start to look at yours like its not that good and you dont even want to go around them with your ring because there ring blowes yours our of the WATER!!!

Oooh. You had me kind of on your side until you said this. Now it looks like you are just focusing on the ring and whether it's better than your friends or not. You are completely missing the point of the ring and what it symbolizes. It is not a contest to see who can have the best ring.

you should be happy that you found a man who loves you and is crazy about you and wants to spend the rest of his life with you. a piece of jewlery is just a piece of jewlery! i'd rather have a guy and no ring, rather than a gorgeous ring with no guy.

It does make me jealous- Im not going to lie. But Im very upset that 5 dimonds on the back of it popped off. I feel the money he spent that should not be happening!!

well, get the ring fixed, or reinforced and talk to the jewler about options for making the diamonds more stable in there.

It does make me jealous- Im not going to lie. But Im very upset that 5 dimonds on the back of it popped off. I feel the money he spent that should not be happening!!

So you admit he spent a lot of money?

You can always take it to a jewelers to get fixed.

This is the ring he chose for you, the one he proposed to you with. Its the ring with the value.

I dont see the big deal over the size of the ring, I understand you being upset its broken. But its the marriage that is important.

I actually told him I wouldn’t mind getting a different band and he gets mad and told me I should be happy with what I get

I imagine he feels fairly hurt over the whole thing and thinks you care more about the engagement ring than about the engagement.

WOW...are you really that materalisitc?? Who cares what your friends have? I have a 1.1 ct princess cut, my friend has a 2 ct, her ring is really nice but her relationship with her SO is horrible. I value my relationship way more then any ring!

Nat nat, you bought into the hype - you (and your friends) have been hoodwinked. The ring is nothing, when you compare rings with others it means nothing. These are material things, transitory, easy to lose, easy to break. Its value is artificial.

What really matters is him and your union with him.

That diamond ring - an overpriced bit of pretty rock, hauled out of the earth by virtual slave labour overseen by rabid, greedy corporations who brainwash and manipulate shallow and wealthy people (by world standards) into measuring their status in life by what's on their finger.

That's exactly why I left Florida.

I couldn't keep up with the huge diamonds, ferraris, and perfectly fit people.

Honestly, why compare yourself to your friends?

You probably have a much more down to earth guy who loves you.

And you can still get your ring insured, just get it appraised from another jeweler.

I am sure your fiancee really loves the ring he gave you and it can easily be repaired, so take it to another jeweler and find out why the diamonds are falling out. Maybe the setting?

And a 1 carat center diamond, that's way larger than average.

I won't be a hippocrit here though, I posted on ENA about a diamond engagement ring I was given a few years ago, and I said what you had said.

I quickly learned how superficial I was being, and have since changed. I think a ring should be on sentimental value not on diamond size, band size, etc.

Hugs, Rose

Archived