How long does it take after the second interview?

Hi everyone,

I had my first interview for a company as writer three weeks ago. That interview went really well, me and the HR associate and an additional HR manager met and we ended up meeting for over an hour, we were laughing a lot, smiling and I could tell she liked me. She told me that if I was qualified the next step in the process would be the second interview with the person I would be working with directly. In the meantime she had me submit previous written work that I've done so she could show it to the manager.

Six days later she calls me for the second interview. She told me that I needed to submit another written prompt to the manager because they've narrowed down the candidates--it's between me and someone else. And they're impressed with both of us.

I turned in the written prompt--which was excellent--I had others review it.

And I met with the manager for the second interview last Thursday Morning. The only issue is that my hair didn't look the best--I woke up late and didn't have time to shower or anything. But I did have on a business suite, I brought a notebook full of questions, and we talked and laugh for over an hour as well. She was asking me all kinds of questions after she warmed up to me hobbies, etc, etc.

She even walked me to my car. I asked her at the end would there be any concern she has about my qualifications that would keep her from hiring me? And she said no. She said she was so impressed with me. And she mentioned that me and the other candidate were the best she's interviewed with in years. So in other words the other candidate did very good at the interview as well. When I asked her when I would hear about the hiring decision she said that she didn't know how the Hr process worked--but that they would have to do background checks, phone calls, etc, etc. And so she didn't know long it would take but it wouldn't take very long.

That was on Thursday...

It is now Wednesday--and excluding memorial day and the weekend it's been 5 days since that second interview.

Since the other candidate did just as well as me, then I'm a bit concerned now that I still haven't heard from the company.

Should I do follow up? Does this mean that I don't get the job?

How long does it usually take after the initial second interview to be hired?

Well in my experience, my 2nd interview was on 4/27/09 and I would have been hired today because my 3rd interview was on 5/19/09 but I already accepted another offer. So it's hard to say but just wait until Monday of next week and follow up with a email on Tuesday if you don't hear anything by Monday of next week.

Is that the normal process though--that it should take up to 7 days. I read misinformation. On some sites people were saying that they got an interview offer 3 days after the interview--or within 5 days. Most were saying that. And then others were saying it months or weeks before hearing from the company.

the thing is that the overall procedure from them calling me for the first interview to the second interview--was pretty quick.

I know that references were checked prior to my second interview nor was a background check completed--so I'm not sure if this process is going on now or not and that is why it's taking longer for me to receive a call.

I also know that this position is "new". The department just created this position and I'm not sure what the procedure is when a new position is created--how long it takes to get it started, look into the background and what not.

But I will call on Monday.

I'm just concerned that I did not get it.

It kind of sucks because she mentioned that me and the other canidate impressed her--which means that at that point we were both in the running.

Oops I meant people on other sites were saying that they were offered a job within three-five days after the second or third interview.

Most were saying that.

Others were saying it took longer.

But I guess I'm concerned because up until this point things have been very fast--not taking more than 6 days to be contacted. Today marks day six. So I'm assuming that I did not get the job but I will follow up on Monday.

Oops I meant people on other sites were saying that they were offered a job within three-five days after the second or third interview.

Most were saying that.

Others were saying it took longer.

But I guess I'm concerned because up until this point things have been very fast--not taking more than 6 days to be contacted. Today marks day six. So I'm assuming that I did not get the job but I will follow up on Monday.

Well like I said my 2nd interview was on April 27th and the company contacted me on May 17th to come in for another one. Some companies operate differently from others.

I called the hiring manger yesterday and left a message on her main line. No response. I guess I could have called her cell phone(she gave me that number) but I chose not to. The hiring manager has been sick over the last month and she just started coming back into the office this week--so I'm sure that she may just be busy, but at this point I already believe that I didn't get the position.

The HR associate--was faster at getting back to me(at least so far) so I emailed her this morning and no response from her either.

Like I said I assume that I did not get the job, which I guess is fine because when I left I wasn't even sure if that was the type of placed I wanted to work at.

Thanks for the advice though.

I called the hiring manger yesterday and left a message on her main line. No response. I guess I could have called her cell phone(she gave me that number) but I chose not to. The hiring manager has been sick over the last month and she just started coming back into the office this week--so I'm sure that she may just be busy, but at this point I already believe that I didn't get the position.

The HR associate--was faster at getting back to me(at least so far) so I emailed her this morning and no response from her either.

Like I said I assume that I did not get the job, which I guess is fine because when I left I wasn't even sure if that was the type of placed I wanted to work at.

Thanks for the advice though.

Well don;t start talking crazy. If you ddn't want to work there you wouldn't have posted this thread

In my opinion, if no one has said no to you, then there is always a chance that they are just taking awhile to get back to you. Don't discourage yourself from doubts, though I do understand where you are coming from. Let's wait until they actually do say, no, we hired someone else. I work in the art world, I assume getting a job as a writer is probably similar, meaning that lots of applicants and the final decision is probably very subjective rather than skill-based? I hope you get the job.

In my opinion, if no one has said no to you, then there is always a chance that they are just taking awhile to get back to you. Don't discourage yourself from doubts, though I do understand where you are coming from. Let's wait until they actually do say, no, we hired someone else. I work in the art world, I assume getting a job as a writer is probably similar, meaning that lots of applicants and the final decision is probably very subjective rather than skill-based? I hope you get the job.

I just don't agree how as a applicant you have to return a phone call from a employer who wants to offer you a job when you don't want it. But it's ok for the employer to never send anything if they don't want you.

She emailed me back that Friday afternoon and told me that they would know by early this week and that they would notify me of their decision sometime this week as well.

So I will know if I got it or not. I' ve already began applying at other places just in case.

I just don't agree how as a applicant you have to return a phone call from a employer who wants to offer you a job when you don't want it. But it's ok for the employer to never send anything if they don't want you.

i was not saying that it is ok for them not to reply to the applicant. i was just saying that until they actually say no to you, do not assume you did not get the job. pretty simple, right?

i am not saying that it is ok when they do not reply to the applicant. i am only saying that until they actually tell you no, do not assume you did not get the job. i think that was pretty straightforward. what the employer does, i have no desire to comment, that's not the point at all.

Archived