Theres no such thing as true friends

I've come to the conclusion that there are no such thing as friends, i've been "friends" with several people in my life and at this point I only concider a hand full to be friends, but lately, that handful has been getting smaller.

Tonight, I decided to go out for a drink with a so called firend of ten years, recently we had it out because of some stupid things he was saying (usually while drunk) and tonight, he pulled the same crap, saying "you have to livin up, and be like me, your never gonna have anyone"..LOL...this guy is 32 lives at home with his mother, and has no girl, other than some married chick that he has the odd fling with, it's pathetic, I usually don't take him seriously, because I know he's drawing his flaws onto me, and some of his other friends to, but theres only so much of that BS I can take, so I told him straight up, what the problem was and he better give it a rest, he then looks at me and makes it seem as though it's my fault, whatta loser, i've got some issues with my other handful of friends to, but it's getting to the point where I can't concider anyone a friend, it's not like i'm in high school anymore, so friends don't come along easily, I think it's better to go solo in life, with the exception of family.

i don't think you should give up on people altogether. sounds like you and this guy have drifted and maybe the friendship has run its course. maybe you just need to meet new people.

I meet new people everyday, doesn't meen we'll be friends, I just think the whole concept of friendship has run it's course, i'm haven't been feeling to social lately, I just don't have enough going on to spark interest in new "friends", things have been pretty dull lately due to work and other financial issues.

Wow! I don't believe what I'm reading! I've had the same set of friends for over 30 years. They have always been true blue and we have seen each other through thick and thin. Marriages, divorces, childbirth, deaths of partents, bankruptcies, remarriages, career changes, we have experienced all of this and more since we have been best friends. My friends are both male and female and they are all precious to me. Maybe young people today aren't as comfortable making lifelong friends as us oldsters are.

Wow! Maybe young people today aren't as comfortable making lifelong friends as us oldsters are.

YUP, things just ain't what they used to be...

I dunno what to say, it seems where not all on the same page, one doesn't work, the other takes his insecurities out on others, and another guy sorta branched off and tried another scene, the whole clubbing thing which i've completely grown out of, the other one is married so theres very little time for friends, yet I concider him to be the best of the bunch, in terms of friendship.

So I guess the motivation of maintaning friendships or even finding new ones just simply isn't there.

Wow! I don't believe what I'm reading! I've had the same set of friends for over 30 years. They have always been true blue and we have seen each other through thick and thin. Marriages, divorces, childbirth, deaths of partents, bankruptcies, remarriages, career changes, we have experienced all of this and more since we have been best friends. My friends are both male and female and they are all precious to me. Maybe young people today aren't as comfortable making lifelong friends as us oldsters are.

Ditto! lol. When I read the topic title my immediate reaction was: "NOT TRUE!!" lol.

Our group of friends go way way back. We all more or less spent our late teens together, got married at the same time, had kids at the same time, etc etc and still going strong.

It's quite sad reading threads like this. Not sure what the cause is (for lack of friends), or what the answers are.

Ditto! lol. When I read the topic title my immediate reaction was: "NOT TRUE!!" lol.

Our group of friends go way way back. We all more or less spent our late teens together, got married at the same time, had kids at the same time, etc etc and still going strong.

It's quite sad reading threads like this. Not sure what the cause is (for lack of friends), or what the answers are.

It must be a guy thing then, it's all cute n fun how girls can get married and have kids n talk about who has the bigger wedding ring and all, but I feel with guys, it's more about pride, competitiveness, and sadly jealousy, this phony friend that pulled his nonsense tonight, has real jealousy issues, it's a fact that he'll hate on a guy who gets more girls than he does, or he's so down on himself that he'll bring others down to his level to feel better about himself, these are things you tend to notice about a person once you've been "friends" for ten years.

I didn't mean to generalize when it came to making the title for this thread, if your lucky to have good people in your life then lucky for you, but not everyone does, I chose my group of friends when I was a teenager to, if I'd known they woulda turned out like this, I would've thought twice.

My best friend married, quit working, and moved to Alaska from California. We stayed close. She got religion and went to church all the time. We stayed close. She revealed to me that her father had molested her as a child. We stayed close. My other best friend got married and settled down. I stayed single and working. We stayed close. My best male friend moved halfway accross the world, took up with a stripper, and retired. We are still close friends. None of us are competitive. I have many male and female friends and all the males are still close and so are the females. We had the clique when I was in my late teens/early twenties that has never broken up, no matter what. We have all buried our parents and have now raised our children. We look back and laugh that we made it through it all. And then we cry tears of joy and some tears of pain. We have survived. We owe a lot of that to each other. I wish these kinds of friends for everyone, I really do. I know how lucky I am.

People say all kinds of stuff when drunk. I usually pretend that I didn't hear.

I don't know what true friends mean.......

I've had issues with my good friends as well, but good friends usually accept your flows and let it go at certain point.

I guess true friends should be able to be honest with each other.

If he said something offensive to you, just walk away and try talking to him when he is sober. If he is a true friend, he'll understand.

People say all kinds of stuff when drunk. I usually pretend that I didn't hear.

I don't know what true friends mean.......

I've had issues with my good friends as well, but good friends usually accept your flows and let it go at certain point.

I guess true friends should be able to be honest with each other.

If he said something offensive to you, just walk away and try talking to him when he is sober. If he is a true friend, he'll understand.

He's been told Several times before, and it's the same thing everytime he gets drunk.

don't go drinking with him!! simple!

Well ya, as a friend I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but no more, i'm not that stupid.

My point is, that friendship in general seems to fade after several years, and making new friends at my age seems impossible. Most people have a little group of friends that they always hang out with and talk to, but my little group is starting to annoy me.

I have best friends. I have one from 7th grade (so 10 years), one from 8th grade (9 years), one from my first year of college that I keep in contact with via internet, two from college within the last year or so, but I think they will be lifelong friends. And I've had several best friends move in and out of my life during particular times.

I really cherish my friendships. It's hard to make true good friends, but when you find them- they are so worth it.

I would have to agree that there is no such thing as a true friend. Eventually people get tired of trying to find "true" and "best" friends and eventually stop trying to make those new connections. In my experience I have never had a person put in as much effort into a friendship as I have. It gets tiring after a while.

• 9 years later...

Archived