Favoritism in the workplace

I am wondering what you think of this situation:

Managers and higher get to work from home pretty much whenever they want, don't have to give a reason.

Anybody lower than manager level does not get to work from home unless there is a special circumstance.

I don't think managers should be given higher privleges than non-managers. If anything, at my company, the managers are internal client facing a lot more so than non-managers so they would need to be in the office more to talk to our colleagus in other departments.

Is it right that higher ups are afforded more prvileges?

P.S. I actually am one of the managers so it's not a jealousy thing. And I don't work from home.

I am wondering what you think of this situation:

Managers and higher get to work from home pretty much whenever they want, don't have to give a reason.

Anybody lower than manager level does not get to work from home unless there is a special circumstance.

I don't think managers should be given higher privleges than non-managers. If anything, at my company, the managers are internal client facing a lot more so than non-managers so they would need to be in the office more to talk to our colleagus in other departments.

Is it right that higher ups are afforded more prvileges?

P.S. I actually am one of the managers so it's not a jealousy thing. And I don't work from home.

Well, where I work, managers also work weekends, afterhours and hold more responsibility and accountability, so I don't see it really as a privilege.

It is a matter of what the job entails. Working from home doesn't mean they are goofing off. Lots of people work from home and work well into the evening, and on weekends. The most important thing is if the work is getting done. Much interacting with colleagues these days occurs via email anyway. I think there should be a certain degree of presence of the managers so that they can interact with the people who work for them. I will say however, sometimes it is easier to get more work done at home where there are no distractions from others. I have known people to come into the office at 7:00 am so that they could get 2 hours of solid work done before they get phone calls and lots of meetings.

Favourtism in the workplace is a fact of life. I would say that getting to work at home is a minor perk compared to the massive, ridiculous bonuses and perks many CEOs get.

• 10 years later...

I know this post is very old, but as someone who formerly worked from home for 12 years, I received envy. So, I see where you're coming from. You don't have to force yourself to get up at the company's time, get ready, and rush off to commute. You don't have physical people looking over your shoulder. You don't have to deal with face-to-face office politics or people interrupting you. So in this respect, I see also that it is a privilege and a luxury to be able to work from home. You can work in your pajamas. Now, most of the posters here don't seem to agree with this, like you and I, but as someone whose worked from home, it's nice to be able to. Lots of bosses think it's necessary to give their higher-up's work they can do during the week at home, but when they have that employee at home 3 days out of the work week or during the normal work week, that breeds distrust and favoritism for those that need to be at the office every business day. I agree with you on this specific situation.

Archived