pregnancy symptoms related to baby's gender: myth?

hers

My sister is 11 weeks pregnant, too early to know the sex. We all really want a boy, so we're hopeful

She has had not one symptom thus far--no sickness, no sore breasts, and only a little tired, but no more than usual. She said sometimes she's not even sure she's pregnant!

"Everyone" (in quotes b/c who knows!) she's talked to who has had a boy before said they had no pregnancy symptoms at all, but those who have had girls have said they were sick the whole time.

Hearing this, she's convinced it'll be a boy. I'm telling her not to get all hopeful yet!

The few people I've talked to, one who's had a boy, have said they were sicks as dogs their whole pregnancy, so I think it's a myth.

To those of you who have been pregnant, did you experience a lot of symptoms despite the gender of your baby? Or none at all, also despite the gender?

One pregnancy - a boy. I had very mild morning sickness which is the traditional sign but I had cravings, food aversions (my two favorites - coffee and also cold cereal - had no interest in either until after I gave birth) and other bodily changes (meaning other than weight gain!). I will say that I had no preference for gender once I learned I was pregnant - was just thrilled to be pregnant - but once I found out (at 5 weeks) shortly thereafter I "knew" it was a boy - so much so that my husband changed his mind about finding out the gender because he figured if I "knew" he should know too, lol.

I heard all the myths and don't buy them. I will say that I carried all in front which I guess is supposed to mean a boy?

I just don't want her to get her hopes up. They will be thrilled with a girl or a boy but they hope for a boy.

I've heard pregnancy symptoms are hereditary. I don't know if my mom was ever sick with us. I'll have to remember to ask her.

I REALLY wanted a girl..........God played a trick on me.........LOL. Now I would not trade him for a billion girls. I wanted no one other than him the second I saw him. I am sure she will love whatever sex it is. I found though not to get too attached to an idea about what sex it is.

I was so grateful (understatement) to be pregnant that I couldn't imagine caring about the gender. I guess women who don't have any trouble conceiving or nay concerns that it might not happen (which was my case) can indulge more in the gender preferences.

were you disappointed when you found out you were having a boy (that is, if you found out the sex before you had him)?

No, I did not know. He would not give the money shot EVER in u/s, so I found out the minute he was born. I was disappointed for a few seconds he was not a girl, but then I held him and adored him beyond words for who he is and it no longer mattered.

Well I did have trouble conceiving, it took 4 years to conceive him, but I still wanted a girl....

In fact it took longer than that if you want to think about it cause I never took bc and we had been together almost 9 years when he was born.

Well I did have trouble conceiving, it took 4 years to conceive him, but I still wanted a girl....

I had a preference for one gender too -- until I found out I was pregnant, and then all preferences vanished. (Sorry, I don't mean to go off topic)

I had a preference for one gender too -- until I found out I was pregnant, and then all preferences vanished. (Sorry, I don't mean to go off topic)

i wonder if my sister will feel the same. i know they'll be happy either way, but i wonder if she'll feel disappointed for a second or longer or if she'll barely remember what she had asked for!

It is SOOOOOOOOOO dang exciting that day you do not care.......lol I was just so excited I was crying and laughing at the same time. Then I held him and burst into sobs and told him how beautiful he was and how much I loved him.

My little boo at a day old

image removed

I've had a boy and a girl, and both pregnancies were AWFUL! I was soooooo sick with both of them that I spent 2 months in hospital with my son, and 3 and a half months in hospital with my daughter - I couldn't keep anything down at all and was fed via IV for all those months. Pregnancies are a nightmare for me.

So, to your original question: I think symptoms related to baby's gender is a myth, lol.

With Sophie, only reason I knew I was pregnant was because I felt her start moving at 14-15 weeks. I felt normal. Didn't gain weight either, but I didn't get very far in teh pregnancy.

This pregnancy I'm 16 weeks, haven't felt a flicker. This is one lazy baby. Plus I have a belly now. Having to wear mat clothes. Even when being poked during scans, the baby refuses to play. Just waves its legs and hands then snuggles back up.

I was 100% sure Sophie was a boy, I even told the scan lady it was a boy, she would have to check again. And she was 100% sure it was a girl. Even when I gave birth to her, and they said it was a girl i was shocked, and asked if they were sure.

I'm also more tired this pregnancy, ended up with a b12 and iron deficiancy. I'm starting to get nosebleeds. And I'm so hungry all the time, and my sense of smell seems to have gotten better. =D

I had hyperemesis (daily vomiting and that awful feeling 24/7) from about 5.5 weeks until about 16 weeks and lost about 5-7 lbs in the process, and I'm having a girl. I also felt like I couldn't move off the couch for about 6 weeks -10 weeks- the fatigue was mind numbing. I have friends who had boys though and had the same thing.

My sister is 17 1/2 weeks pregnant and has had no morning sickness and other than her bump she's growing now and being a little tired no other real symptoms. She hopefully finds out the gender at her ultrasound tomorrow.

I don't buy the 'symptoms dictate the gender' myths, but I will say the minute I found out I was pregnant like Batya I also 'knew' this was going to be a girl, I felt it so strongly I called the baby 'her' when I addressed her and my hubby was like "you are making a big assumption, what if it's a boy" and laughing at me. When we found out at our 19 week ultrasound my first words were "I told you honey!"

I have a a strong feeling my sister's baby will be a boy- we'll have to see!

Hers...my whole pregnancy is pretty much posted on this site and it was hell!! lol Morning sickness from 5 weeks to the day they did the c-section. I was even throwing up DURING the c-section! lol

The one myth that did come out to be true for me was: "the more heartburn you have the more hair the baby will have". Let's just say that he was born with a full head of hair and it was already over his collar. He has ALOT of hair! lol

Also, I carried low, which some people believe is another indication of carrying a boy.

I always knew that I would have one child and it would be a boy. I've just always known it. My mom knew it too. My bf was very skeptical. So we couldnt wait to prove it to him at the 20 week u/s, and sure enough he is a very well endowed boy who was proud to show it to us at EVERY u/s!!

Archived