More people taking prescription drugs for mental illness than ever...but is it necessary?

Granted, we've come a long way from the time where institutions would lobotomize and lock up someone due to mental illness, but does anyone wonder how many cases it's really necessary to prescribe drugs?

I was listening to a Lily Allen song the other day that said "So your daughter's depressed, well get her straight on the Prozac". I know Lily Allen's not exactly the philosopher of today, but it made me think. I'm left to wonder how many of these "mental illnesses" are nothing more than people experiencing the trials of everyday life and either being too irresponsible or lazy to deal with it. They make a case for themselves, have the name of some disorder stamped on their forehead and get pills.

Maybe it's not that there's simply an increase of access to mental health care, but a decrease in people toughening up, growing up and coping with the same things others have to cope with. I know you still need to get through a doctor to get this medication, but I wonder if they're even examining all of the possibilities before writing a prescription.

I'm fully aware that there are those who seriously DO have a mental illness, and this is not directed towards those people. It's directed at the ones who sit in apathy looking for any solution other than facing their issues. I'm beginning to have this dystopian image of 50 years from now, where a kid gets sad because someone laughed at him once and the parents put him on antidepressants.

link removed

Some quotes from the article:

"They said 73 percent more adults and 50 percent more children are using drugs to treat mental illness than in 1996.

Among adults over 65, use of so-called psychotropic drugs -- which include antidepressants, antipsychotics and Alzheimer's medicines -- doubled between 1996 and 2006.

"What we generally find is there has been an increase in access to care for all populations," said Sherry Glied of Columbia University in New York, whose study appears in the journal Health Affairs.

"Mental health has become much more a part of mainstream medical care," Glied said in a telephone interview."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't try to judge other people since I have severe mental illness in my family. I believe each family has to make that difficult decision for themselves. I thank God we have the right to decide what we need medically now.

If you'd like to come visit my house and decide if we need medication, you are welcome any time.

For some it is an absolute necessity. My father's family has severe genetic mental illness, him and all his siblings are affected to varying degrees. It is a chemical disturbance. My husband and my son have another chemical imbalance. It is hard to watch the people you love the most struggle and suffer and watch their lives sometimes explode taking yours with it. You struggle with and FOR them. Cry for their suffering and yours. Such heartless diseases.Thank God there is help for it.

I don't try to judge other people since I have severe mental illness in my family. I believe each family has to make that difficult decision for themselves. I thank God we have the right to decide what we need medically now.

If you'd like to come visit my house and decide if we need medication, you are welcome any time.

That's not what I said at all, and I don't think you even read my post. I even stated that I am aware that there are people who truly need it and am not judging them. But in a society where a kid solves a bully problem with a gun or where you can't say things that you could for the last 50 years because one nationality suddenly finds it offensive - don't you even wonder if some people simply can cope on their own, but declaring a mental illness is their easy way out?

It is hard to watch the people you love the most struggle and suffer and watch their lives sometimes explode taking yours with it.

I understand this. My ex was (supposedly) bipolar, and leaving her was very hard, as I struggled with her for 15 months. Since there was no diagnosis, I wondered if it was simply immaturity or in fact a disorder? People here had told me that she needed to grow up and was acting immature, she said she thought she was bipolar. I'm saying where is the line drawn? Are doctors too quick to put people on meds that can cope fine and maybe just need a figuative kick in the butt to motivate them?

Again, there ARE people on meds or who seriously do NEED to be on meds. I understand life is hard for those people and the ones that love them. I'm not talking about those people.

It is possible that psychotropic medications are overprescribed, but psychological disorders can be tricky. You can't see them on an X-ray like a broken leg. They don't show up in blood tests. To become a psychologist, there is some pretty rigorous schooling involved, and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders is pretty clear on the diagnostic criteria for specific disorders. With proper training, I like to think that we have a decent amount of accuracy in diagnosing individuals.

I think one problem is that any regular 'old MD can prescribe antidepressants. Once my mom thought I was depressed & made a Dr appointment for me. The Dr asked me how depressed I thought I was, & I was like "I don't think I'm depressed at all!" But had I said I was, I'm sure I could've gotten a precription for Prozac right there.

I do think that dispensing psychotropic medications should be more streamlined. Also, people that receive both medications AND counseling in combination tend to fair the best.

That said, I think your comment that people are "too lazy or irresponsible to deal with life's problems" is quite ignorant. Until you walk in their shoes, experience their life, their problems, and their capacity to handle something that might even be too heavy for YOUR shoulders, who are we to judge?

The average person does not understand the mechanics of psychological counseling and treatment. People aren't expected to know what is wrong with them or how to treat it when one of their organs is malfunctioning, or when they have a brain injury or any other physiological problem that does not involve psychiatry. So why should they be expected to know when they do or do not have a psychological problem or need medication to treat it.

That's not what I said at all, and I don't think you even read my post. I even stated that I am aware that there are people who truly need it and am not judging them. But in a society where a kid solves a bully problem with a gun or where you can't say things that you could for the last 50 years because one nationality suddenly finds it offensive - don't you even wonder if some people simply can cope on their own, but declaring a mental illness is their easy way out?

People can claim things, however you need an actual MD for a diagnosis and sometimes even beyond your reg MD. What you are talking about is "situational" depression or the like. That is caused by events. It does not make it less real however. We have to take into account too emotional stability is very individual. Statistics too can be skewed to look whatever way we want them too.

I don't think there is a parent on this earth that would choose a mental illness for their child. That's pretty much a mother's worst nightmare.

I agree. I don't think anyone chooses a mental illness for their family. But when a parent spends no time with their child then claims the kid has a disorder when he/she acts out, you don't think that they ought to look at their own parenting skills before putting their kid on meds?

I agree. I don't think anyone chooses a mental illness for their family. But when a parent spends no time with their child then claims the kid has a disorder when he/she acts out, you don't think that they ought to look at their own parenting skills before putting their kid on meds?

Spending no time with a child can cause significant mental and emotional damage that MAY require more than just a kick in the backside. The parent can examine their own parental skills to hell and back but once the damage is done it is there and you have to deal with it. Once a child is a teenager in fact by age 8 your personality is pretty much cemented, so to hope that to suddenly become an outstanding parent to a teenager is somehow going to make a "dramatic" difference I think is a bit drastic. Better parenting takes a lot of work and forgiveness on both sides and can sometimes take years.

That said, I think your comment that people are "too lazy or irresponsible to deal with life's problems" is quite ignorant. Until you walk in their shoes, experience their life, their problems, and their capacity to handle something that might even be too heavy for YOUR shoulders, who are we to judge?

Thank you for your response. The above is the only thing I beg to disagree with. I have to say again - one kid gets bullied, goes home, gets a gun. Is he mentally unstable or simply never taught how to deal with problems? A man loses his job, goes home and kills his whole family. The guy next door lost his job at the same place, and takes the steps necessary to cope. Would you label the ones who resort to extremes with a mental disorder, or with a lack of coping skills?

I'm not claiming I know everything everyone's been through or have experienced it all.

Thank you for your response. The above is the only thing I beg to disagree with. I have to say again - one kid gets bullied, goes home, gets a gun. Is he mentally unstable or simply never taught how to deal with problems? A man loses his job, goes home and kills his whole family. The guy next door lost his job at the same place, and takes the steps necessary to cope. Would you label the ones who resort to extremes with a mental disorder, or with a lack of coping skills?

I'm not claiming I know everything everyone's been through or have experienced it all.

Ok, but how does giving someone a kick in the behind help lack of coping skills? Does it teach anything?? How about getting those people help for what they can not cope with? Instead of calling them lazy and irresponsible. I can tell you WIHTOUT a doubt ANYONE that kills someone, other than in a state of war has some serious mental issues. If you look into the lives of these people it is glaringly clear.

Ok, but how does giving someone a kick in the behind help lack of coping skills? Does it teach anything?? How about getting those people help for what they can not cope with? Instead of calling them lazy and irresponsible. I can tell you WIHTOUT a doubt ANYONE that kills someone, other than in a state of war has some serious mental issues. If you look into the lives of these people it is glaringly clear.

I said a figurative kick in the behind, not literally.

My brother felt he was in danger of losing his job. He fell into depression, didn't want to talk to anyone in the family except to complain about how he thought he would lose his job. Valid fear, right? What was he doing about it? Nothing. Anything my parents would suggest to him, from working extra hours to looking for another job just in case, was no good in his eyes. He had a reason why it was no use before even trying it. He just wanted to sit there and mope.

My mom finally got fed up and let him have it. Told him to get up, get outside and do something. He got out and met people, made friends. All of a sudden his outlook got better.

THAT is what I mean by a kick in the behind. How many parents do you know that would do that versus sitting there and coddling their son/daughter? You can say "Oh, poor you", but there comes a time where enough is enough. You mention getting someone help for skills they can't cope with. How do you know they can or can't if you keep telling them "That's ok, that's ok." For all you know they CAN cope, but just want the easy way out.

I understand people are born differently. People can cope with stuff I may not be able to, or vice versa. And when the time comes that I hit that brick wall, I would hope someone would put a foot in my butt to motivate me before sending me to a doctor, which brings me back to my initial argument, which I feel has been skewed to be an attack on those who genuinely have a disorder: Are more and more people getting meds they don't need?

Yeah, none of us are really all-knowing. Your questions are good to ponder. Step back & ask "are we really doing the right thing here?" But we can do so while simultaneously refraining from insulting people by saying they are too lazy to improve their life. I refuse to believe that so many people WANT to live in misery, and that is why they are taking steps to improve their situation. Maybe medication isn't always the best route; maybe counseling is. But that is up to the therapist to determine.

I've heard alot in the media lately about a husband killing his own family. I honestly cannot say what his problem is, be it coping mechanisms or a psychological disorder. It's probably a different story with each.

I know you meant a figurative one. The example of your brother is not someone who has a mental illness however. Many many parents tell their kids to get out there and get a life. You can not compair mental illness to someone that has a normal rational fear. Someone who one day goes out and kills someone did not start out like your brother. There had to be severe chemcial imbalance to begin with or some kind of significant abuse, or use of drugs.

Well being the skeptic and cynic that I am, I'll definitely agree that we as a whole society have become much more dependent on drugs, there is no doubt... and yes, it is a bit unnerving.

I've lived this myself, and sure.. it makes me somewhat uncomfortable. Doctors know that people come to them expecting a prescription I think, generally speaking, and that is what they get. I have epilepsy myself, and I need the one med I take... but before I was diagnosed with my neurological disorder, it was just naturally assumed that my symptoms were caused by a mental illness. Why? Because that is much more "trendy" these days, and the medications for those types of disorders are pushed much much harder. I was given anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, stimulants... all sorts of stuff, since my early seizure symptoms seemed, well... psychotic in origin I guess. Then finally, one of the anti-depressants in my system, as it turned out, LOWERED my seizure threshold, and down I went in full convulsions, at a wedding no less. Needless to say, the route of my diagnostic path changed from that point on.

So yes, I think the tendency to jump to the psychotropic drugs does happen very fast, and that can be very scary, since the side effects aren't always pretty and they can be both difficult to adjust to and come off of, therefore it is a decision I don't think anyone should take very lightly.

All of that said however, I DO think they can save lives, and I DO think they are definitely a necessary help for some. A long time ago they simply weren't an option, and mental illness was much more taboo. Back in the 50s my mother's family lived under such a shadow I know, and my grandmother struggled with it until it finally ended her life, leaving a husband and 8 children behind. If she'd had the help and medication back then that is available today, perhaps that tragedy wouldn't have happened. So of course I can see its place.

It is a case by case scenario, and doctors need to be responsible.

Pharmaceutical companies spend a ton of money on marketing... more than they do on research. Why would they even need to market drugs?! Marketing is to create a market... dun dun dunnn.

They're evil!

If you did your own research, you'd be surprise.

This is true too. They are there to make money. That being said there is a number of the population that require medication. A lot of people could benefit from therapy however before they go straight to medication.

THANK you. I think you're the only one who has gotten what I'm saying. I believe meds can help as well, but I also believe that there is becoming way too much of a dependence on drugs.

And Mutley, the pot and alcohol are perfect examples as well of people who just don't want to cope. I bring up meds because the news story mentioned the jump in the use of meds.

In no way am I trying to say that the ones who are truly suffering are "faking it" or don't need it, but the jump in numbers makes me wonder what the reasons truly are.

I know you meant a figurative one. The example of your brother is not someone who has a mental illness however. Many many parents tell their kids to get out there and get a life. You can not compair mental illness to someone that has a normal rational fear. Someone who one day goes out and kills someone did not start out like your brother. There had to be severe chemcial imbalance to begin with or some kind of significant abuse, or use of drugs.

Guns, whatever...the underlying point is people who can't come to terms with your average life issues and don't bother to even try. People who run from or avoid their problems instead of trying to deal with them. Is that a mental illness? Are you going to give up and say "Just medicate them"? Would you put this person on a form of medication that could be more harmful to them than helpful because of the fact that they don't need it?

there are a percentage of people on prescription drugs that don't need them.

This is what I'm getting at. Not invalidating the argument that many people DO need them. Do you feel that the rise in numbers could relate to more and more people getting them that don't need them?

Sometimes I wonder if it's a case of the economy gone sour and people going through hard times. WERE that the case, does it mean that these people were all mentally ill? I couldn't believe so.

My MDs always try and prescribe anti-anxiety or anti-depressants when they can't figure out what's wrong with me. I get very angry at them and then they want to prescribe something for anger. I'm in perimenopause, my hormones are royally effed up - I don't need an anti-depressant, I need to regulate my hormones in some natural way. But Prozac is apparently less of a liability to prescribe that to figure out how to compound something natural, or run tests to figure out what's actually off kilter.

A manager in my company told me to get a prescription for Xanax because I didn't sleep the night before layoffs happened. Apparently that was a mental problem instead of fear of losing my income.

I was told to take Prozac when I grew very tired. I refused. Found out a year later I had almost no iron left in my body and THAT'S why I was tired.

So yes, I could cite several more examples to back up the OP's point. Interestingly enough, when I developed PTSD, no psychologist or counselor told me to take any pills. They simply put me into a couple different types of therapy and worked through the pain naturally through dietary changes, stress management and accepting the fact that I had some bad sh** to work through.

So I'd say thumbs up to the OP.

Archived