A child that does not say thank-you for gifts

Seraphim

What would you do with this child? The gift was given to them for Easter and it was given by someone who has no relationship to or with the child, but gave it out of kindness. Upon calling the giver the child outright refused to say thank-you, what would you do?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would you do with this child? The gift was given to them for Easter and it was given by someone who has no relationship to or with the child, but gave it out of kindness. Upon calling the giver the child outright refused to say thank-you, what would you do?

I'd be annoyed, lol. Happens a lot to me - I give birthday and Christmas presents to various friends' children (no relation to me, obviously), and I do get hacked off when the little darlings don't say thank you.

I tend to stop sending presents if they never acknowledge it, but it takes a couple of years. I think it's the parents' fault.

Hey, though - if it's an Easter present, they've only had one day to reply! They should have a few weeks to write thank you.

I used to always have to write thank you letters - it's a habit that's stuck with me as an adult, I always send thank you cards. It's quite rare though, lol

I'd be annoyed, lol. Happens a lot to me - I give birthday and Christmas presents to various friends' children (no relation to me, obviously), and I do get hacked off when the little darlings don't say thank you.

I tend to stop sending presents if they never acknowledge it, but it takes a couple of years. I think it's the parents' fault.

Hey, though - if it's an Easter present, they've only had one day to reply! They should have a few weeks to write thank you.

I used to always have to write thank you letters - it's a habit that's stuck with me as an adult, I always send thank you cards. It's quite rare though, lol

Maybe suggest writing a card that says thank you.

I mean, I can understand the need for the thank you, but the child may not have been comfortable in doing so? [Just a guess or assumption..]

Explain that the gift was given and its polite to say thank you, and suggest writing a card of thanks instead. Maybe the pressure to speak verbally face to face was uncomfortable or awkward and this can still get the point accross in a more comfortable manner?

The child is actually smart. Already knows to refuse gifts from strangers!

How old is the child?

If he/she's still 3-4 years old I don't think this is an "issue", and the gift-giver will not care. The child is simply showing high standards and being honest. My brother (10+ years age gap) used to be like this as well.

Until the child recognizes the fact that it was an act of kindness (may require a lot of time! I needed more than a decade, but was a good actor) one way may be to tell him/her to play pretend, e.g. say "thank you!" as if it was a game!

That Child my dearie, would be announcing a cold day in hell before they announced me giving them another gift! This would not change until this child could show some appreciation.

If you are the parent than this is going to sound harsh but my Father did this to my siblings and I and boy did it do the trick.

It was Christmas. We were very poor. Dad used almost his entire paycheck to buy four children anything he could that he thought we needed. Socks, New Shoes, Book Bags for school and more. We must have lost our little minds because we had the nerve to complain that we didn't get the Sega we wanted. Well Daddy-o and Mommy-0 didn't appreciate this and the next morning everything we were bought...was taken up and given to the homeless shelter.

Oh the agony! Oh the lesson and Oh the last year any of us ever complained about a gift someone else bought us with their hard earned money!

Good luck.

Depending on this childs age...at some point the child has to take some responsibility for his actions. The parents can't always be blamed for the childs actions.

For example...I know a boy who is 16. The father has tried everything. This boy is just headed for hardtimes. He is stubborn, ungrateful and just obnoxious. He's been in and out of Juvi and its just gotten to the point to where the Father wants to send him to a boot camp.

This kid was given a wonderful Christmas Gift...A CAR...guess what....not only was there no appreciation, not even a "hey thanks Dad" but he wrecked the car two weeks later from being drunk after stealing liquor from his fathers Cabinet.

I know the father and I know he's running thin on trying. I feel for him. He's trying everything and some Children just can't be told what to do.

Now if he was to jack this boy up and give him some tough love ...the boy could call the police and flip it on the father. Wonderful Society we have now where children only have to make one phone call and in some ways can control the parents disipline with the threat of "I'll scream abuse".

I know I know..I digress! Just wanted to share.

iunno, I wouldn't stop giving someone I cared about a gift because they didn't say thankyou. That sort of ruins the point of giving a gift.

The parents made the decision the child will not receive gifts if they can not say thank-you. They were raised to say thank-you and more than know better and the couple has no need to buy the child gifts but just do.

what do you mean refuse? as in, the child's parents told it to say thank you and he/she refused?

if so, i think it has nothing to do with the gift or the people iving the gift but the child him/herself. she either feels that it's unjust to make her say thank you or w/e.

if she just simply didn't say thank you, it probably slipped her mind.

what do you mean refuse? as in, the child's parents told it to say thank you and he/she refused?

if so, i think it has nothing to do with the gift or the people iving the gift but the child him/herself. she either feels that it's unjust to make her say thank you or w/e.

if she just simply didn't say thank you, it probably slipped her mind.

The phone call was SPECIFICALLY to say thank-you, and the child outright refused to do it.

Archived