Blighted ovum pregnancy

hers

My sister is 9 weeks pregnant. She's had quite a few ultrasounds already b/c they can't really find anything although she's pregnant. Today she had another u/s and the doctor said there's a chance of a blighted ovum, which is a sac with no embryo, meaning she'll miscarry.

Does anyone have any words of hope to offer? Is there a high chance she'll miscarry? Will the baby be ok? IS there a baby? I don't know anything about this. I'm super worried

My cousin's wife is about 2 weeks behind my sister and they heard the baby's heartbeat already. They can't even really see anything but the sac in my sister's belly. Is this all normal? Does it change from woman to woman?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if there is a sac and no embryo that means there is no baby. The body just thinks its pregnant. So when they say she will miscarry, they don't mean the baby as there is no baby. Just the sac the baby should be in.

It will be a great shame if this is the case, but she herself should not in any real danger with today's medical care.

I'm not 100% on this but I do know that someone I work with had the same thing very recently. I'm pretty sure when there's a sac but no embryo, that means there's no baby

I hope it's not that, fingers crossed for your sister but as far as I know embryo = baby so if there's no baby developing then the sac is pointless by itself.

Chance of hope though - a friend of mine had a lot of bleeding with her first pregnancy and they thought she'd developed this as well, but she ended up having a perfectly healthy little boy. So they don't always get it right first time

At 9 weeks they can clearly see a baby on the sonogram. I am sorry, but if there is no baby they can see, I would not hold out much hope. I am sooo sorry. I do not want to give you any false hope but it does not sound good. Having had 3 miscarriages I know how utterly devistating it is. Be there to hold her and talk to her when she needs it.

Right, I get that no embryo=no baby, but is there always a chance of a blighted ovum this early in the pregnancy? I was reading online that a heartbeat occurs within 5 weeks of pregnancy (22 days past fertilization, if that' the word, ha), but it can't really be heard fully without special instruments till about 12 weeks but it's possible if the placement is just right to hear it as early as 8 weeks.

Also, how soon can you see a baby and not just a sac in a pregnancy?

So at 9 weeks there should very obviously be a baby?

She's going next week for another u/s. What are teh chances they'll see something then?

I found this online, and it seems hopeful, but I just don't know.

link removed

So at 9 weeks there should very obviously be a baby?

She's going next week for another u/s. What are teh chances they'll see something then?

I found this online, and it seems hopeful, but I just don't know.

link removed

Absolutely you would see a baby. Mine were jumping and flipping and going nuts in there.......I will see if I can find my 9 week scan.

image removed

Absolutely you would see a baby. Mine were jumping and flipping and going nuts in there.......I will see if I can find my 9 week scan.

image removed

Thanks, Vic. I can't tell anything in your u/s pic though, juust b/c i don't know how to look at them. I wonder what my sister's looks like.

Yes, some women stay pregnant and have little to no symptoms. If she is loosing this baby she will have very little symptoms as well. But I know many woman that felt great while pregnant. My last pregnancy I had very little if at all morning sickness. He did not die for that reason.....

A blighted ovum means that something was wrong genetically and so the baby died. It does not make anyone feel one bit better but most pregnacies end up in a chemical or miscarriage, most before you know you are pregnant which is a blessing. It is so devistating to find out after. HUge hugs to your sister and her husband and you.

My sister is 9 weeks pregnant. She's had quite a few ultrasounds already b/c they can't really find anything although she's pregnant. Today she had another u/s and the doctor said there's a chance of a blighted ovum, which is a sac with no embryo, meaning she'll miscarry.

Does anyone have any words of hope to offer? Is there a high chance she'll miscarry? Will the baby be ok? IS there a baby? I don't know anything about this. I'm super worried

My cousin's wife is about 2 weeks behind my sister and they heard the baby's heartbeat already. They can't even really see anything but the sac in my sister's belly. Is this all normal? Does it change from woman to woman?

A fetal pole and heartbeat are usually detectable by 6 weeks and by 9 weeks should definitely be there. If they can't see anything chances are there is no viable embryo.

I'm sorry, your sister is in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you hope. It makes me want to cry. They want to be parents badly and I so very much want to be an auntie.

They seem so calm about it. I don't know why I seem sadder than they are. Maybe they're better at hiding it. She said they're just trying to be hopeful.

No one wants to give up that hope I know how hard it is. Most women go on to have future pregnancies with no issues. It in no way replaces this baby, but they WILL be parents Hers to another beautiful baby. I just KNOW it. It might not have hit them yet. It did not really HIT me until a week after my baby was gone. They will be parents sweetie.......big hugs and prayers.

Is miscarraige hereditary? My grandma had 10 over her life time and had 6 babies too. She had miscarraiges and then a baby, couple more miscarriages and then another baby. Is it hereditary?

It depends upon the cause for miscarriage, if it is a structural issue, hormonal as in a hormone issue with the mother, chromosonal defects, infection almost anything. A large number of pregnancies end up in miscarriage for whatever reason, we are fragile creatures. As far as I know Hers they will not investigate the reason for miscarriage unless you have 3 in row, then they will test the baby, do blood work and testing on the parents. For me it is structural, and because of that it is almost impossible to concieve and almost impossible to carry them.

My friend said her sister in law was told she'd have a blighted ovum miscarraiage and to do a D and C but she said she wanted to have a natural miscarraige if that was what was to happen but she ended up carrying to term and having a healthy baby. I don't know how far along she was though when she was told that.

My friend said her sister in law was told she'd have a blighted ovum miscarraiage and to do a D and C but she said she wanted to have a natural miscarraige if that was what was to happen but she ended up carrying to term and having a healthy baby. I don't know how far along she was though when she was told that.

There are miracles in everything........however development of a embyro and fetus is pretty standard. What I mean is you usually see a heart beat at a certain time .........they develop their organs at a certain time, that kind of thing.....but not where you do not see the baby by 9 weeks. There will be small differences in size of the baby due to ovulation and implantation time, genetics ect.......but nothing dramatic like in weeks of time. By now it is no longer an embyro but a fetus. By now it should be the size of a strawberry, very noticeable....

link removed

what they look like at that age

Archived