Dog panting..alittle worried

Ac143

Hey guys/gals,

So my 2yr old male shih tzu has has been panting alot a few nights now. At first I wasn't too concerned because it usually stopped before we fell asleep but last night was horrible. I felt so bad for him & didnt know what to do. He usually falls asleep right between me & my SO's head on the pillow lol. But last night he was at the edge of the bed, panting & just sitting there looking around, when we tried to get him to come sleep with us he quickly ran away back to the edge of the bed. He was panting so much it was shaky the bed. I couldn't fall asleep & just tried to comfort him, eventually I went into another room with him so at least my SO could get some sleep. Finally around 4am he stopped & fell asleep. I was so exhausted this morning...

I googled some of the causes and one of them was pain and obviously heat but he definitely couldn't be hot, we have our ceiling fan on every night. He's not over weight, he's about 15lbs & get a lot of exercise. He is neutered. He is fine during the day & doesn't pant. Anyone experience this before?

I am calling the vet to get a check up, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice in the meantime.

Thanks!

My parents' dog gets like this when she has anxiety. Have there been any changes? Comet freaks out when the smoke detector beeps (battery low or whatever), or when my dad's PDA alarms go off. She starts panting REALLY heavily and it will sometimes last for a few hours even if the noise has been shut off.

My parents' dog gets like this when she has anxiety. Have there been any changes? Comet freaks out when the smoke detector beeps (battery low or whatever), or when my dad's PDA alarms go off. She starts panting REALLY heavily and it will sometimes last for a few hours even if the noise has been shut off.

Hmmm I can't think of any changes that would give him aniexty. He's not afraid of thunderstorms or loud noises, he could sleep right thru our security system going off (we sometimes forget to shut it off before opening the door in the morning lol)

He has been licking his sides lately too but I dont see anything there...this dog definitely needs a check up

Even if the room isn't hot to you it could very well be hot for him. That is about the only thing I can really think of for him to be panting at night.

I thought of that too, but we keep the temp pretty regular & he just got a grooming not too long ago so his hair is short. IDK doesnt seem like it was from heat, my other dog has longer hair & was perfectly fine.

• 6 years later...

My 6yr old female shih Tzu is absolutely fine during the day, no issues whatsoever but when it comes to going to bed its a different matter. She could be fast asleep out cold but the moment she knows we are going to bed she freaks out. To start with I used to leave her downstairs but when all lights where out and all gone to bed she would scratch the doors and bark to be let upstairs. We then started to take her upstairs with us to bed but once the lights went out the panting and shivering started and goes on for hours. We have tried her sleeping in everyone's bedrooms and the same happens. I've tried different routines, lights on/off and pheromone products and nothing has worked. This has been going on for about 2yrs now and I hate it!!!!

Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

Just letting you know that this thread is 6 years old and the OP hasn't been back on ENA for 4 years and probably won't see your post. It would be a good idea to start your own thread if you are seeking help/advice on the subject. Thanks.

Archived