"your baby is ugly"

hers

I'm just curious. My sister is pregnant and I'd like to think they'll have the most gorgeous kid ever, but I may be prematurely biased.

Being a parent, you probably think your kid is gorgeous!! What if someone thinks otherwise? What if you are told time and again taht your baby is cute and then you find out later they were just being nice or saving face with you and that they, in fact, think your baby is ugly?

How would you react? Would you be offended? Not believe them? De-friend them? Yell at them? Say "Yeah, he is funky looking, isn't he?"?

I hope no one thinks my neice or nephew is ugly! I have no idea how I'd react!! And it's not even my kid! haha

(This is all hypothetically speaking of course, as I have no kids)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like that's just a really insensitive thing for a friend/person to say to your face. I don't have any kids, but I would be offended. I'm not sure what I would say if it was behind my back, but to my face, i might punch them. behind my back, i'm not sure there is too much you can do unless they are saying some really nasty things.

I feel like that's just a really insensitive thing for a friend/person to say to your face. I don't have any kids, but I would be offended. I'm not sure what I would say if it was behind my back, but to my face, i might punch them. behind my back, i'm not sure there is too much you can do unless they are saying some really nasty things.

Oh no doubt it's insensitive. I'm speaking more of if they tell you it's cute and then you find out they don't thinkt aht.

My friend and I were having this conversation the other day. She said her boyfriend's best friend has a kid and he's just not an attractive baby (about a year old). She was thinking "Wow, what a funky baby" but didn't say anything of course. But the parent put her on the spot and said "Isn't he so handsome?" and she said she wasn't sure what to do and just said he was a cute baby.

I'm sure I'd react the same way. I feel evil for talking about babies like this!

Being a parent, you probably think your kid is gorgeous!!

I know she is! But yes, I consider the possibility that I think she is cuter than she is due to bias... but I cannot help but conclude that she is absolutely a gorgeous baby!

What if someone thinks otherwise?

I doubt I would know, but if I did find out they thought that I would think they are crazy... or jealous.

What if you are told time and again taht your baby is cute and then you find out later they were just being nice or saving face with you and that they, in fact, think your baby is ugly?

Again, I don't see how I would learn of this, but if I did... I guess I would not be offended they lied, because it is a white lie after all. Who would actually tell someone their baby is ugly?

My fiancee's cousin has a baby that is ugly, and I don't think babies are very ugly at all. I think they are the cutest things evah! But unfortunately he is a ugly one. He's very cute in the sense that he is smiling all the time and he appears to be happy, but in the looks department... ouch.

A lot of people talk about it behind their back, but that is the way of things. I suppose it is possible to find out about what people think but I would wager most people would do their best to keep their opinion secret from the actual parents.

How would you react? Would you be offended? Not believe them? De-friend them? Yell that them? Say "Yeah, he is funky looking, isn't he?"?

Who knows? I don't think I would do too much. You cannot control the world and you cannot control other people. That's just something you have to come to terms with when you grow up to be an adult. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's that.

Would I be happy about it? No. I would bet I would be fairly offended, and it may take some time and space to get over it, but I would hope I would be adult enough to get over it with a shrug of my shoulders.

Besides, who could think she is ugly?

image removed

I hope no one thinks my neice or nephew is ugly!

Looks aren't the most important thing. Of course no one wants an ugly baby, but I think it is more important to have a good healthy baby. You want that child to not only be physically healthy but to grow to be mentally healthy too. I know a lot of plain adults that have their sh_t together and that to me is more impressive than looks.

Don't worry too much about the baby, I am sure they will be fine.

It can be said without being meant as rude. For instance, when my niece was born, my Dad said she looked like an alien. And she kinda did...but it wasn't meant in a mean way at all - more of a joking way. After a few weeks, she stopped looking like an alien and is a gorgeous baby girl.

My son is cute.. Of course I think that, but i'm sure there are people who think that he is less than cute. However, to me their opinion doesn't matter. I'd rather people not say anything at all than to lie and say "oh how cute!" . There have been quite a few children I have seen where they just look.. weird.. and I just find something to compliment about them, LOL. I know it may seem mean but I mean lets all be honest not all kids are gorgeous creatures.

Why does Elaine from Seinfeld enter my mind on this thread? LOL Hers, i am sure the baby will be 'breathtaking" !! LOL (if you get my seinfeld reference you will LOL)

Seriously, even tho i am not really a baby "person" i could never imagine telling ANy parent their baby is ugly. I'd refrain from saying anything if i felt that strongly.

And for the record tho, Diggity's lil gal is one of the cutest babies i've seen in a while. She is a cutie cupie! LOL I dont even gush on babies often but she is so precious!

Ok, as parents, do you expect people to say "he/she is so cute!"? I mean, they're babies, so surely that's going to come regardless, but is it expected?

And are there ever days you look at your kid and think "Wow, he/she is less than attractive today"? B/c sometimes, I look at Leeluu (my dog, who is the love of my life and very much my child, I don't care what you say!) and think "You are not as cute sometimes as I like to think" but then when I see other boxers, I think "You are SO not as cute as my girl is".

there is nothing more simultaneously horrible and fascinating than an ugly baby. and it's AWESOME when the parents don't know or refuse to acknowledge it. i have seen some real gross ones. and they usually don't improve...at least not in the first several years from what i've seen.

send me the picture of your niece/nephew when it gets here. i'll give you an honest opinion.

there is nothing more simultaneously horrible and fascinating than an ugly baby.

Man, that's the best thing ever.

Once, I was in the park with a dog, and a woman starts talking to me and we share dog stories. She has her son with her, and he was about 3. He was SOOO funky looking, oh man. I can't even remember b/c I blocked his face out of my mind. I kept looking at him though. I couldn't stop staring!! I hope she couldn't read my mind...

Ok, as parents, do you expect people to say "he/she is so cute!"? I mean, they're babies, so surely that's going to come regardless, but is it expected?

And are there ever days you look at your kid and think "Wow, he/she is less than attractive today"? B/c sometimes, I look at Leeluu (my dog, who is the love of my life and very much my child, I don't care what you say!) and think "You are not as cute sometimes as I like to think" but then when I see other boxers, I think "You are SO not as cute as my girl is".

My son , just like any other human being has his days where he is the cutest thing and then some days he has a bad hair day or just a bad day like the rest of us and he isn't 100% perfect. As a parent I am not afraid to admit that. Same with him in pictures, more often than not my son is gorgeous in pics but there are some pics I am just like OH no! But to me, my son is and always will be the cutest thing but I don't expect others to feel the same way or tell me my son is cute.

Well, I have yet to see a newborn who is actually "cute" or "pretty". I think all newborns look like baby gorillas. (and I LOVE babies!) But they don't get cute until after 5 months or so. And even then...some remain weird looking lol. So, if I ever had a baby, I wouldn't expect anybody to say he/she is gorgeous cause I'd think it was a lie lol. But of course, it's very rude and insensitive to actually say he/she's ugly. Of course I would be offended, who wouldn't? It's one thing to think it and another to actually say it. I wouldn't want anybody to lie, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all

Well, I have yet to see a newborn who is actually "cute" or "pretty". I think all newborns look like baby gorillas. (and I LOVE babies!) But they don't get cute until after 5 months or so. And even then...some remain weird looking lol.

My friend the other day told me "Don't expect your sister's kid to be cute till it's about 8 months old!"

While some babies are more cute than others, i can't say i have ever thought to myself 'what an ugly baby". Maybe it is the mom in me, but i have never seen one that i had to stop myself from saying 'that kid is ugly". But naturally some are cuter than others, its a gimmie. LOL

even if a baby does not look the most pretty...just the way they act can be very cute! i think babies only look bad when they wail and cry. i haven't really seen many "ugly" babies. some not so beautiful, but it didn't affect them much because they usually grew into cute kids anyhow. don't worry about it! if the parents were cute babies i'm sure the baby will be too.

My friend the other day told me "Don't expect your sister's kid to be cute till it's about 8 months old!"

Yeah, before that they look so deformed and disproportional and wrinkled. Nothing pretty about them! My boyfriend's nephew was born recently and he showed me some pictures of him at the hospital. I saw them and was like, "ummmm...he's cute." I thought he was really ugly lol- he had the biggest nose and a squashed face. But of course I wasn't going to say that. lol.

even if a baby does not look the most pretty...just the way they act can be very cute! i think babies only look bad when they wail and cry. i haven't really seen many "ugly" babies. some not so beautiful' date=' but it didn't affect them much because they usually grew into cute kids anyhow. don't worry about it! if the parents were cute babies i'm sure the baby will be too.[/quote']

Oh yeah, omg the little baby noises they make melt me, they're sooo cute!

My best friend in the world, friends for 22 years now, had a baby 3 years back. She had hair on her forehead when she was born. I wasn't sure if her eyebrows were the size of her forehead or if her hair reached her eyebrows. I wasn't sure. It was the weirdest thing ever and I thought OH MY GOD. But it was my best friend in the world so of course I loved the baby from the second I saw it. Now the baby is 3 and she's so gorgeous that I could stare at her all day. No hair on her forehead at all. I'm glad the hair disappeared.

My other firend's baby is 8 months now. She's just gorgeous! Biggest and brightest eyes ever and cute little dimples. When I met her, she was a month old. She was shedding like a snake--skin peeling everywhere (apparently that's normal?). I was like, i hope this kid gets cute one day. God, she's adorable now.

But I'm not just talking about newborns. Newborns are weird looking to me (I've seen a couple that havne't been!! Like yellowcal--your baby looked normal! haha), but I'm talking when they get a little older, onec they start losing their newborn looks.

Archived