Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

The BellaDonna, Get off Your Ass Journal

BellaDonna

I used to be someone that worked out 5 times a week. I was heavy into weight training, and did the Body For Life program and Ab Bootcamp. Every day I started my morning with exercise. I weighed in and checked my bodyfat percentage weekly.

That all changed when I got pregnant in November 2006. I had to tone down my workouts. I still did swimming about 3 times a week.

Once I had my son in August 2007 I got caught up in major sleep deprivation and post-partum depression. Exercise was the LAST thing on my mind.

Now my son is 19 months old and I need to lose 20 pounds and get back into shape. I've been in this fitness rut long enough.

So I am making a journal here to be held accountable.

I know I will never be the fitness guru I once was, with 1 hour workoputs daily and diamond shaped abs- my lifestyle just does not allow for it right now with working full time, renovating a new house, and taking care of a toddler.

BUT- I can be more healthy and physcially active. So I want to set realistic fitness goals. I need to get off my ass and moving.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow's plan: After breakfast I am going to take a 1 hour brisk walk with my son, using his baby jogger.

Most of the exercise I will do will have to be WITH him. It will be a challenge.

The one time I tried to put on my Bellydancing exercise DVD- he cried and pulled on me so apparently he didn't approve of that workout.

I think walking and eventually, running, will be my best bet for some exercise, along with freeweights andcrunches in the living room, while he plays.

We went for a one hour walk this morning. It felt good-

The are a few gyms nearby.... But I have never been one for the gym. I have weights and a treadmill and a lot of workout DVD's. I like to work out at home- the problem is finding the time.

I'll have to bypass doing some chores while he naps, and instead make exercising a priority.

I think with a youngster, the trick is to turn your daily tasks into a bit more active "exercices" ex: dance while cleaning the dishes, park a bit further away from the grocery store etc... =) It won't be as good as a 1 hour workout at the gym but anything counts when you are busy!

I've been keeping up with the walking. It was ugly and rainy on Saturday so I did some core strenghening exercises on the floor while my son played. On Sunday it was beautiful so I was able to take a long walk with my son.

Today I did a 45 minute bellydancing workout DVD. I forgot how much I actually like bellydancing.

Feeling good today.

• 1 month later...

So far, so good. It's been a month- I haven't been perfect about exercising, but I've been fitting it in whenever I can. Walking seems to be the most realistic thing for me to do when I have my son with me, so I'm sticking with that.

I've also cut out eating after 6pm and banned junkfood. At my last doctor's appointment I was down 2 pounds, and that's pretty good, considering that it was on their evil scale. I still have a way to go before I get back to the old, pre-baby me. 2 down, 18 to go.

Good job Bella! The hardest part is sticking with the plan. My pattern is that I'll be perfect for a few weeks, lose 5 pounds, and then quit.

With summer coming it'll be easier to get out more too. And it's the season where healthy food tastes delicious - real tomatoes and strawberries instead of the watery garbage they try to pass off as fruits and vegetables in the winter. Keep it up!

I haven't made an effort to exercise in over a week because I've been sick. I have a horrible sinus/sore throat/ hacking cough combination that seems to be the result of allergies because it is "triggered" when I open a window or go outside. I haven't been sleeping good at night.

I've been taking Claritan D which helps a little, and using a Saline nose rinse.

I have still been eating healthy, but I don't have much of an appetite.

I decided a couple of days ago to try a "total body cleanse" that works on the liver, kidneys, and digestive system and includes probiotics. link removed

I feel like my immune system has gone to Hell since I had a baby. I never used to get sick before and I never had allergies before. It's one of those added bonuses of motherhood. Apparently some women develop NEW allergies after having a kid. yay

Good thing my kid is so cute!

I feel like my immune system has gone to Hell since I had a baby. I never used to get sick before and I never had allergies before. It's one of those added bonuses of motherhood. Apparently some women develop NEW allergies after having a kid. yay

You think it's bad now - wait until they get into school. I swear elementary schools are actually secret labs to develop germ warfare. When all 3 of mine were at the same school I was sick constantly.

Do they give you a diet to follow along too? I remember my mom going on one of those cleanse a few years ago.

I've never actually tried to complete one but it would be interesting to see how you feel during and after the cleanse.

Do they give you a diet to follow along too? I remember my mom going on one of those cleanse a few years ago.

I've never actually tried to complete one but it would be interesting to see how you feel during and after the cleanse.

Yeah - there is a diet that goes with it too- but some of the suggestions are a bit unrealistic- for example

"1 cup of organic freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juice"

As if I would EVER have the time for that!!!!

So I am following it as best I can but not to the letter.

It's hard to tell how I feel on this program because it's confounded by me being sick. Oh well, I'm sure it can't hurt.

Exercise is still not possible as long as I'm coughing like mad. I'll be happy when I can breathe normally without coughing.

• 2 weeks later...

-Horrible week for exercise. My poor child is sick and clinging to me like a little monkey. Until he is better I'm on nurse-mom-duty.

I've still been eating healthy. I actually forgot to eat lunch today (that is odd- it just proves that if you are busy food isnt even a priority) There's certainly no chance to eat out of "boredom" in my life.

This morning I went to my chiropractor's office and noticed that several of his employees looked trimmer and healthier than usual. I asked what everyone was doing, and they told me they were on the "Take Shape For Life" program and that over the past 2 weeks they had lost several pounds. It's supposedly also a good program to lower cholesterol too (which I could use since I have a horrible genetic curse of high cholesterol- my father had a heart attack in his twenties) so I decided it's worth a shot.

I need something to jumpstart my weight loss so I am going to their 5in1 plan for 4 weeks and then transition into their BeSlim club which focuses of keeping the weight off and staying healthy for life. link removed

I hope it works for me- I'm so sick and disgusted with these leftover baby pounds. I want the pounds off- it's almost 2 years after I had my son and I can't seem to lose this last 20 pounds on my own. Now that my chiropractor's office knows about me joining they can serve as my Health Coach and serve as a resource throughout.

I'll continue to post my progress here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived