How long does it take to get calls after applying for jobs?

In today's economy let's just say much longer than it would have been five yaers ago.

I have what seems like a zillion friends laid off right now. The average time frame if i categorized them all and came up with a figure would be anywhere from 2-3 months and the ones who were the most successful in finding one were very willing to take a job beneath their skill and pay levels. Some have been laid off since last october and still looking. Obviously based on skill and the need for a certain pay affect this timeframe either more or less.

SOrry this sounds so grim but it is really ugly.

I know it varies depending on the employer, the number of applications, etc. In general, though, how long have you had to wait to receive a call for an interview after applying for a position?

Well, it takes me a couple of days to sort through resumes etc. If you apply for a job online, it might take about 2 wks to get a call. Wait about a week and follow up with a phone call. That will show interest and they will schedule an interview with you quicker (considering you are qualified)

Also, in this job market today, you need to be aggressive. Start cold calling HR depts. If they do not have openings, ask for a "courtesy interview". This is like a preliminary interview. This will also get you a job that YOU want. Instead of taking something just to have a job.

Ok i originally sped thru your post and read it wrong. To get a call after you apply that does vary. It has taken as long as a month or more on many occasions, especially now that employers are swamped with applications. You might not get a call at all.

I would not 'wait' on it as in waiting before applying for others. Keep on looking and applying in case they don't call.

Longest one I had was two months, which was just hilarious. I had been disappointed not to have apparently even been shortlisted for the job, since that had never happened to me before and I couldn't figure out why, and then two months after I'd applied, and after I'd subsequently even forgotten about it, they decided to phone me up and tell me I'm their ideal candidate and could I come in for an interview. I just laughed and told them that I'd accepted another job six weeks earlier. Makes you wonder what they were doing during that time, and also what sort of candidates they usually get, if they think people will cheerfully hang around for two months while they decide whether or not to pick up the phone.

Longest one I had was two months, which was just hilarious. I had been disappointed not to have apparently even been shortlisted for the job, since that had never happened to me before and I couldn't figure out why, and then two months after I'd applied, and after I'd subsequently even forgotten about it, they decided to phone me up and tell me I'm their ideal candidate and could I come in for an interview. I just laughed and told them that I'd accepted another job six weeks earlier. Makes you wonder what they were doing during that time, and also what sort of candidates they usually get, if they think people will cheerfully hang around for two months while they decide whether or not to pick up the phone.

This typically happens when they had already filled the position - potentially before you even applied. That candidate didn't work out or another employee working in the same capacity gave notice, so instead of putting the job back on the market right away, they screen the stack of resumes or applications previously submitted.

It's a cost and time-saving business practice that can really benefit job seekers as well.

This typically happens when they had already filled the position - potentially before you even applied. That candidate didn't work out or another employee working in the same capacity gave notice, so instead of putting the job back on the market right away, they screen the stack of resumes or applications previously submitted.

It's a cost and time-saving business practice that can really benefit job seekers as well.

Normally I would agree with you, but I happen to know that in this case that wasn't so. They were simply remarkably inefficient as it turned out.

I know it varies depending on the employer, the number of applications, etc. In general, though, how long have you had to wait to receive a call for an interview after applying for a position?

Yeah it does depends on the employer. There are times I received a call 9 days after sending my resume. There are times I received a call the next day, and there were times when I received a call a month later.

i guess the time can vary. sometimes you need to follow up on your application with a phone call yourself but then you need to gauge (sp?) whats the appropriate amount of time after you apply to call...maybe 1-2 weeks...

That is something I never understood. Why do people feel the need to call a employer if they only submitted a resume? To me it shows deperation and always thought it was strange. If you don' hear anything from the employer then you just keep applying to other jobs.

There are a lot of things that can happen. A job might go on hold for budgetary reasons. A hiring manager might be very busy and the opening wasn't critical thus they didn't start interviewing right away. They might be evaluating the internal pool and thinking about making some internal shuffles that eventually just didn't pan out. Too many reasons to even list them all. There is no law that mandates they have to start interviewing and make a decision on week two. I think it a good thing to understand that most jobs are not filled within two weeks, at any company. Most places have multiple interview rounds and background checks and even if the best candidate were selected on week one the "fill" won't likely commence for a few weeks.

I find it odd that people think that companies are doing this just to intentionally make a candidate wait. There is almost always a very legitimate reason for it. And they are not going to lose sleep if anyone just doesn't answer their phone. There are a LOT of candidates out there right now looking for work who will answer. Anyone who has ever worked for corporate america knows there is a certain amout of red tape and whether it is a headache or not, it still happens. And it isn't because some manager decided "i want to make some candidates' lives miserable this month".

Normally I would agree with you, but I happen to know that in this case that wasn't so. They were simply remarkably inefficient as it turned out.

I find it hard to believe that you knew exactly what was going on behind the scenes with this particular opening. In most cases the ONLY people who know the exact reasons for a delay would be the HR person and the manager. Everyone else in the dept or company usually are only speculating about the reasoning behind it.

I find it hard to believe that you knew exactly what was going on behind the scenes with this particular opening. In most cases the ONLY people who know the exact reasons for a delay would be the HR person and the manager. Everyone else in the dept or company usually are only speculating about the reasoning behind it.

I find it hard to believe you challenge something without any evidence This was an academic job, so there is no HR person or manager, and I know the person who was in charge of the interviews and the head of the department, and all of the personnel moves in and out of the department that year.

I find it hard to believe you challenge something without any evidence This was an academic job, so there is no HR person or manager, and I know the person who was in charge of the interviews and the head of the department, and all of the personnel moves in and out of the department that year.

Doesn't matter if it is corporate or academia, there are processes that not everyone is going to be privvy too. And pretty unprofessional for things about the process to be shared with you whether you know the person or not...I surely wouldn't believe a person who is sharing info about this stuff with their friends or colleagues, especially if that person was part of the interview process. not to mention if this person was a friend or colleague it surely backfired on them that they shared anything at all with you since you stated They were simply remarkably inefficient as it turned out. . Makes them look like an idiot.

Archived