Getting back together really does happen!

It does happen, my uncle and my aunt have gotten through thick and thin, despite breaking up in the past. They got back together and continued on with the relationship for years.

2nd story: They were college sweethearts in the first year. Unfortunately distance played a role alonside with their hectic school schedules. Eventually they broke it off. 4 years later the met up, got back together, and have been married for 2 years!

3rd story: Close friends, they went out for close to a year before the girl ended it with the boyfriend. Boyfriend was confused for the most part, the girl was devastated as witnessed by me. A few months later, they meet up, get back together and are still going on strong for their technical 3 year anniversary!

Getting back together really does happen. As long as both parties are mature about the break up, mind games aren't played, and most importantly a period of positive change and growth has occurred.

Good luck to everyone!

to me getting back together or breaking up for good is not really the point: it is really in not losing yourself and realizing life IS full of change... whether you're with someone or not...so many people pine for another to be 'back together' as they feel ''completed'' by that other person (a myth) or because they're not taking responsibility for their own happiness/growth....this is what I'm saying: that as long as you're still growing into a more loving open hearted flexible person this is the most important thing...

sometimes it takes a breakup to bring these issues home as I am painfully learning: that NC in its truest form is about coming home to a better YOU: not in wanting your ex back...because once you're in a healthy zone it matters less if you're with another or not as you'll be more aware that there are other ways to also get love in its myriad ways to fill your heart...

in short: sometimes we're with someone and sometimes we are not along life's sometimes tumultuous journey...but it is always with OURSELVES that we will travel in life so have to take care of ourselves as best we can.

• Like 2

My grandmother and my grandfather broke up for about a year back in high school. Didn't speak for a year, saw other people, thought they had no feelings for eachother, AT ALL! He called her up one day and asked her to the movies and that night she ditched her rebound guy and they have been married over 40 years now.

A couple of my friends have broken up and got back together after being in long relationships 2-3years.

I spoke to one of them after their breakup (it was him who broke up with her). He said he was doing alright and that he had been thinking about ending it for a while. but comes to a few weeks later and their back together. I dont know if they went though no contact in this time, but i guess he realised he missed her.

Its been almost 2 weeks since my ex broke up with me. Im trying no contact for now, but its hard as were in the same group of friends and are going out for a meal for his birthday this weekend.

Reading these stories has made me feel better about everything. Im going to give it time but hopefully this can happen for me to.

• 1 month later...

I have got to bump this one up. There are some great stories in here. Sometimes we just have to let fate and faith take the wheel and see what happens. I do believe that if two people are meant to be together that they will find their way to one another. Im on a little over two weeks of NC after my fiance broke up with me. He is 3 years younger and has alot of growing up to do but he used that line that he just doesnt feel that way about me anymore. We had been together for 6 years and friends for 8 so thats b.s. to me. Anyways, if he is there in the future great but if i find someone else who can do it better or can fullfill my needs than that is where i will go. Thanks for all the POSITIVE posts. There is no need for negativity. Anything can happen, never say never, and things happen for a reason although we might not know why at first.

i have another example........pink and her husband just got back together! AFTER she wrote "so what"......hahahaha! let that be inspiration!

I don't know how much we can compare our lives to those of Pink and some motocross boy, but make note that it took them more than a year to reconcile.

I wish 'em well.

What are the odds of a girl coming back after breaking up when you already live together?

There aren't really any statistics on this sort of thing. You can't really predict if/when people will change their minds about things. Too many unknowns. Same basic formula as goes for everyone else: SPACE & TIME.

There aren't really any statistics on this sort of thing. You can't really predict if/when people will change their minds about things. Too many unknowns. Same basic formula as goes for everyone else: SPACE & TIME.

Space and time...how can I do this when I live with her? And I'm not trying to sound abrasive here. I just need a strategy to win this thing.

I'd like to also mention that I am not moving out and neither is she...as far as I know.

Space and time...how can I do this when I live with her? And I'm not trying to sound abrasive here. I just need a strategy to win this thing.

I'd like to also mention that I am not moving out and neither is she...as far as I know.

There is no no strategy or win. Its not a war. It feels like a game but its not.

Why are you continuing to live together. How close are the quarters? Maybe you should move this to its own thread.

Has anybody ever had someone come back to them who left for someone else? That's what my boyfriend has done and at first I thought it was better that he had left for someone else rather that just because of me...because I thought that if the only reason he left was for her, then if it goes wrong why wouldnt he come back? but now I am not so sure because he has someone else to occupy his thoughts etc.. Does it ever happen that they come back?

It happens all the time. They realize the person they left for wasn't all they thought it would be. The thing is, if they jumped ship for someone else, when you take them back whats not to say they wont do it again???

Has anybody ever had someone come back to them who left for someone else? That's what my boyfriend has done and at first I thought it was better that he had left for someone else rather that just because of me...because I thought that if the only reason he left was for her, then if it goes wrong why wouldnt he come back?

Yeah, of course. My first college girlfriend left me for another guy, and about 18 months later she resumed contact. A few months after that, when we were actually back together, she spent half her time telling me what a Neanderthal the guy was. (Er, I coulda told her that from Day One.

I just actually recently have began talking to a Ex befor this latest one. After about 2 years of not talking. But it was a very weird situation so we both were not that hurt after we decided to become friends. She got married and now has 4 kids. I am happy for her but yes people you once had feelings for and a thing with do sometimes come back. Sometimes they dont.

Hi. Does anyone have any stories about a girl who dumped a guy and it came as a complete surprise for the guy? The girl then went on to another guy who kept her 'extremely happy', at least in the beginning. Are there any stories of the girl breaking up with this new guy and going back to the old one who never stopped loving her as long as they were together (and even after that really). Would love to hear something like that. How long did it take?

Hi. Does anyone have any stories about a girl who dumped a guy and it came as a complete surprise for the guy? The girl then went on to another guy who kept her 'extremely happy', at least in the beginning. Are there any stories of the girl breaking up with this new guy and going back to the old one who never stopped loving her as long as they were together (and even after that really). Would love to hear something like that. How long did it take?

Yea it happened to me. It's ALWAYS a surprise when they leave. I'm married btw.

She left me for another guy (moved in with him) and came back after 3 months. She left AGAIN 6 months later since she never got over that guy (still in honeymoon stage) and came back AGAIN 5 weeks after that. She stayed about a month before leaving a 3rd time and was gone for 4 months (living with him again).

Today she hates the other guy and has moved back in our house that I was selling (I'm staying at my brothers) and desperately wants our marriage to work. I made every mistake in the book but I also read many books and took many people's advice. At the end of the day, it was me giving up on her that brought her back. I finally stood up and stopped being so nice and pushed for the divorce which caused her to panic.

My history of being nice to her helped no doubt but if I had to do it all over again, the first thing I would have done is filed for the divorce to get her attention and appear strong then gone NC, only responding to emails at my leisure and never anything personal. That's what help get her back this last time.

She's pretty much mine now and promises me she'll stay forever and that she made many mistakes and all of this mess is her fault. I'm trying to reconnect with her but it's hard because of all the damage she's done. Still, I'm going to try anyway since she does seem remorseful this time. I'll probably move back in this weekend.

Wow Rob, seems like you have been through some real tough times man! Good to see you are still holding up and that its all looking up for you eventually.

But I had a couple of questions for you. Firstly, what kind of girl is your wife? My girl is extremely bull headed about what she wants (particularly in a relationship). She throws tantrums when she doesn't get it. And she really feels unhappy when she doesn't get what she wants (doesn't throw tantrums as just mind games or something). She wants her guy to go through hell and back to get her whatever she wants. Having said that, she is a real darling. She will love anyone she commits to completely and absolutely. She will go to unbelievable lengths herself to make sure her guy is happy. Sometimes I was really surprised at the stuff she was willing to do to make me feel good. But I also think, sometimes she is a little immature, in what she wants. She doesn't acknowledge that there are real problems that people can have that can keep them from doing what they would love doing in a relationship. She is extremely insecure and craves for attention and the feeling of being loved. So yea...thats what my girl is like. How does your wife compare to that.

Secondly, I would like to know what was the type of guy your wife left you for. The guy that I have been dumped for is a complete doormat in my opinion. I think he knows it and loves being that way. However, that is working for the two of them right now and she seems to be 'extremely happy'. He is willing to do anything she wants him to and even more, not caring if she is being unreasonable. He will probably do something more intently if he knows its something unreasonable. From what I know, he is somewhat a freak, creepily obsessive. But then, he IS very nice to her and thats what she loves about him. They have been in the relationship for around 2 months now. From the look of things, the honeymoon phase for them looks like it will last longer than it does for other couples.

How do you read my situation? Whats your gut feel? I, from my side, have already cut off all ties with her and made it clear that I will respond to her only if I see a clear intent of getting back together from her side. I don't see it happening anytime in the near future though. Unless a dramatic development of some kind was to happen (therefore highly unlikely).

Please let me know what you (and others) make of my situation and how it compares with yours.

Like Rob said, most breakups that happen are complete surprises. Such was the case for me. I would not have been surprised 6 months earlier, b/c of some stuff that was going on. However, I had a conversation with my ex and things started to go great (in my mind). Then the breakup came, which seemed to totally come out of left field for me. One of my ex's friends was there to console her and they started dating within less than 2 months. I think it was a proximity thing (and feeling old) b/c the 2 definitely are not a match. Anyhow, that's where it stands now. It's been 5+ months since the breakup. I have given up on things, even though I feel like she will always be a part of me (long relationship). I try to tell myself that I wouldn't take her back, but the reality is that I probably would if given the opportunity. I did a lot to make her leave (long story).

Please let me know what you (and others) make of my situation and how it compares with yours.

Not worth contemplating. You can't control what your ex does, as I hope you have come to realize. You should just assume that she will remain with this guy and you should try to move on. It seems like once someone moves on, the ex starts knocking on the door again. It's really a win/win situation then. You have moved on, so have found happiness without your ex or your ex comes back, which is your goal considering you're on this board.

Right now, it seems like you are still grabbing at straws. No one on this thread can tell you what the outcome of your situation will be. There is no point dwelling on it. Just try your best to move on (easier said than done).

Well I completely agree with what you are saying. But thats the faculties of the mind I am talking about. The heart wants what it wants. I am trying my best to move on. Not getting in touch with her is the first step. And I am sure I can do it well. But somehow, when I start thinking about the times that we have had and start correlating it with where she is right now, with whom, and doing what, it bugs me. It may reduce with time. But you know how it is. At some level, I don't want to get over her, probably. It comforts me to think about her, I guess. It might prove to be harmful in the bigger picture, but as I said, these things are largely out of our control and will reduce only with time. Till then, I am basically looking for perspectives. Something comforting. Something that will give me some reasonable hope of getting back one day. So that I can just take that hope, put it somewhere at the back of my mind and move on. I think if I tell myself that I will get her back only if I get over her completely, it will help me get over her. Ironic isn't it? Anyway, so thats the reason I am looking for people's perspectives on this. Its not that I am expecting things to improve because ten people have told me they will improve. It's something to do with the heart. The mind is already over her. Hope you understand.