Anyone here a waiter? Is it as bad as they say?

I'm a student at university and I have a full load of classes. My goal in life is to become a vet. I volunteer once or twice a month at an assistance dog center and just recently got offered a job at a vet clinic every other Saturday, plus possibly some off hours as needed.

Needless to say, I’m busy (but not overwhelmed, until finals roll around…) but I’m still very strapped for cash. I was hoping the job at the vet clinic would be more hours…..but it looks like I may need a second job to bring in some cash flow.

I was thinking about becoming a waiter. I’ve heard its good money. But is it as bad as they say? I’m assuming I’ll have to give up my Friday and Saturday nights, since those are probably when the restaurants will need someone the most, especially someone who only wants to work one or two nights a week.

Any advice on being a waiter? Is it worth it? Do you really make a lot in tips?

Or, does anyone have any other ideas for super flexible part time student work?

I think it's worth it if you have the personality for it. One of my good friends growing up was a waiter/bartender at a few different places over many years. He made a lot of money. But he also had the personality for it which was obvious.

I don't have it. I doubt I'd make much and I'd be miserable doing it. So I think it depends on whether it's a job that really fits you.

Whoa! $300-400! That would be amazing. Probably wouldn't make that much just starting out, but it's nice to know there's lots of potential!

When you worked what was your night like? What were your hours? 4-11ish?

I was just starting out. It's all in WHERE you do it.

The hours were HORRIBLE (as I said, I did banquets). I would go in at 11am and not get out until midnight or 1am some nights. I'd come in and set up the weddings (tables, linen, glasses, silver, etc). So for the first half it was a lot of mindless prep work, but when the guests arrived it was BUSY. Oh man, I worked outside and the walkways were this horrible uneven cobblestone. I tripped numerous times at night haha!

If possible, do banquet serving. I've done both regular restaurant and banquet and made significantly more doing banquets (Generally, the people hosting are required to pay a 20% gratuity, which is split amongst waitstaff).

lost!, while you were in school, how much did you work?

I started out working about 3-5 days a week (but not always full 8 hour shifts, sometimes quite small shifts) but then it just got too much for me and my study was being neglected. So then after that I generally worked about 2 shifts a week, usually the weekend, and OCCASIONALLY a short shift during the week (but not often). It really depends on how much money you need to make, and how much you are willing to work before it starts to get in the way of your study! I wouldn't feel bad for not working much at all while you study - in my view, study comes first.

Might as well ask me to invent a new propulsion system that can accelerate to the speed of light in ten seconds.

Well I managed to be all of those things at once, it's not very difficult...

Cairo, I just don't think I can work from 11am -1am. I was hoping to just work Friday/Saturday nights, because honestly that's all I have time for. I'm assuming the banquets were mostly weddings? Probably on Saturday mornings, would be my guess, and that's when I'll be working at the vets every other Saturday.

Lost! Thanks for your quick reply. 2 nights a week is all I'm planning on, too. You're right, studies come first. I can work for the rest of my life, but I need to get good grades now. so I can work where I want to work for the rest of my life! Heh.

Well, this was a very, very high end place that required a TON of setup! It's not normal for a banquet serving job.

The last place I worked at...their servers would do actual shifts so half would come in for the set up and part of the wedding and the other half would come in for the end and cleanup. The 13 hour day was not typical. Just a bad one!

Cairo, I just don't think I can work from 11am -1am. I was hoping to just work Friday/Saturday nights, because honestly that's all I have time for. I'm assuming the banquets were mostly weddings? Probably on Saturday mornings, would be my guess, and that's when I'll be working at the vets every other Saturday.

Lost! Thanks for your quick reply. 2 nights a week is all I'm planning on, too. You're right, studies come first. I can work for the rest of my life, but I need to get good grades now. so I can work where I want to work for the rest of my life! Heh.

Exactly! And keep in mind not all waiter jobs have bad hours. Only apply for jobs that have hours that suit you, or make sure to tell your future employer what hours you are available and willing to work. When I was waiting I usually worked Friday nights and Saturday lunch/afternoons. I never came accross any dreadful hours, and if I did, I simply informed my boss that I could not work them.

Cairo, what was the name of the banquet hall (if it was a national chain of some sort?)

I know there's something similiar to where I work, but a friend worked there and they really liked people to work Saturday during the day and late into the night. And Saturdays are sort of scarce for me right now!

lost! I'll have to start applying a few places!

I just wanted to hear some general feedback about being a waiter. It sounds like fairly good feedback so far! Thanks!

Cairo, what was the name of the banquet hall (if it was a national chain of some sort?)

I know there's something similiar to where I work, but a friend worked there and they really liked people to work Saturday during the day and late into the night. And Saturdays are sort of scarce for me right now!

lost! I'll have to start applying a few places!

I just wanted to hear some general feedback about being a waiter. It sounds like fairly good feedback so far! Thanks!

No, it wasn't a national chain..but it was the Perry Hotel in Petoskey, MI

link removed

It's a historic hotel built in 1899. Beautiful place.

I've done a done of serving, waitressing, barwork, catering banquest stuff in my time.

Sometimes, like cairo did, especially for weddings and such, I would arrive at 10 in the morning, set up for the wedding, and be there until 2 or 3 in the morning. I like having a job while on my feet.

I never made 400 bucks a night.. never.

I made some decent cash during my waitressing days, but I never made the bucketloads like people say they do. I've even worked as a server last year just on weekends as an 'extra' to help a friend out. It also helped that it was a 'help yourself' policy to the wine at the wine bar I worked at.

I also helped my friend out with her catering company once in a while and she pays a flat rate of $25 per hour cash and then usually the people at the event give you an extra 50 or so as a tip. so not too bad.

I would go back into serving again, but it's not really a good career option, especially when I've been doing other jobs now for a while...but I really miss it. I like jobs where i'm busy busy and on my feet and interacting with people all the time. This is what a lot of people DON'T like about it, but it's what i do like about it.

Then main requisite is that you are an attractive female. Level of customer service is not usually a concern. In Australia a lot of them that hire the young girls are places where the staff are generally rude. Here, the worst customer service (but also the best) you can find comes from restaurants.

Not sure about the US, as they depend on TIPs I think it is a little different.

Then main requisite is that you are an attractive female. Level of customer service is not usually a concern. In Australia a lot of them that hire the young girls are places where the staff are generally rude. Here, the worst customer service (but also the best) you can find comes from restaurants.

This is not true. Where I worked in my teens, most of my colleagues were older females or guys. The main pre-req is customer service traits... of course it is a concern.

That is not really helping. Point is you're female 20 years old and assuming you are reasonably attractive you'll do well as a waiter i,e you'll get a job somewhere.

Lost lets do an experiment.

I'll put down that I am male 25 working for the government looking for after hours work interests include (under hobbies/extra activities section of resume) football, cricket, work experience 5 years customer service (retail hardware) and 3 years sales experience.

Strong commitment to customer service and achieving sales targets.

See how many replies I get, I'm thinking zero.

I'll change my name to Sarah 25 doing a masters in psychology interests include (under hobbies/extra activities section of resume) working out, triathlons, hanging out with friends and my puppy! work experience includes 5 years customer service (retail clothing) and 3 years sales. Also looking for after hours work.

Bright and bubbly personality.

Sarah will get the most replies. Why, nature of the business, it is a good business model. I always go to the place with the youngest and best looking women.

Op - you'll do fine. Just have confidence the rest you'll pick up as you go along.

That's bull.. when I worked at a cafe one of the long time servers was 42, bald and had a moustache that made him look like a child molester and always raked in good tips.

You always talk about servers having to be pretty and girls but this is not true at all.

Archived