"Giving up the party life" means what?

dr_styles

Most people in my age group, well Gen Y, basically has the whole party thing going on. Drinking, clubbing, dancing, yada yada yada. And dare I say also making idiots of themselves, and no general respect, but that's another rant

I hear/see of a lot of people getting onto say 30 give or take, who talk about "settling down", and "giving up" the partying lifestyle. What the heck does that mean exactly? OK so they stop going out every weekend ... what do they do instead? As a 24 yr old guy who's never been into that stuff at all, it's almost as if I have to wait 5+ years to get involved.

A good analogy could be dating after reading that thread, where a more serious-than-usual young guy/girl will have less odds of someone similar till they get older with more people getting serious.

Most of the time it means you focus on different things.

For example, you decide a career or family or other hobby is more fun/important than partying. You only have so many hours in a week, and if you're out late drinking and then hungover and lack of sleep, it is hard commit to other things in life.

Eventually most people have a kind of epiphany where they say to themselves, this clubbing is the same old thing, getting boring, tired of spending Sunday hungover, can't do X very well if i'm tired or hungover, spend all my money on drinking and want to buy some nice furniture instead etc. So they get bored with the scene and find other things taking precedence.

People who don't club constantly have other things in their lives... other hobbies, taking care of children, saving money to go on holidays rather than spending it on clubs and drinking, having dinner with friends and parties at home rather than going to clubs, enjoy spending the evening with loved ones watching a DVD rather than drinking, sports, or working out etc.

A lot of people make the change when they wake up one day and realize they are unhealthy from all the drinking, their head is fuzzy, they reek of cigarette smoke, feel sick etc. As one ages, it is harder to recover from lots of alcohol and it takes the toll on the body, and people get tired of feeling tired, sick, hungover. When you're young, you can drink a lot and stay up all night and still be fresh the next day, but as you get over 25 or so, that starts to change.

I have older friends who are in 12 step programs. I'm very familiar with the text and principles of such programs, and it's interesting what they say about the demographics in such programs...

If s/he is under 30, then they were forced into the program by the courts/rehab. Once people hit 30, it's a milestone, and many take a look at their lives and realize what a mess they are in and they begin attending AA, NA, etc., to clean up their lives. You will find many 30-35 year olds in 12 step programs seeking help, but those same people were partying in their 20s and living it up. Not all ruined their lives, as you'll find doctors, lawyers, etc., in such programs, but many dug themselves into personal/financial messes and are seeking help.

I stopped partying hard around 25 and focused on other things. It's not easy as many people are still partying, but you can find like minded people. I basically realized that I spent a good 50-100 bucks on booze the night before, and all I have to show for it the next day is a headache, a bladder that won't completely empty, and I'm down 50-100 bucks.

I'm much younger then and I'm really not that into the whole partying lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I do like to go out and have a good time. I'm just into going out to club or houseparty and getting smashed. I'm into going out and enjoying myself. You know what I mean, go out with a few friends maybe to a place like Dave and Buster where you could eat, drink and play some games and more importantly have some real fun. Or even take a trip tp Niagara Falls for the day and go around Cliffton Hill and into the arcade and all the attractions.

Settling down would pretty much be growing up and acting your age. It would like giving up the hardcore party style and be an adult. Acting mature. No more coming home smashed all the time. Really, like calming down the lifestyle and going out to clubs everynow and then but not all the time. Putting your priorities in front of you instead of putting them behind you.

For me I'm more settled down side I guess you could say. Since I'm not into that kinda stuff. Plus, I have different priorities in my life. My priorities are meeting a new girl, have all kinds of fun with the new girl, graduating college this semster, starting my business (either automotive or carpentry), going back to college in September for a different program, grow my business...etc

Personally, I like parties kinda like bbq`s. Where you go get a drink, get some food, go around socialize with other people there. Have some discussions with a group of people. Stuff like that. I don't know maybe its just cause I'm european and I've been raise with like the older european logic of raising kids.

Archived