Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Buy From Breeders/ Pet Shops

lost!
    Gold Member

Don't Buy From Breeders/ Pet Shops

Reading various posts on here, and talking to people who are interested in buying dogs, it has come to my attention that so many people find certain breeds of dogs intriguing or even 'fashionable' in some cases, and are hooked on buying that certain breed of dog to own. So many people buy dogs from dog breeders and pet shops while perfectly beautiful animals die in animal shelters because there is nobody who wants to adopt them. Throughout my life I have had 3 pet dogs, all of which were adopted from animal shelters. They were the most beautiful, friendly, happy, and healthy dogs I had ever met, and all three lived very long lives.

I have seen many posts on here about people saying they are going to go buy this breed, or that breed, but before you purchase a pet I would like to urge to think about adopting from an animal shelter instead. All dogs in animal shelters go through health examinations and personality tests. Millions of dogs each year are put down because the animal shelters can't afford to look after them forever, and nobody will adopt them. Buying from dog breeders also endorses puppy mills, terrible places where dogs are harvested like crops and treated terribly, just to make money on pure breeds and breeding.

For more information you can check out the following websites I found recently:

link removed

link removed

I'm sorry if this is off-topic or has already been discussed but it just came to my attention after reading the pet forum and I felt the need to say something about it.

nutbrownhare
    Platinum Member
    Yes, ages ago, when my then partner and I decided to get a dog, we got one from the local dogs' home. We asked if there was a 'death row', which there wasn't, so we looked at all the doggies. I'd had an idea at the back of my mind as to the look of the dog I'd like - but the one who was beaming 'Take me home with you!!!!' into our brains was nothing like that. As so often happens, you don't choose your pets - they choose you.

He was wonderful. I still have his photos, and losing him was losing one of the family.

Jetta
    Not all breaders are bad. My brother plans on becoming one. He won't run it like a puppy mill, not the way he treats his baby.

adommin
    I completely disagree with your assumption that all breeders are directly involved with "puppy mills." Just because people choose to buy from breeders rather than adopting does not make them bad people, as I feel your post borders on insinuating. Yes, dogs from shelters are just as good as pure-bred dogs purchased from breeders, on that I agree, but they are not better. I don't think anyone deserves to be looked down upon for making the conscious decision of a pure-bred over an adopted dog.

greensleeves
    While I agree that adoption is a good choice for many people, others choose a specific breed because they can expect certain personality traits or temperment, have allergy concerns or simply because they have a preference for that particular breed.

People do need to be educated about puppy mills, but I don't agree that it's fair to say that purchasing from a breeder endorses puppy mills. There are many excellent breeders and anyone choosing to purchase a purebred should research the breeder to ensure that they're respected and reputable.

hers
    Thank you for posting this. Buying from a breeder isn't the saame as buying from a puppy mill though. Buying from a pet store is what advocates puppy mills.

There is an alternative to purchasing a dog from a breeder if you want a specific breed--look into rescues. I'm very partial to boxers & will always have one, but my next one will be purchased from a rescue. There is a rescue for every breed if you want a specific kind of dog.

No not all breeders are bad but unless you are going to enter thm into shows, they don't need to be bred. Just b/c you have a pure bred dog doesn't mean you have to breed it. There are millions of dogs who are put down every day b/c people aren't spaying & neutering their pets. Until that's under control, breeding should stop.

219 animals are put down here in Atlanta EVERY DAY. Please think about what you could be contributing to before you buy a dog or breed one--you could be responsible for other dogs being put down b/c you wanted to make some extra moiney.

lost!
    Gold Member
    Exactly. Not all breeders are bad - and I wasn't saying this - I was just bringing up puppy mills because they do exist and are often associated with pet shops. Even if a breeder is fantastic, it is still better to adopt from an animal shelter as many of these animals die if they are not adopted. Most breeders don't euthanize their dogs if nobody buys them. But the dogs at the shelters do die if nobody adopts them. And in addition to this, pet owners need to get serious about spaying and neutering their pets just as hersmudders brought up, to try and lower the amount of stray dogs on the streets.

I know some pet owners would rather go to a breeder to buy a certain breed of dog, but I was simply just wanting to let people know that they should at least consider adopting from a dog shelter as an option when thinking about getting a new pet.

thejigsup
    I bought two cats from pet stores. One, my Siamese, cost me many $, but he is a great cat!!! I got my bf's cat from the same pet store. He was a rescue cat that they had there. They were trying to get him a good home. He was free, all I had to do was get him neutered and get him his vaccinations. Many pet stores sell or give away rescue cats. They are great pets that would go to a kill shelter otherwise. I support pet stores and no kill shelters.

greensleeves
    Quote Originally Posted by thejigsup [Register to see the link]
    I bought two cats from pet stores. One, my Siamese, cost me many $, but he is a great cat!!! I got my bf's cat from the same pet store. He was a rescue cat that they had there. They were trying to get him a good home. He was free, all I had to do was get him neutered and get him his vaccinations. Many pet stores sell or give away rescue cats. They are great pets that would go to a kill shelter otherwise. I support pet stores and no kill shelters.
    That's a really good point. Up here in Canada we have a large chain of pet stores called PetSmart. They don't sell puppies or cats from any breeders, but they have an adoption centre where local shelters take turns bringing in the animals that are available for adoption, even bunnies sometimes.

lost!
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves [Register to see the link]
    That's a really good point. Up here in Canada we have a large chain of pet stores called PetSmart. They don't sell puppies or cats from any breeders, but they have an adoption centre where local shelters take turns bringing in the animals that are available for adoption, even bunnies sometimes.
    It is a really good point, and fantastic that pet stores are joining in to help combat pet homelessness. I've never seen any pet shops around here do that, but now I shall look into it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Dog Care Post Spay?
Hey eNA! My new dog is getting spayed tomorrow. This appointment was scheduled before I adopted her. I adopted her and then learned about the

Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Iím finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice