Do employers check work history?

Dmd

I've recently been rejected from a few companies I've been applying for. When I followed up to find out the reason, the responses have been the same. Gaps in my work history. My question is this, do employers actually take the time to verify the dates you worked at previous jobs? I'm wondering if it would benefit me to just extend the length of my jobs so they appear back to back on the applications and my resume.

Please add some info with your answer if you're knowledgeable on the subject. Such as, do all employers do it, the methods they use (calling previous employers, tax statements, etc?) and any other helpful information. I would very much appreciate your help. Thank you all!

They always check your last place of employment, many will not go beyond that. If you have gaps the best thing to do is make up a company you started up, looks like your a leader/go-getter and the only reference you have is yourself.

Do they actually check the dates, is it even legal for them to ask anything more than if I worked there or not? Isn't that what they are limited to?

It is odd that they shared this with you. MOst companies don't give specific reasons...they just tell you that they are pursuing another candidate. They speak to far too many people in most cases to get into specific issues or reasons on why they chose someone else.

They do check work history, in most cases. But usually only if you progress to final stages. It is not cost effective to perform a thorough background check on candidates who are not in the final selection stage. And when they do check it usually only the dates of employment are verified, and the salary history. If you are putting the wrong dates on your employment application and they don't match up to what they find when they call the company to verify, that could potentially be a problem. Be very truthful and factual on your application. Most employment applications have fine print that indicate it is a legal document so you are required to represent truthful and accurate information and when you sign the application, that is your testament to the information being truthful.

I was under the impression they are only allowed to contact your referees and not going ringing up past employers to ask about you.

No, if you apply and fill out an application the application will state somewhere on it that it will be verified, the exact language varies from company to company. They just will not call a current employer if you check "no" to verification but most companies will verify it once you tell them you have given your notice.

When my bf is hiring, he has me call every employer for the past 5 years that the applicant lists. We ask them the dates they worked there and if they are viable for rehire. This translates to; "Did they work the dates they said they did and would you rehire them if you had an opening?" This is all legal. Gaps in employment is why it is the kiss of death to take time out to raise your children. It is so hard to get back into your profession once you are out of the loop for any extended period of time.

They defintely do but I think it's the most recent. I remember being sick and depressed because the job I was trying to get called my current supervisor at the job I was currently with and they asked her-"what would you say his biggest weakness is? And she told the employer I was kind of "IMMATURE" Another co-worker overheard her conversation with the employer and I was like-"she doesn't want me to leave?? Why would she said that?-lol

In my case it's only 2 employers on my resume that can be called because I worked 10 years without any gaps.

Archived