Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do employers check work history?

Dmd

Do employers check work history?

I've recently been rejected from a few companies I've been applying for. When I followed up to find out the reason, the responses have been the same. Gaps in my work history. My question is this, do employers actually take the time to verify the dates you worked at previous jobs? I'm wondering if it would benefit me to just extend the length of my jobs so they appear back to back on the applications and my resume.

Please add some info with your answer if you're knowledgeable on the subject. Such as, do all employers do it, the methods they use (calling previous employers, tax statements, etc?) and any other helpful information. I would very much appreciate your help. Thank you all!

george237
    Platinum Member
    They always check your last place of employment, many will not go beyond that. If you have gaps the best thing to do is make up a company you started up, looks like your a leader/go-getter and the only reference you have is yourself.

Dmd
    Quote Originally Posted by george237 [Register to see the link]
    They always check your last place of employment, many will not go beyond that. If you have gaps the best thing to do is make up a company you started up, looks like your a leader/go-getter and the only reference you have is yourself.
    Do they actually check the dates, is it even legal for them to ask anything more than if I worked there or not? Isn't that what they are limited to?

george237
    Platinum Member
    No they are allowed to ask when you started and when you ended. Not illegal, at least in my state. How many gaps are we talking about?

george237
    Platinum Member
    Nevermind we are in the same state. hahaha

JadedStar
    It is odd that they shared this with you. MOst companies don't give specific reasons...they just tell you that they are pursuing another candidate. They speak to far too many people in most cases to get into specific issues or reasons on why they chose someone else.

They do check work history, in most cases. But usually only if you progress to final stages. It is not cost effective to perform a thorough background check on candidates who are not in the final selection stage. And when they do check it usually only the dates of employment are verified, and the salary history. If you are putting the wrong dates on your employment application and they don't match up to what they find when they call the company to verify, that could potentially be a problem. Be very truthful and factual on your application. Most employment applications have fine print that indicate it is a legal document so you are required to represent truthful and accurate information and when you sign the application, that is your testament to the information being truthful.

CaptainPlanet

I was under the impression they are only allowed to contact your referees and not going ringing up past employers to ask about you.

JadedStar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet [Register to see the link]
    I was under the impression they are only allowed to contact your referees and not going ringing up past employers to ask about you.
    No, if you apply and fill out an application the application will state somewhere on it that it will be verified, the exact language varies from company to company. They just will not call a current employer if you check "no" to verification but most companies will verify it once you tell them you have given your notice.

thejigsup
    When my bf is hiring, he has me call every employer for the past 5 years that the applicant lists. We ask them the dates they worked there and if they are viable for rehire. This translates to; "Did they work the dates they said they did and would you rehire them if you had an opening?" This is all legal. Gaps in employment is why it is the kiss of death to take time out to raise your children. It is so hard to get back into your profession once you are out of the loop for any extended period of time.

JadedStar
    ^^ actually i have never dissed anyone with employment gaps for a legit reason, such as time off to raise children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Questions to ask during interview
Hello everyone! I'm going in for an interview for a technical position in my department this afternoon. In his email to me, my boss told me to
Dealing with difficult co worker, advice please
Since graduating from college, I've been working for a few years now and I've never been in this situation before. I'm not sure how best to handle
Tips for Work-life balance?
I'm sure other people here can relate: you wake up early in the morning, go to work for 8 hours, come back home, make dinner, maybe watch TV or read
relocating
Hi... i just want to find out something... i have been a single mom now for 5 months and i am also unemployed.. struggling to find work here and my
CV help
hey guys I would like some help with my CV. I asked for proffessional advice and They said it is good but It needs more detail of the work I did
So lost about future - Study or Masters?
I graduated in Computer Science engineering in the year 2014. I don't have a good resume since my academics is average. I applied for Master's but

online counseling
Featured Threads
Ugly pictures
We had a professional photographer come in at work. I used the photo and put it on my dating profile. But when my Roomie saw it,she said take it
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
I am having difficulty accepting my boyfriends bisexuality for no reason
So here goes; the main reason why I got this account here is probably because I am so ashamed of myself and that because I am surrounded by either
relationship advice
hi... I'll start by saying i'm a guy, i just really needed a woman's point of view for this, so i hope you can help me! My mom is paying for my
Seeing ex tomorrow..so confused. Need advice!
Hi everyone. I'm really confused with my ex. Dated two years; he was very hurt by the breakup. He hasn't dated many people, and I was his first
Needing advice and/or support with ex girlfriend
Ok. Long story short... I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend of 7 years. The last 3 years of which we were in a serious
I really need some advice and a outside opinion
I really don't know what to do ... My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now she is no longer attracted to me but tells me she loves
Ask For Advice