Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Wearing no shirt because it's hot (question for men)

Lucy__lou

Is wearing no shirt in the summer a gesture of machoism? Or am I reading too much into this? How would you feel if some woman asked you to put your shirt back on? e.g. at a friend's house, at a gathering, or at your own house if you lived with her?

I live in Australia, and in the summer, many men will go around without shirts on. Not in the office of course, but at home, at a friend's place, and sometimes in the street.

I'm guessing that if I were to ask most men who will go around shirtless why they do it, they'll say, because it's too hot to wear a shirt. And I know most people think of it as fine and normal. But I often feel like there's probably a cultural element to it as well. I'm of the impression that it's the more gentlemanly men who will wear a shirt when it's hot, and it's the more "I don't care what anyone thinks" types that will take it off.

All I know is that I'm sometimes tempted to tell men to put their shirts back on, but I think it would be stepping too far over the line, so here I am on ENA doing a bit of preliminary homework on the subject, if you'd be so kind as to tell me how you see the act of going shirtless.

Tell me your thoughts. How would you respond?

When I was on the train once in the summer, the weather was sweltering, and of course no A/C on the train. The train was packed and this guy came on with no shirt.

When I say the train was full, it was full, people are back-to-back, chest-to-chest.. Very uncomfortable. And here this sweaty guy comes, with no shirt. I felt bad for the people that were pinned next to him. I honestly thought they should have kicked him off the train.

There is a time and place for that. I think it's okay if you are at the beach/pool or are doing strenuous work outside. Otherwise, shirt on.

Ha! That is hilarious Samedy. Yeah, I agree with that.

I don't think too much about it but I do think there are times and places for it. Working in the privacy of your own yard or it's really hot and it's semi-private (some idea of what company may be coming through), no problem.

Driving around the city with no shirt and chains around your neck almost like it is a fashion statement? Hilarious.

No shirt, no service! lol. For a reason!!

Thanks for your reply Samedy. So given that the train story was about the grossness of having some guy's sweat come in contact with innocent commuters, what do you think of guy's not wearing shirts say, at a home, or a friend's house or BBQ, if their sweat isn't going to be grazing up against any person or couch or anything?

And thanks Itsallgrand, but you too. Why? I mean, if I were to ask some guy to put a shirt on, and he asked me why it was inappropriate to be shirtless, I'd have no answer. It bothers me sometimes, and I feel that it's disrespectful, but I don't have an argument. I don't have a leg to stand on.

I would never ask a male friend to put a shirt on. I would find the person who asked that to be incredibly bossy.

I couldn't care less of a guy walks around without a shirt on.

Obviously not at a wedding, but then again, who knows... if you want a beach casual wedding and that's what makes you happy, then go for it!

Yeah, it's one of those things where I can't really imagine a scenario where I would ask (them to put their shirt on).

It would have to be extreme and truly inappropriate all around.

I can understand though being a bit uncomfortable with it sometimes and wanting someone to put his shirt back on.

But it's a little enough thing, to my mind, that it's "live and let live" on this. If that makes sense? They have the freedom to do it if they want, even if I don't always like it that much. lol.

I would never ask a male friend to put a shirt on. I would find the person who asked that to be incredibly bossy.

Yes, well I realise that it would be perceived as very rude. I mean, I realise it would be rude. Which is why I have refrained from saying anything all these years. But the fact remains, as much as everyone does it and it's considered normal, it annoys me. And sometimes I feel that it is an act of machoism. Like, it's an evolutionary step backward into the stone age. Because today, we aspire towards more gender equality. And that is facilitated by the fact that men wear shirts, thus covering their muscles which, back in the day signified the ability to overpower people with less muscles, such as women (and weaker men).

I saw this show once, years ago, it was probably a doco on body language or something. And there was this scene where there were two men in suits facing each other with a desk between them. And then one of the men took his shirt off. And it was all about how gestures like this can be like the person is saying " I know we have been behaving in accordance with a more civilised, gentlemanly code of conduct so far, based on brains rather than brawn, but I'm tossing that stuff in the rubish now and I want you to know that the power dynamic between us is now no longer about intelligence or wit, but about who can physically overpower the other).

This is kind of what I see being expressed (unconsciously) when men take off their shirts sometimes.

But it's a little enough thing, to my mind, that it's "live and let live."

I'm aware of this sentiment. I believe this is a commonly held sentiment, and that it is this sentiment that is the reason asking someone to put a shirt on would cause offense.

Sometimes, things in life bother us, and we have to endure them until we find the language to articulate why it bothers us. Until we unpack it and bring the problem to light and explain it, we are compelled to just endure it.

I remember back in the day when i didn't even wear shorts because they were indecent

Shorts are indecent! Seriously, the soon they go out of fashion permanently the better. I just wish people in this country would dress a bit nicer, that's all. And you Americans are just as bad!

Thanks for your reply Samedy. So given that the train story was about the grossness of having some guy's sweat come in contact with innocent commuters, what do you think of guy's not wearing shirts say, at a home, or a friend's house or BBQ, if their sweat isn't going to be grazing up against any person or couch or anything?

Well at home is at home. I will often sleep shirtless in the summer (on the particularly hot days) because it's more comfortable.

I think it's alright if it's just at a BBQ amongst friends. Or if it is okay under the situation.

During beach volleyball session, there are many people who are shirtless, so after those nights, when we are sitting around, there are bound to be a number of men with no shirts on. There was one guy at beach who never wore a shift, he eventually got the nickname "the shirtless-wonder".

I would be much happier if we could all walk around naked. Solve so many problems....maybe not in minus 40 celsius.

I spend as much time at home naked a possible. So a man without a shirt is no biggie for me. in fact I like it, especially if he looks good without a shirt on.. yummy!

For me it's not a big deal, now that I think about it. Having lived in FL and CA, I'm used to guys running around without shirts on. They'll drive without them and pull on a t shirt to go into the store or whatever. They'll go shirtless to hang out in the park, or beach, or at their buddies' houses and stuff. Lots of times you'll see them walking through the beach towns that way too.

Never thought about why they do it. Just seemed to me in most cases it was hot outside. The women would wear bikini tops and cut off shirts.... the women were the ones who bothered me, to be honest. (I'm not big on public nudity in town and some women would come extremely close)

Never thought about why they do it. Just seemed to me in most cases it was hot outside. The women would wear bikini tops and cut off shirts.... the women were the ones who bothered me, to be honest. (I'm not big on public nudity in town and some women would come extremely close)

It's whatever is the social norm. I'm from Ottawa, and when I was in middle school there was a whole kerfuffle about women being allowed to go topless, just like men. There was a lot of noise from both sides about it, and in the end, they decided it was okay for women to go topless in Ottawa. That being said, not once did I see a topless woman at a beach or out during the summer.

if he's working in the garage' date=' around the house, or at the beach, it's fine...otherwise i do agree, it's ungentlemanly to go around without a shirt.[/quote']

Well if no one posts again on this thread, I'm relieved that I've found one person in the world who backs me that it's not gentlemanly.

That's what this is really about. I should have simply said in my opening

"does anyone out there agree that it's ungentlemanly for men to go shirtless in some situations? and that they often do so regardless?

I couldn't care less of a guy walks around without a shirt on.

Obviously not at a wedding, but then again, who knows... if you want a beach casual wedding and that's what makes you happy, then go for it!

same response i have ....^^

IF i did this then i'd have to be prepared to tell many women to also put more clothes on because many are half dressed when they have no business being that way, but it isn't my business so I don't worry about it. Some people dress in a way that is offensive but if it isn't breaking the rules it is best not to demand anyone change anything they are doing.

do you consider yourself upper class lucy?

Do I consider myself to be upper class? well the thing is, I live in Australia, where the dominant culture is working class. Mind you, they're often pretty wealthy working class. Cashed up bogans, we call them.

I'm from a working class background, or poor at least, but I never liked the working class culture. (and by that, I'm talking blue collar worker culture, where the males drink lots of beer, and wear unflattering casual clothes whenever they can, and have no class in anything that they do). I'm surrounded by it, and I find it distasteful.

It has nothing to do with my class background, or the class of people I associate with now that I'm more educated. It's more simply me resenting the dominant culture which I'm stuck with. It's a personal distaste I have towards it. And believe me, these Aussies are LOYAL to their way of life. There's no fighting it. It doesn't matter how much money they have, they're always going to be tasteless in the way that they go about their lives, because they think it's the righteous Australian path.

Happy Australia day ENA

Archived