How to get antidepressants without health insurance

schizo

I'm not sure if I picked the right section to make this post, but hopefully I'll find some good advice...

Long story short, when I was around age fourteen, I started dealing with depression and anxiety. I started taking the antidepressant, Lexapro, and saw a therapist regularly.

When I was 17, I moved out of my parents house, and when I turned 18 and was no longer able to be on my parents' health insurance plan, my doctor decides that before he'll renew my Lexapro perscription, he thinks I should see a psychiatrist. I had a couple refills left, but without insurance they cost me $90 a bottle. Also, when I tried to make an appointment with a psych, I was told that I would have to wait months to even see the doctor, and that the one visit would cost me around $400. So...I managed to get myself off of the antidepressants, and I haven't taken them for a little over two years now.

Over this time period, I've still battled with depression and dealing with stress. I just figured that I'd forgotten how to deal with life on my own without the meds. For the most part, I've been doing ok on my own. But the past few months have brought some huge hardships and stressful situations on me, and I'm having a really hard time coping. Today I considered cutting myself, which I haven't done for almost three years now, and I also googled different ways to commit suicide. I think I need some help.

I've tried talking with friends and family. Things that used to help reduce my stress level ((exercise, writing, ect)) aren't helping anymore. I think I need to get back on some medication. Problem is, I don't have health insurance, and I have no idea how to go about getting antidepressants without it costing a fortune, if it's even possible.

Can anyone help?

There are several antidepressants with generics. See if your doctor will put you on Citalopram which is the older version of Lexapro. It's still very effective and it would be covered under the cheap generics available at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens.

Do you have a merci clinic in your area?

A friend of mine goes to our local merci clinic and gets her anti depressants through them.

I tried to google this and all I could find were places in North Carolina. I'm in Utah btw.

Also do you qualify for state aide/insurance?

I don't know...and I don't know how to go about finding out either.

There are several antidepressants with generics. See if your doctor will put you on Citalopram which is the older version of Lexapro. It's still very effective and it would be covered under the cheap generics available at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens.

I don't have a doctor. I don't have health insurance.

I know of a clinic where you pay according to your income. Could I visit a doctor there and see if he'll fill me out a perscription?

I know of a clinic where you pay according to your income. Could I visit a doctor there and see if he'll fill me out a perscription?

Yes, that is basically what a merci clinic is.

They see you and you pay based on your income and situation at the current time. If they can't offer you services they can atleast point you in the right direction of someone who can offer free or low cost.

yes, this is what i would do. sometimes, if a doctor is nice they won't even charge you. ask for a generic anti depressant! i would suggest getting there right when they open, so you can get it... get your prescript, and get filled in one day. if they give you crap about it being busy, tell them it has to do with depression/anxiety and they may bump you up.

walmart is the cheapest, but they kinda are retarded! I would go with longs, and get put on auto-fill.

Archived