Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get antidepressants without health insurance

schizo

How to get antidepressants without health insurance

I'm not sure if I picked the right section to make this post, but hopefully I'll find some good advice...

Long story short, when I was around age fourteen, I started dealing with depression and anxiety. I started taking the antidepressant, Lexapro, and saw a therapist regularly.

When I was 17, I moved out of my parents house, and when I turned 18 and was no longer able to be on my parents' health insurance plan, my doctor decides that before he'll renew my Lexapro perscription, he thinks I should see a psychiatrist. I had a couple refills left, but without insurance they cost me $90 a bottle. Also, when I tried to make an appointment with a psych, I was told that I would have to wait months to even see the doctor, and that the one visit would cost me around $400. So...I managed to get myself off of the antidepressants, and I haven't taken them for a little over two years now.

Over this time period, I've still battled with depression and dealing with stress. I just figured that I'd forgotten how to deal with life on my own without the meds. For the most part, I've been doing ok on my own. But the past few months have brought some huge hardships and stressful situations on me, and I'm having a really hard time coping. Today I considered cutting myself, which I haven't done for almost three years now, and I also googled different ways to commit suicide. I think I need some help.

I've tried talking with friends and family. Things that used to help reduce my stress level ((exercise, writing, ect)) aren't helping anymore. I think I need to get back on some medication. Problem is, I don't have health insurance, and I have no idea how to go about getting antidepressants without it costing a fortune, if it's even possible.

Can anyone help?

Mythical_Suicide
    Do you have a merci clinic in your area?

A friend of mine goes to our local merci clinic and gets her anti depressants through them.

Also do you qualify for state aide/insurance?

calidreamin0
    Silver Member
    have you tried going to walmart or longs? I know walmart fills generics for $4, and longs for $10, this is without much insurance. As long as you have a perscription you should be able to fill it? right?

unless your not on generics, then thats a whole different issue!

Rose21

Lexapro doesn't have a generic.

I'll be 20 soon, but I'm still able to be on my parents health insurance. My parents are going to keep me on it. Why can't yours?

My b-control and Lexapro are $35 each.

paperneck
    see if you can find a way to qualify more medicaid, medicare, or SSI.

6. 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM

avman
    There are several antidepressants with generics. See if your doctor will put you on Citalopram which is the older version of Lexapro. It's still very effective and it would be covered under the cheap generics available at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens.

schizo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythical_Suicide [Register to see the link]
    Do you have a merci clinic in your area?

A friend of mine goes to our local merci clinic and gets her anti depressants through them.
    I tried to google this and all I could find were places in North Carolina. I'm in Utah btw.

Also do you qualify for state aide/insurance?
    I don't know...and I don't know how to go about finding out either.

schizo
    Quote Originally Posted by avman [Register to see the link]
    There are several antidepressants with generics. See if your doctor will put you on Citalopram which is the older version of Lexapro. It's still very effective and it would be covered under the cheap generics available at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens.
    I don't have a doctor. I don't have health insurance.

I know of a clinic where you pay according to your income. Could I visit a doctor there and see if he'll fill me out a perscription?

Mythical_Suicide
    What area of Utah are you in if you don't mind telling maybe I can assist you in finding some place similar to the Merci Clinic.

Mythical_Suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by schizo [Register to see the link]

I know of a clinic where you pay according to your income. Could I visit a doctor there and see if he'll fill me out a perscription?

Yes, that is basically what a merci clinic is.
    They see you and you pay based on your income and situation at the current time. If they can't offer you services they can atleast point you in the right direction of someone who can offer free or low cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Kidney pain with no kidney stones?
I've had a very strange and alarming pain in my left kidney for the past five years. I'm 24 and have had a fair few years of UTIs which were
Easy But Yummy Cooking Tip Using Crystal Lite!
Hey guys, as some of you may know, until recently (like within last year and a half) I rarely cooked, in fact was a pretty crap cook tbh. I
Iím at a stage of giving up on everything??
Iíve been struggling with my physical and mental health for most of my life, I started feeling severely suicidal by first grade. I was diagnosed with
do profound problems require profound answers?
.it seems advice for my issues leads me to profound places of thought. ive done religions,read histories,and studied philosophy and the answer always

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice