Finding it offensive...

hers

I'm 5'0" and 145lbs. I am curvy. I know I'm "overweight" by doctors' standards but I like the way my body is shaped. Sure I think I have my flaws but I don't do anything to lose weight b/c I don't think I need to (unless I need to be healthier).

I hate being referred to as fat. Mostly, I hate when girls noticeably skinnier than I am refer to themselves as fat. I think it's offensive. They aren't calling me fat, but by calling themselves that, I feel that they are saying anyone bigger than thye are is fat.

We all have our insecurities. That's a given. We're human. Some people's insecurity is their weight. I understand everyone sees need for improvement in themselves.

But when you point out how fat you are when you are 5'8" and 120 lbs or something like that, then you are calling me fat indirectly. Thanks for that.

Rant over.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These women who do this are obsessive and will never be happy.

I wouldn't let them bother you.

Please realize when they do this all they are really doing is seeking constant affirmation and fishing for compliments.

I try to remember that, but it's like, when you point out your pooch and "flabby" arms, and then you look at me and say "oh but you're so pretty!", I don't believe you.

I try to remember that, but it's like, when you point out your pooch and "flabby" arms, and then you look at me and say "oh but you're so pretty!", I don't believe you.

To be honest, i doubt i'd take much stock in compliments that come from a person who is that obsessive in the first place. Stick to the compliments you get from non obsessed people. LOL

It's one thing to want to be healthier. Like if you want to work out to get your cardio up or whatever the terms are for working out (i clearly don't know). But to complain about how fat you are right to a person who is bigger, why do that? It's so rude.

My sister does it all the time. She complains she's fat but she is 20 pounds lighter than I am. My strategy is to just come right out and say things like "If you think YOU'RE fat, then you must think I'm the Goodyear blimp!"

Then sit back and watch all of the excuses she will she make up like "Well you have more curves"

My sister does it all the time. She complains she's fat but she is 20 pounds lighter than I am. My strategy is to just come right out and say things like "If you think YOU'RE fat, then you must think I'm the Goodyear blimp!"

Then sit back and watch all of the excuses she will she make up like "Well you have more curves"

Oh yeah, I say similar things... "Really, you're calling yourself fat to ME?" then they get all flustered and are, "ohhh nooo YOU're not fat!!!" uh huh.. okay.

I know what you mean, it happened to me too. Another thing is usually people see their flaws way bigger than others flaws. I told a friend of mine that is obviously bigger than me that she is good in leg area and I swear I MEANT it! cause in her body, her legs were good, not great but not abnormal either. I also told her that she has works to do for her stomach. But maybe if I had her legs I would be insecure!

Good for you if you like how you look. Maybe girls like me should learn from you and accept our bodies.

It's one thing to want to be healthier. Like if you want to work out to get your cardio up or whatever the terms are for working out (i clearly don't know). But to complain about how fat you are right to a person who is bigger, why do that? It's so rude.

i think they may not realize it. some people genuinely have body issues, and will honestly tell you that you aren't fat, even if they are 50 lbs lighter than you and they think they are fat. some people just can't see their bodies for what they are.

anyways - i am glad to hear you love yourself and your body!!! that is great. definitely - it is a good way to look at things - to try to get healthier instead of trying to conform to someone else's standards. you can do it!

A a former anorexic, let me translate this:

"Well, honestly, I wouldn't like to be as heavy as you, but you can get away with it because it passes on you and you are pretty and confident, so that all makes up for your extra weight. I could never get away with that weight because I don't like who I am inside and have to work really hard just to be good enough on the outside, let alone the inside -- a problem you clearly don't have, smudders."

So take it as a compliment, as well as a statement about their own anguish.

Also, some thin girls actually think that they'll make a heavier girl feel less self-conscious about her weight (assuming she does feel self-consious, which maybe is presumptuous) if they basically say "See? Even thin girls like me have to worry, all women have to worry, I'm not off the hook either, you're not the only one who feels you've got to measure up." Kinda twisted, yeah, but it might be that sometimes, which is a feeble attempt to make you feel worrying about weight isn't just your issue because you're heavier.

A a former anorexic, let me translate this:

"Well, honestly, I wouldn't like to be as heavy as you, but you can get away with it because it passes on you and you are pretty and confident, so that all makes up for your extra weight. I could never get away with that weight because I don't like who I am inside and have to work really hard just to be good enough on the outside, let alone the inside -- a problem you clearly don't have, smudders."

So take it as a compliment, as well as a statement about their own anguish.

yeah - i agree. some people just really have body image issues, and what they are saying is a reflection of themselves, not necessarily a statement to you to lose weight!

i think they may not realize it. some people genuinely have body issues, and will honestly tell you that you aren't fat, even if they are 50 lbs lighter than you and they think they are fat. some people just can't see their bodies for what they are.

anyways - i am glad to hear you love yourself and your body!!! that is great. definitely - it is a good way to look at things - to try to get healthier instead of trying to conform to someone else's standards. you can do it!

Amen to this post! All of it. It's true: not always is it about fishing for compliments.

And kudos to you for being comfortable in your own appearance!

yeah - i agree. some people just really have body image issues, and what they are saying is a reflection of themselves, not necessarily a statement to you to lose weight!

hard not to take it that way when you're a chunker though

ugh, Jen needs a self-esteem boost. Majorly.

hard not to take it that way when you're a chunker though

ugh, Jen needs a self-esteem boost. Majorly.

Mehgan too.

God I'm in such a bad mood tonight. Sorry for my rantings, eeryone. It's not intended at anyone specific, but it's just something I'm tired of.

people who are 120 lbs and think they're fat:

1- maybe dont have a "normal" perception of what they're own body looks like. so they are seeing themselves as bigger then others and aren't happy with how they look.

2-at that moment have no right realistic idea about what fat and skinny looks like. to me it seems they mostly go by what they see on tv (celebs) and that's their way to measure up. so even if they do indirecly call you fat, ignore it b/c they obviously don't know the celebs have their fat sucked out, go on diets, have trainers, get massages to "release toxins, etc", get enemas, and the list goes on... just to look the perfect way they do.

3-could just be that they feel their body isn't perportioned right and so let's say they have a big butt/big thighs/big boobs/stomach or any other one, and they immidiatly think "oh i'm so fat!i need to lose weight so i'll not have such a "huge" butt". when really it's the porportion which bothers them.

little do they know maybe some guys actually like those parts about them..

i don't whine about my weight, i'm 130 or sometimes less, and dont see myself as fat.. i do tend to sometims make comments that i wouldnt mind losing a few lbs so i can lose my belly weight since i dont feel it's the right porportion.. doesnt mean anyone else weighing more then me is fat though.

Archived