I feel like I still need to tone up. Should I?

Rose21

I thought I had gained some holiday weight and I'm always pretty uptight around my weight. I work out mostly everyday, even if I don't go to the gym much I do all my work outs at home and eat mostly healthy. Indluging in junk and sweets every so often (I have a sweet tooth and starbucks addiction!) My boyfriend says that's the only thing that's keeping me at a healthy weight. I'd like to loose 5 more lbs, just that much no more, but everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

Today when I was over at my friends house, her mom took our measurements and calculated our fat % online just for the fun of it. Her mom was like, "Honey, I really don't think you realize how thin you've gotten in the last year" I knew I was thin, but not THAT thin. I was shocked when I saw the fat %.

I'm 19 years old, will be 20 in a few months, I'm 5"3 and 112 lbs. My chest was measured at 34", my waist at 24", and my hips at 36".

We looked at the fat % and it said 11-17% was in the VERY LOW category. My friend got 17% and she's shorter then me, and I got 11%! Below the VERY LOW.

This perplexes me, because I honestly don't see myself as that skinny! It could just be because I have alot of muscle, and it's more muscle then fat because it weighs more. I'd like to get down to about 105-108.

What do you think?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't pretend to understand women and their weight, but I think you need to ask yourself why you want to lose 5 more pounds. Obviously you don't need to, so you would need to come up with a good reason for it. Why put the effort in if it's unnecessary? I knew a girl who was 5'1 125 and extremely attractive. One would never look at her and think she's overweight. But what it comes down to is, are you comfortable with yourself?

Kaotic baby, see that's the thing. I see girls that are my height and soo much thinner then me, or even taller and they are perfectly healthy.

Yet I've been getting comments from doctors, friends parent's, friends, and my boyfriends, that it wouldn't hurt to gain a few.

And I'm like "Seriously?! Why!"

Your my height and the ideal weight (I think) I would want to get to without losing my curves. Not sure if our opinions will make you change your mind about wanting to lose the extra 5lbs but: I say don't bother losing it, just maintain the weight you're at now.

Btw: why do you want to lose an extra 5lbs? Certain problem area?

Kaotic baby, see that's the thing. I see girls that are my height and soo much thinner then me, or even taller and they are perfectly healthy.

Yet I've been getting comments from doctors, friends parent's, friends, and my boyfriends, that it wouldn't hurt to gain a few.

And I'm like "Seriously?! Why!"

supposedly the "goal" weight for someone our height is around 115-130. that doesn't take into account body TYPE though. really anywhere between 100-145 can be okay depending on your body type (muscle weight vs no muscle, etc.)

you look perfectly fine, rose. don't change it.

Well, you're just a hair bigger than me. I'm 34, 23, 33 and 5'1. I have a lot of muscle but am getting buffed up again after a layoff for injury and illness recovery. My norms are same measurements, but about 16% bodyfat.

The trouble with losing body fat is that your hormones get screwed up. You can stop having periods and other side effects because your body needs some fat as a woman.

I think you should look into toning, but also alter your diet so that you can get your bodyfat levels boosted a bit. That's through healthy eating, not pigging out, of course. Maybe you're overdoing the workouts - burning too many calories that you don't replace?

I think I have love handles and big thigs.

WE often think the worst of ourselves. Im five foot eight and probably not fat but not skinny. 'Slender' Size eight. (big boobs dont help make me look bigger than i am) and I oftne hate how I look.

But Im telling you now you have a stunning figure! and no love handles!!

Aw well thanks, that makes me feel good and I often get that, but I still just don't feel that it's enough.

My boyfriend is like, "Babe your too skinny! Don't loose anymore weight, and don't even think about loosing your butt!!" lol

Yeah my boobs come in at like a 34C and I wouldn't want to loose them, and I have a nice butt (according to most) except my friends' mom said I had no butt=( Not true!

But with sweaters and shirts, I'm usualy always a size XS wth a few exceptions. Sometimes that's even too big for me.

And I get most of my Jeans at Hollister and I wear a 1 skinny there, and O's some other places. No matter what the brand, odds or evens, I can never fiit over a 3.

Archived