Brain Tumor

So my doctor suspects I have a Pituitary brain tumor.

I need an MRI and it's so far out of my ability to pay I can't even consider it right now.

You know what is sick? I couldn't afford to save my own life.

If something was really wrong, I would just have to let it go. And millions of other in worse shape with more to live for.

*expletive*

I am really lost right now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the above poster about accumalating debt for medical procedures. It is possible to later file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy (medical bills are one of the major reasons why so many individuals file for Ch. 7).

I'm not an expert on bankruptcy law but it is something you might want to look into further (as an option of last resort)...

The US healthcare system really sucks, I know.

it sucks with a capital S. when i lived in europe we never had to worry about paying whenever we got sick.

here ppl avoid going to the doctors because they cant afford it, my sister was just denied medicaid because they said her income wasnt low enough to qualify

a single mom with 2 kids living off one income.. its ridiculous.

sorry to hear about your situation iphigenia...

Im pretty damn sure you can get whatever treatment you need though.. your still a living human being right?

Im sure someone will chime in soon with good info, otherwise do some reasearch on the net or start calling different hospitals to get whatever info you can get (if u havnt already).

good luck.. and have faith.

I agree with the above poster about accumalating debt for medical procedures. It is possible to later file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy (medical bills are one of the major reasons why so many individuals file for Ch. 7).

I'm not an expert on bankruptcy law but it is something you might want to look into further (as an option of last resort)...

MRI's are not overly expensive. Now 1,000 might put you over the limit but if you get a 0% cc then it will only have a min payment of $30 a month or so.

MRI's are not overly expensive. Now 1,000 might put you over the limit but if you get a 0% cc then it will only have a min payment of $30 a month or so.

An MRI is usually anywhere between $200-$2000 (most being around $400-900) .. One that is more indepth (as those used for brain tumors and the like) usually are well over the "average" cost.

I'm not sure though, but I don't think hospitals require you to pay up front for services. They usually bill you, I think. Could you get the MRI done and then establish a payment plan with the hospital?

Babii doll, I have insurance and even I avoid going to the doctors as much, because the co-pays can pile up too. Also, I have to pay about $350 for three months supply of three different meds.

It's crazy out here.

I'm not sure though, but I don't think hospitals require you to pay up front for services. They usually bill you, I think. Could you get the MRI done and then establish a payment plan with the hospital?

They will not schedule the appointment without proof of ability to pay. If you are fortunate enough to have insurance they call your insurance company for pre-approval of coverage for the cost of the mri.

They will not schedule the appointment without proof of ability to pay. If you are fortunate enough to have insurance they call your insurance company for pre-approval of coverage for the cost of the mri.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know that. I know when I had my MRIs done (I had a cyst that ended up having to be removed), even after the insurance paid the bill, I still owed a small sum and I made a payment arrangement to pay it off in 3 months.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know that. I know when I had my MRIs done (I had a cyst that ended up having to be removed), even after the insurance paid the bill, I still owed a small sum and I made a payment arrangement to pay it off in 3 months.

I'm not sure how the imaging company determines the acceptable covered percentage of the total bill.

Check this out:

link removed

I don't know Michigan laws, but I think most state ER's cannot refuse care to you if you are uninsured.

You could perhaps get your MRI there. The states I have been to do not refuse care to patients in the ER only.

I am so sorry you are going through this news and distress.

Hugs, Rose

Archived